• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Go for a ride in side a tire with balance beads

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never heard of balance beads before. Looks interesting. Wish they would have shown a tire without their beads so we could see the difference.

Kevlar

We use them in our semi steer tires, hard to say for sure if they help, our roads are pretty rough. First time the tire shop put them in, they just tossed the entire bag in the tire when mounting it, they never told me they did that and when I got out on the highway the bag hadn’t broken open yet and it shook something awful. I took it back thinking they had mounted something wrong, that’s when they told me what they did. For people doing a lot of slower driving I have concerns about the beads wearing away on the inside of the tire, I know on the semi tires there is definitely black powder inside when you take them off.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We use them in our semi steer tires, hard to say for sure if they help, our roads are pretty rough. First time the tire shop put them in, they just tossed the entire bag in the tire when mounting it, they never told me they did that and when I got out on the highway the bag hadn’t broken open yet and it shook something awful. I took it back thinking they had mounted something wrong, that’s when they told me what they did. For people doing a lot of slower driving I have concerns about the beads wearing away on the inside of the tire, I know on the semi tires there is definitely black powder inside when you take them off.

I don't know about wear but they do polish the inside of the tires from the couple I'v seen at the tire shop I go to.

FTG-05

They are called dynamic balancers and if used correctly they work very well.

I used to use BB's and beads, but now I just antifreeze. A couple ounces is all that's needed (there are tables out there for amounts per tire size); don't even have to take the wheel off the vehicle; just jack the vehicle, remove the Schrader valve, then use 1/4" tubing to suck the liquid in. Easy peasey.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never heard of balance beads before. Makes sense. But I wonder if they would work in a tire that is smooth inside? That tire he used had little ridges where the beads could secure into as the RPMs increased. Would they work at all in a smooth tire? Would they be better in a tire with a smooth interior?

FTG-05

Never heard of balance beads before. Makes sense. But I wonder if they would work in a tire that is smooth inside? That tire he used had little ridges where the beads could secure into as the RPMs increased. Would they work at all in a smooth tire? Would they be better in a tire with a smooth interior?
The beads go where the imbalance is. Inside surface is irrelevant.