• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Messaging Apps ... Telegram, What's App, Messenger, etc etc etc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As far as I am concerned they are just polluting my phone with more and more apps.

My family is on SIGNAL
One of my property managers is on Telegram
Some friends & my real estate guy is on What's App
One of my co-coaches is on FB Messenger

Why the heck can't people just TEXT from their phone instead of all these other apps?

I do appreciate that What's App, Messages and Telegram work on Apple Car Play in hands free mode but am bothered that FB Messenger and Signal don't offer that functionality. I'm sure there are a dozen other messaging applications but it seems like we are at the over-kill point with all these things.

Clearly I must be missing something . . . can someone enlighten me?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't do any of that. Just texting or good ole' make a phone call.
I was considering getting something for international usage. I "think" with whats-app, once connected to WiFi, you can make international calls. Not sure.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like BC I use text messages and prefer them to email or anything else. I had never heard of telegram or signal. I heard of What's app and grudgingly use FB messenger when I have to. For Marketplace it is the only way to contact the seller or buyer so it works I guess.

Maybe the other apps offer more security via encryption or folks just want to be different. If there are advantages I would be interested in knowing them also.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like BC I use text messages and prefer them to email or anything else. I had never heard of telegram or signal. I heard of What's app and grudgingly use FB messenger when I have to. For Marketplace it is the only way to contact the seller or buyer so it works I guess.

Maybe the other apps offer more security via encryption or folks just want to be different. If there are advantages I would be interested in knowing them also.
These 3 apps work domestically and internationally over WiFi, so free international texting and even video or voice calls.
  • What's App
  • Signal
  • Telegram
I've used What's App and Signal with family overseas, with text, voice and video. Never used Telegram with family/friends outside of the US, but it is supposed to work. Signal does NOT work with Apple CarPlay, but both What's App and Telegram both work with CarPlay.

All 3 are supposed to be encrypted, What's App is reported to be the LEAST secure of the 3 options. Signal (is/was) the most secure of the 3 options. But I'm neither a spy nor a terrorist and don't need/care much about the security issue.

I like the messaging apps that work with CarPlay because it allows hands-free control, will read the texts to me, do a good job with outgoing voice-to-text too. So SIGNAL and FB Messenger don't work with CarPlay.

My real preference is simple TEXT messages. They work. Simple. Built into the phone. Also works with Apple CarPlay.

The one that annoys me the most is FB Messenger. But it just makes me nuts that I have so many because it seems like each person has their own preferences. I only have SIGNAL because my family uses it. If they would switch to What's App or Telegram I'd delete SIGNAL from my phone.
*** Not sure which work with Android Auto, but I would presume that if they don't play nice with Siri/Apple CarPlay then they probably don't play so nice with Android Auto???​

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bob. Good rundown on those apps.
But, what about apple car play? Do you need a touch screen in your car for that to work and does your vehicle have to have that built in or do you add it on? Heard of apple car play never saw the need to even try to use it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I should note that each of the Apps has other features.

Some have 'channels' that you can follow or watch. Others have various other functions. They allow you to share videos, photos, etc. I don't use any of those things except sharing pictures with family. But there are a lot of functions in each, that set them apart from each other, that is probably why some people prefer one app over another.

To my simple mind, it's just clutter.

Thanks Bob. Good rundown on those apps.
But, what about apple car play? Do you need a touch screen in your car for that to work and does your vehicle have to have that built in or do you add it on? Heard of apple car play never saw the need to even try to use it.
2 of our vehicles have CarPlay built in.

Honestly after having it, I love it.

Phones are a huge distraction, but a huge convenience.

CarPlay lets you get your texts, calls right through the car's audio system, but also integrates with Maps for navigation, various music programs, Audible and Amazon Music, audio books, various podcast sources, weather radar, as well as utilities like Park Hero to reserve a parking spot in major cities, order your Dunkin' Donuts coffee/food orders, etc.

Nice thing is that if you are listening to a book, or podcast, and the navigation breaks in, it auto-pauses your book, plays the navigation, then switches back to book/podcast. Similar with incoming phone calls. Similar with incoming and outgoing messages through Apple's Message, What's App and Telegram. So very deeply integrated so the various apps don't step on top of each other, but rather play nice.

CarPlay ONLY works with 'apps' that use Apple's Siri. Android Auto is very similar, similar functionality, for use with Android phones.

For whatever it is worth, there are standalone CarPlay/Android Auto devices that hook up to older vehicle's AUX input jacks, or via FM signal, to convert an older car audio system to give it added functionality. Not sure if those work or not, I've never used one.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
CarPlay lets you get your texts, calls right through the car's audio system, but also integrates with Maps for navigation, various music programs, audio books, podcasts as well as utilities like Park Hero to reserve a parking spot in major cities, order your Dunkin' Donuts coffee/food orders, etc.

Nice thing is that if you are listening to a book, or podcast, and the navigation breaks in, it auto-pauses your book, plays the navigation, then switches back to book/podcast. Similar with incoming phone calls. Similar with incoming and outgoing messages through Apple's Message, What's App and Telegram. So very deeply integrated so the various apps don't step on top of each other, but rather play nice.

CarPlay ONLY works with 'apps' that use Apple's Siri. Android Auto is very similar, similar functionality.
Daughter bought a new RAV-4 couple weeks ago. She was abundantly clear that she wanted Carplay or similar.

Reactions: Doc

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I use the phone's app for texting and Facebook messenger only.
Can't tell you the last time I sent anyone an email lol

Reactions: Doc

Smilingreen

Just send me a text message or a e-mail. I'll get around to looking at it when I do. It might be today, it might be 2 weeks from now. I might respond back to it tomorrow, maybe in a month or maybe never. I don't use phone apps, haven't had a fake book account in over a decade. I have no earthly idea what the other apps are. If they made just a flip phone with as good a camera in it as my Apple 12+ has in it, I would buy that. I don't use any of the other crap on the phone. I use a MAC mini with 2- 27" monitors to look at things on the internet. If I am at home, the phone stays on the charger the whole time in the back bedroom. Definitely not a slave to the thing.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I have WhatsApp to keep in touch with my son when he is in Dubai, the UK or in Spain. That's about all I use it for. I don't text very much and I probably call even less. Really, I don't know what the hell I have one for. I forget to carry it most of the time. In many regards I am a lot like Smilingeen.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I use texting and Facebook messenger. No use for anything else. I don't have time to manage 12 different social media accounts and apps just so I can keep in contact with you.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use texting and Facebook messenger. No use for anything else. I don't have time to manage 12 different social media accounts and apps just so I can keep in contact with you.
Well that, I suppose, is one of the nice things about CarPlay I don't have to manage anything.

The messages just pop up, regardless of their source (as long as CarPlay compatible), and get read out loud over the car speakers. Also lets me respond with just voice only so no distracted driving and fumbling with a phone. Facebook Messenger is one of those things that does NOT work with CarPlay.

Also a nice thing about an iPhone. . . but I presume Android has similar functionality. Regardless of the source, a notification pops up on my screen, I also have my flashlight "flash".

So no need to manage these various things.

It just bothers me that I have to have so many simply because each circle of people I belong to seems to have chosen a different app. Every single one of them is just a TEXTing service, granted some have additional features (which I don't use), and since all are just TEXT messages, why can't people just use the one built into their phone???

Smilingreen

Well that, I suppose, is one of the nice things about CarPlay I don't have to manage anything.

The messages just pop up, regardless of their source (as long as CarPlay compatible), and get read out loud over the car speakers. Also lets me respond with just voice only so no distracted driving and fumbling with a phone. Facebook Messenger is one of those things that does NOT work with CarPlay.

Also a nice thing about an iPhone. . . but I presume Android has similar functionality. Regardless of the source, a notification pops up on my screen, I also have my flashlight "flash".

So no need to manage these various things.

It just bothers me that I have to have so many simply because each circle of people I belong to seems to have chosen a different app. Every single one of them is just a TEXTing service, granted some have additional features (which I don't use), and since all are just TEXT messages, why can't people just use the one built into their phone???
"why can't people just use the one built into their phone???"
Probably because the general population has been sold on the baseless concept that there is something special about an app. The only ones that are special is the creators of the app. You sold your privacy down the drain when you agreed to the TOS and download the app. The app creators have front row access to every single person in your address book, what phone numbers you have called or received, what web pages you look at, what other apps you use and some have access to your photo gallery and camera. All that is given up to have a app with worthless formatting and graphics......