• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Elvis...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Presley that is..
Was he overrated?
Did you like him? Do you like him still?

I never understood what the huge fascination was with him, even though I do like many of his songs and some of the old flicks he did back in the day.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I never understood all the hoopla.
yes, I enjoy a lot of his songs -- sometimes even better when done by someone else, (cheap trick comes to mind) but I have never understood the mass wailing and lamentation on his b-day and/or anniv of his death.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Same here. He is talented but I dont 100% understand the HUGE amount of followers even so many years after his death.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
What are you guys talking about?

Elvis never died. He just left the building.:whistling:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
He's still on a rock on top of Plinlimmon (a mountain range you have to cross to get over to England). As long as I can remember there is a large rock at the side of the road and the word ELVIS has been painted on there, someone, a few years ago, blasted the face off the rock and removed him, but it wasn't long until he was back again and is still there today. I look for him every time I take that road back into Wales and he was certainly there the day before yesterday when I passed!

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
you have to remember that before Elvis the music for young folks was pretty lame. This was the beginning of rock and roll. Back then rock and roll was really new and was even considered to be evil a lot of folks. Elvis was considered to be the symbol of teen age rebellion against the musical status quo of the day. I was there and remember the change over in teen age attitudes that came about with the advent of rock and Elvis. Have a goodun!!!

RedRocker

I was more of a Beatles kinda guy, Elvis was OK for a dump truck driver, but pretty bad at interior decorating.

Trakternut

To be sure, Elvis did have talent. His Gospel recordings are some of the most beautiful music of that type that's out there. His performing style was one of the biggest things, gyrating hips, the expressions on his face as he went through his contortions on stage, all that. Somehow, he realized a god-like status amongst the young folks of his time. These folks are now retirement age, but still hold him in awe.
As for me? He's not so much. His day came and went. He's dead. So be it. Somehow, we forget just how he died. Medicinal overdose, lying on his bathroom floor. Not unlike the deaths of so many "junkies" who remain almost nameless.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Had a few songs I liked, no movie that sticks out that I liked. That is about it. Now Priscella. whoa:whistling:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Way Way before my time.....i was born 72 and grew up with a family that played nothing but Elvis and forever mourned his passing but i never got it.

I like my Rock a little on the heavier side.

By the way i listen to 92.3 K-Rock New York.....gotta be one of the best stations in the world.:thumb:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Galv, try 98.9 the Rock in Kansas City some time, 101.5 K-rock in Manhattan, Ks, or X92.9 out of Lawrence. all 3 have been know to play IM on occasion, as well as quite a bit of the heavier stuff.

Galvatron

Galv, try 98.9 the Rock in Kansas City some time, 101.5 K-rock in Manhattan, Ks, or X92.9 out of Lawrence. all 3 have been know to play IM on occasion, as well as quite a bit of the heavier stuff.

Thanks Erik i will have them put on links on my PC.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
and then there's "house of hair" on 98.9 Sunday mornings 8-10 AM here(GMT-5) so early afternoon for you. 2 hours of Dee Snyder playing loads of stuff from the 80's - and almost no ballads!

Galvatron

To be honest Erik i have had enough of my Local Radio stations.....lots of mindless talk and advertising and no good honest music.

Thanks again Erik.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
He was the first to really:

"... sing black music for the white man ..."

-Low Life, Robert J. Richie

That's where his popularity came from.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
To be honest Erik i have had enough of my Local Radio stations.....lots of mindless talk and advertising and no good honest music.

Thanks again Erik.

not a problem - I have the same issue here in the morning - I don't want to listen to the DJ, unless he's giving a weather report.

1948berg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We8P_Ww27hY"]YouTube - Elvis Presley, Hound Dog[/ame]

Keep in mind that it was the conservatives and good christians that banned him.
The King

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was to young to experience Elvis way back then, but I think you got it right Ross. Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper etc all had the kids going crazy. It was a new music to them. The Beatles followed along in the same line ..then came the Stones & The Who etc. And it snowballed from there.
With Elvis, as with many other Super Stars I do believe it was being in the right place at the right time.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Had a few songs I liked, no movie that sticks out that I liked. That is about it. Now Priscella. whoa:whistling:
In The Ghetto
Kentucky Rain.
Those are the only two that come to mind that I really like.

As for movies, Viva Las Vegas, and the one he did about racing with Nancy Sinatra.

My aunt June was NUTS about Elvis. Earliest memory I have of him was the concert he did after coming back from the service that was televised.
Aunt June was beside herself that evening, and we little ones whom she was babysitting wondered what the heck was going on.:shock:

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy Locutus
Yep I remember the pre-Elvis music too. It was pretty slow and lame. It had about as much rythum as molasses on a cold morning. Have a goodun!!!!

Locutus

Banned
Howdy Locutus
Yep I remember the pre-Elvis music too. It was pretty slow and lame. It had about as much rythum as molasses on a cold morning. Have a goodun!!!!

It was real music back them. Singers actually sang, they didn't just put the mike in their mouth and scream as loud as they could.

And bands had real musical instruments, not just gazillion watt electric guitars.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It was real music back them. Singers actually sang, they didn't just put the mike in their mouth and scream as loud as they could.

And bands had real musical instruments, not just gazillion watt electric guitars.
Ahem, and just exactly what is wrong with that?? :yum: ;)

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing, if your earplugs are in tight! :biggrin::biggrin:
ha!
actually, I like just about all kinds of music.. anything from Frank Sinatra to John Coltrane to Led Zeppelin.
You can keep country and western or most of the current country crapola.. no thanks, Charlie..

Locutus

Banned
I like most kinds of music. Everything except rock and calypso. I used to like country and western until the rock-a-billy crowd took it over. :sad:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I like most kinds of music. Everything except rock and calypso. I used to like country and western until the rock-a-billy crowd took it over. :sad:

What's your opinion of Brian Setzer and his big band/rock fusion?