• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

looking to get healthier and more fit?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . I also find drinking more water helps eat less
TRUE

Many times we eat when we are simply thirsty. I learned that during this process. I also found out that if I eat high moisture foods (celery, tomatoes, etc) that it also helps.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had a couple good days, no problem 'closing my rings' lately. Coached fencing at the club on Monday, down at Purdue/W.Lafayette on Tuesday, back at the local club last night. And each day I got in some treadmill time.

Weight is holding pretty firm in a pretty tight range, right around 174. I no longer feel fat. Wearing size 32 Wrangler causal pants this morning and feeling good about my body shape. Still looking for more muscle across the upper arms/shoulders but NOT working do build that muscle because I've been sort of sore with arthritis.

90+% of my workouts since my arthritis started flaring up before Thanksgiving have been simply treadmill fast walking, sometime walk & run. 10% of my time has been with the resistance bands. I need much more weight work.

On the bright side I finally got my new arthritis meds and hopefully the meds will start to work over the next couple of weeks. 2 stomach shots yesterday. 2 more in 2 weeks, 2 more in another 2 weeks. If that starts working then 2 every 4 weeks.

Did I mention that I have an irrational fear of needles? Not fun. I could never be a junkie. But if it stops my pain and fatigue I'll do it. But damn, F-me. I hate shots. Unless they are whiskey.

IMG_6574.jpeg

Last edited:
I've had a couple good days, no problem 'closing my rings' lately. Coached fencing at the club on Monday, down at Purdue/W.Lafayette on Tuesday, back at the local club last night. And each day I got in some treadmill time.

Weight is holding pretty firm in a pretty tight range, right around 174. I no longer feel fat. Wearing size 32 Wrangler causal pants this morning and feeling good about my body shape. Still looking for more muscle across the upper arms/shoulders but NOT working do build that muscle because I've been sort of sore with arthritis.

90+% of my workouts since my arthritis started flaring up before Thanksgiving have been simply treadmill fast walking, sometime walk & run. 10% of my time has been with the resistance bands. I need much more weight work.

On the bright side I finally got my new arthritis meds and hopefully the meds will start to work over the next couple of weeks. 2 stomach shots yesterday. 2 more in 2 weeks, 2 more in another 2 weeks. If that starts working then 2 every 4 weeks.

Did I mention that I have an irrational fear of needles? Not fun. I could never be a junkie. But if it stops my pain and fatigue I'll do it. But damn, F-me. I hate shots. Unless they are whiskey.

View attachment 160208 down at Purdue/W.Lafayette on Tuesday, back at the local club last night. And each day I got in some treadmill time.

I’m sorry.. you somehow double posted in a single post.

In any case glad you lost weight. I’ve lost weight too. For me I find it a struggle to lose weight via exercise, I’d say diet is the key. Not just about calories but also fibre, protein, water intake... and all that.

It’s such a struggle when you wanna lose belly fat but you end up losing it all over, you can’t control WHERE you lose it. I don’t know about you though?

Btw what was the purpose of your mention of needle fear?

I literally have needle phobia. I faint whenever I have a blood test or vaccination unless I lie down during it, and even the sight of a needle makes me queasy. There’s a term for this phobia but I do not remember. Can google if interested.

Is it something like that for you ?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
New gun belts arrived today. My old one wrapped 1/2 way again around me. New belts are sized properly so I don’t look like I have clown clothes on anymore. 👍

I have to give myself 2 shots in my stomach for each dose of my new arthritis medicine

Oh gosh, I know people with arthritis and none of them have to take shots for arthritis!!
I know with type 1 diabetes the PITA it can be taking shots everyday. Be grateful you don’t have that in addition to your arthritis - imagine that ;)

I wouldn’t wish my needle phobia on my worst enemy (not that I have one, need I mention I am glad) Do you have symptoms like mine?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh gosh, I know people with arthritis and none of them have to take shots for arthritis!!
I know with type 1 diabetes the PITA it can be taking shots everyday.
My daughter is a Type 1 Diabetic. Here in the US most are treated with an insulin pump instead of shots with each meal and then a night time shot too, that was far more common 15+ years ago. But since the advent of insulin pumps most care for Type 1 uses those pumps, 1 insertion every 3rd day. A tube feeds insulin through the insertion point.

As for arthritis treatments, again, here in the US, we've been using injectables for probably 20 years. Far better disease control using "biologic" type medications than simple drugs like methotrexate. And we still very commonly use methotrexate in combination with various injectable drugs. I had been using Humira, which I injected, but it used a preloaded pen style injector. Worked for me for quite a while.

My daughter is a Type 1 Diabetic. Here in the US most are treated with an insulin pump instead of shots with each meal and then a night time shot too, that was far more common 15+ years ago. But since the advent of insulin pumps most care for Type 1 uses those pumps, 1 insertion every 3rd day. A tube feeds insulin through the insertion point.

As for arthritis treatments, again, here in the US, we've been using injectables for probably 20 years. Far better disease control using "biologic" type medications than simple drugs like methotrexate. And we still very commonly use methotrexate in combination with various injectable drugs. I had been using Humira, which I injected, but it used a preloaded pen style injector. Worked for me for quite a while.
Most people here in the UK uses injections rather than pumps ! I wonder why anyone would choose needles :)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most people here in the UK uses injections rather than pumps ! I wonder why anyone would choose needles :)
I wonder why anyone would use injections rather than pumps! Given that data that proves people on pumps have far greater control of their diabetes, far lower and more consistent A1C levels than people who use preloaded pens. And the preloaded pen injectables for daily care are also wasteful with lots of plastic and packaging expense compared to pumps.

I wonder why anyone would use injections rather than pumps! Given that data that proves people on pumps have far greater control of their diabetes, far lower and more consistent A1C levels than people who use preloaded pens. And the preloaded pen injectables for daily care are also wasteful with lots of plastic and packaging expense compared to pumps.
💯

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No explanation for it but I've not had any prescription pain pills this week. I had my last dose of my old arthritis meds 10 days ago, first dose of my new meds on Wednesday of this week. This new injectable is supposed to take 6 to 12 weeks before I feel positive effects or even know if it is going to work.

But I'm feeling good. Closing all "my rings" on my AppleWatch this week.

I think I have created a new healthy lifestyle through daily repetition. Same routine.

Wake up about 5:30am, bathroom break, get on the scale, take morning medicine, go get an espresso in the kitchen, take my blood pressure, get another espresso and head down to the family room. Watch TV news, check FF's while drinking espresso #2, then do at least 30 minutes of workout.

That is pretty much my early morning routine almost every day for the past 5 months.

Figured out that it also had the side benefit of delaying my breakfast by several hours. I used to get my espresso and make food and just eat, with such an early breakfast I often ate 4 meals a day. Now I find that exercise actually abates my hunger, so I often eat very late breakfasts that are closer to lunchtime. Which then pushes my lunch to mid-afternoon. Which then lets me eat a light dinner about 6pm and go to bed without feeling hungry.

174# on the scale again this morning. Feel good about my weight.

No explanation for it but I've not had any prescription pain pills this week. I had my last dose of my old arthritis meds 10 days ago, first dose of my new meds on Wednesday of this week. This new injectable is supposed to take 6 to 12 weeks before I feel positive effects or even know if it is going to work.

But I'm feeling good. Closing all "my rings" on my AppleWatch this week.

I think I have created a new healthy lifestyle through daily repetition. Same routine.

Wake up about 5:30am, bathroom break, get on the scale, take morning medicine, go get an espresso in the kitchen, take my blood pressure, get another espresso and head down to the family room. Watch TV news, check FF's while drinking espresso #2, then do at least 30 minutes of workout.

That is pretty much my early morning routine almost every day for the past 5 months.

Figured out that it also had the side benefit of delaying my breakfast by several hours. I used to get my espresso and make food and just eat, with such an early breakfast I often ate 4 meals a day. Now I find that exercise actually abates my hunger, so I often eat very late breakfasts that are closer to lunchtime. Which then pushes my lunch to mid-afternoon. Which then lets me eat a light dinner about 6pm and go to bed without feeling hungry.

174# on the scale again this morning. Feel good about my weight.
Glad you feel good about your weight :)

What workouts do you do?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lately mostly the treadmill, typically walk, fast walk and run. Typically 30 to 50 minutes. But when my arthritis wasn't acting up so much, I really enjoyed the rowing machine. An exercise bike is semi-torture, but I have one of those too and have put many 'miles' on that too. I also have pairs of small dumbbells, 4 to 15 pounds. What I enjoy are resistance bands and have an adjustable bench with resistance bands as well as wall anchors for resistance bands.

Lately mostly the treadmill, typically walk, fast walk and run. Typically 30 to 50 minutes. But when my arthritis wasn't acting up so much, I really enjoyed the rowing machine. An exercise bike is semi-torture, but I have one of those too and have put many 'miles' on that too. I also have pairs of small dumbbells, 4 to 15 pounds. What I enjoy are resistance bands and have an adjustable bench with resistance bands as well as wall anchors for resistance bands.
Ah wow!

How much can you lift?
I can just about pull 1 set of 8 reps of shoulder presses with 6kg dumbbells

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
6kg is roughly 14 pounds. I typically use lighter dumbbells and more reps. This morning I used 6 pound weights, but for about 5 full minutes.

Another weekend with foster son Kobe and fencing tournaments. So no workouts again. Really hate that. Ate badly too. Pizza on Friday night. Fried chicken and hamburgers at the fencing tournament.

Snuck in 20 minutes of speed walking on the treadmill this morning. Getting ready to pack up Kobe and cart him off to daycare. I'll get in a real workout mid-morning. I lead fencing practice today at school so closing my rings should be pretty easy to do today.

Looks like my foreseeable routine is going to be NO weekend workouts, followed by full weeks of workouts.

FWIW, Saturday at the Great Lakes JV Championships, my saber boys took Silver, Bronze, 5th and 16th places out of 71 competitors. My saber girls took Bronze and 6th (50+ competitors). So I'm pretty happy with the results. Foil girls took Bronze, 5th and 8th place medals. (top 8 earn medals, over 70 in the competition).

6kg is roughly 14 pounds. I typically use lighter dumbbells and more reps. This morning I used 6 pound weights, but for about 5 full minutes.

Another weekend with foster son Kobe and fencing tournaments. So no workouts again. Really hate that. Ate badly too. Pizza on Friday night. Fried chicken and hamburgers at the fencing tournament.

Snuck in 20 minutes of speed walking on the treadmill this morning. Getting ready to pack up Kobe and cart him off to daycare. I'll get in a real workout mid-morning. I lead fencing practice today at school so closing my rings should be pretty easy to do today.

Looks like my foreseeable routine is going to be NO weekend workouts, followed by full weeks of workouts.

FWIW, Saturday at the Great Lakes JV Championships, my saber boys took Silver, Bronze, 5th and 16th places out of 71 competitors. My saber girls took Bronze and 6th (50+ competitors). So I'm pretty happy with the results. Foil girls took Bronze, 5th and 8th place medals. (top 8 earn medals, over 70 in the competition).
Mate, I haven’t exercised cardio in a month now. I find myself getting breathless easy with a tighter chest than usual during exercise.

I find that my cardio fitness limits my strength... pressure spikes and all that

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been a couple weeks since I gave an update.

Pretty much giving up on exercising. Not that I want to. But my arthritis just a constant problem now and my body is sore. Not the muscle soreness, but joint soreness. Pretty much sticking with the diet. My weight has crept up a couple pounds. Right about 175#.

Doctors started me on an injectable medication called Cimzia (photo several posts above), but it takes 6 weeks to 3 months to actually start showing results. I'm on it for less than a month right now. Humira injections stopped working and I was on a double dose of that; whatever residual effect I was getting has worn off. So I'm on pain pills. What works best is a combination of a mild opioid + 3 ibuprofen, 2 to 3 times a day.

On a good day I will walk on the treadmill. But nothing on the rowing machine or the bike. No resistance bands or dumbbells. I'm not happy about an of this and really just want to get back to some daily exercise.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
173.4# on the scale today. So weight is staying off.
BP 127/74

I'm happy to report that my new arthritis medicine (cimzia), which require me to give myself 2 shots in the stomach, seem to be working. Finally. I noticed last week that my full body aches and pains began to diminish. 3 Opioids + 9 Advil per day diminished down to 1 + 3. And now just the over the counter meds on most days.

Resumed workouts again yesterday. Closed all my rings. Hoping that the continuation of the new meds continues to help. I still get sore but at least I am not living in daily pain. Hoping to continue the workouts every day.

Maybe push down into the upper 160's weight range? But for now glad to be back to workouts. Even when I couldn't workout I did a good job of sticking to the diet. Really look at all this as a total lifestyle change/upgrade and I have no desire to get on a gain/lose/gain/lose weight roller coaster.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like my Cimzia injections are actually starting to work. Less daily pain and some days nearly pain free. So that is good.

Went to the doctor for an early morning visit today, fully dressed, shoes on, with a SA Hellcat in a Crossbreed IWB holster, on the official scale at the doctor's office this morning my weight was 180.4#. I have to say I was pleased with that weigh in.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lately my diet has been semi-crap. I start the day great but a few days a week I finish the evening badly. Not binge eating or stuffing myself, but tossing down extra calories that I really don't need.

My aches and pains returned. I think the meds are starting to work, but not fully in effect yet. Weight climbed up a few pounds and I topped over 177#. 177# was my goal weight, so going over that was a major smack to my ego.

Exercise is slightly better. Probably now 4 days a week, mostly just treadmill, but closing my rings, on average, every other day. No weights or resistance bands because of my arm, shoulder and hand pain. Acute pain in the right elbow area has me wearing a 'tennis elbow' band, which is helping somewhat.

Weight has dropped down below 177# again, so I'm back under my 'goal' weight. Barely. Last 3 days . . . 176.0, 176.0 and 176.2#. A bit too close for comfort, looking to get back down a few more pounds just as a safety margin.

Next arthritis injections are coming up on Tuesday, looking forward to giving myself shots in hopes to continue to reduce the pain. I've cut back on the opioids but still taking them pretty much daily, just lower quantities.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
175.8#, first time back under 176.0 in a week or so.
BP 123 / 83 with 70bpm

Workouts have gotten "better" but are still just limited to treadmill. My arms are too sore to do any weights or resistance band work. The treadmill sessions are somewhat faster, speed walking with a bit of jogging. Inclines are alternating between 2 and 10 degrees.

2 more Cimzia injections to my stomach today for my arthritis and hoping for the next level of relief to come in a couple days. I hurt daily, usually afternoon, requiring 1 tramadol + 3 to 6 ibuprofen. That is dramatically reduced from 3 + 9 (or more). But the arthritis pain is certainly impacting my ability to do better workouts.

Ordered some Korean and Japanese food ingredients from Amazon to add some additional flavors to my diet. I do wish turkey sausage tasted like pork sausage! Can't say I miss beef, I do sneak in the occasional burger without being dumb, so no fries on the side.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dropped back down into the 173/174# range for the past several days. So I'm pretty happy with that. Wearing new waist size 34 Wrangler blue jeans today and they are annoyingly loose at my waist.

I did NOT take any pain killers for my arthritis all week. While I do not think the Cimzia is fully effective yet, I have to say that my quality of life has improved.

Despite the weight loss over the past 6 months my diastolic (the lower number) blood pressure is still too high. I average in the mid 80's and it really should be 10+ points lower. The number often drops as weight drops, but that does not seem to be the case for me.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
178.1# on the scale
118/84 for my blood pressure
heart rate 68bpm
97% blood oxygen

Struggling with the diet, struggling with the exercise, weight is see-sawing between 178# and 173#, but I'd say it is ever so slowly creeping back up.

Fencing competition season is winding down into the championships, it is also tax time, altering investments, trying to follow the IRS rules, so lots of stress in my life, and all happening just before we fly to visit with our foster sone to our daughter in California for a week. Not to mention remodeling the fencing club and part of our house. Did I mention stress?

Seems like I get started each day pretty well, 30 minutes of exercise, good breakfast (healthy, moderately low calorie, filling) and then I sort of fall apart by evening. Either activity falls off, or food intake ticks up, or both. Not like I ever sit down and power down food. But I tend to pick a little of this, a little of that, a portion size that is just a bit bigger than it should be . . . all that stuff adds up.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tuesday was a couple ounces over 176#

Yesterday I went for a colonoscopy. If anyone wants to know, there is roughly 3.5# of partially digested food in you at any moment. The deep clean from the industrial strength laxative gets rid of that pretty quickly (and violently).

This was my 4th visit to be anally probed because I'm high risk and honestly I was semi-terrified of this visit. Each prior trip they found pre-cancerous polyps, I have risk factors/family history for colon cancer. And I've had recent health issues, medication failures, etc and figured that there might be something seriously wrong. Turns out that I got an ALL CLEAR (in more than 1 way) from the doctor.

This morning I'm back up to 175.0#, but that includes a 9 White Castle Cheesburgers that I pounded down after the procedure and the mandatory 36 hour clear liquid fasting required by the doctor.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with the pump and also a great tool is a CGM...
Type 1 for 26 years
My daughter is Type 1, she was diagnosed approximately 15 years ago. Been on a pump for 13-ish years.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still injured. And lately I've been eating crap food. I try to watch it, but I give in. Pushing a bit harder on controlling the food. Quality and quantity. On the scale at 179# this morning. Looking to get back down the lower/mid 170's.

Body is/looks flabby. From a torn bicep that is finally healing to a torn rotator cuff that is starting to heal, I'm just in enough pain that I don't even want to ride a bike or get on the treadmill. It is amazing how long it takes to heal from what seem like minor injuries. 2+ months for the torn bicep and that in only just less painful, so I figure end of summer for that injury to really be healed? Torn rotator cuff, this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've done that! That is a 4 to 6 month healing time. So probably not getting much motorcycle riding in this year!

I've started back with giving beginner fencing lessons. That gives me a little bit of activity, but last night I was using the arm, that is actually in a shoulder brace. Maybe not a wise idea. Maybe a really dumb idea. Prescription pain killers with an Advil chaser first thing this morning.

Before my medication failure for my arthritis, which was then followed up by an injury, I was actually getting toned. Now I just look flabby again, even if I'm still at a reasonable weight.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Still injured. And lately I've been eating crap food. I try to watch it, but I give in. Pushing a bit harder on controlling the food. Quality and quantity. On the scale at 179# this morning. Looking to get back down the lower/mid 170's.

Body is/looks flabby. From a torn bicep that is finally healing to a torn rotator cuff that is starting to heal, I'm just in enough pain that I don't even want to ride a bike or get on the treadmill. It is amazing how long it takes to heal from what seem like minor injuries. 2+ months for the torn bicep and that in only just less painful, so I figure end of summer for that injury to really be healed? Torn rotator cuff, this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've done that! That is a 4 to 6 month healing time. So probably not getting much motorcycle riding in this year!

I've started back with giving beginner fencing lessons. That gives me a little bit of activity, but last night I was using the arm, that is actually in a shoulder brace. Maybe not a wise idea. Maybe a really dumb idea. Prescription pain killers with an Advil chaser first thing this morning.

Before my medication failure for my arthritis, which was then followed up by an injury, I was actually getting toned. Now I just look flabby again, even if I'm still at a reasonable weight.
My knee injury is healed up but I'm still wearing the brace when I work outside. Im healed up enough to start working out again and I'm going to give it a try next week