• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do you know the power of RAW honey?

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The power of honey is pretty amazing. For wound healing it is becoming a more accepted practice in hospitals. Honey has antimicrobial properties. When honey mixes with wound exudate, it forms a natural hydrogen peroxide. The honey itself is a great barrier. It is being used for wounds that are MRSA infected (MRSA is Methycillin Resistant Staphlococcus Aureus, a super bug that is resistant to numerous antibiotics and is becoming epidemic in hospitals and is leaching out into the general population). Prior to introduction of antibiotic ointment, honey was a mainstay in wound treatment. CB has a friend in GA who is diabetic and had a wound on his foot that wouldn't heal despite all treatments even through the wound clinic. I talked to him about the use of honey. He tried it. He cleaned the wound with soap and water and applied raw honey morning and evening and within a month the wound had healed.

I don't know about ALL the claims in this article but I can speak to wounds and sore throat however, with sore throat, I recommend gargling with 1 tsp. raw honey and 1tsp natural vinegar (not the pasteurized stuff but the cloudy stuff like Braggs) It will knock out a sore throat!

The healing power of honey:

From burns to weak bones, raw honey can help

NaturalNews) Raw honey – which has not been pasteurized or filtered, and ideally taken directly from the hive – is a treasure chest of nutritional value and medicinal remedies. It contains an abundance of vitamins and minerals and is a natural and powerful medicine, both internally and externally.​

The list of honey's beneficial functions is a long one. Honey increases calcium absorption; can increase hemoglobin count and treat or prevent anemia caused by nutritional factors; can help arthritic joints, when combined with apple cider vinegar; fights colds and respiratory infections of all kinds; can help to boost gastrointestinal ulcer healing; works as a natural and gentle laxative; aids constipation, allergies and obesity; provides an array of vitamins and minerals; and supplies instant energy without the insulin surge caused by white sugar. Many have found raw honey helpful for its positive effects against allergies and hay fever, and one or two teaspoons last thing at night can help with insomnia. As an antiseptic, honey is also a drawing agent for poisons from bites or stings or infected wounds, and has outperformed antibiotics in treatments for stomach ulcerations, gangrene, surgical wound infections, surgical incisions and the protection of skin grafts, corneas, blood vessels and bones during storage and shipment.
"Raw honey is exceptionally effective internally against bacteria and parasites. Plus, raw honey contains natural antibiotics, which help kill microbes directly. Raw honey, when applied topically, speeds the healing of tissues damaged by infection and/or trauma. It contains vitamins, minerals and enzymes, as well as sugars, all of which aid in the healing of wounds."
So writes Dr. Cass Igram, D.O. in The Survivor's Nutritional Pharmacy. In a fascinating modern development, scientists and doctors are beginning to rediscover the effectiveness of honey as a wound treatment. In recent years, honey has been used effectively in clinical settings for the treatment of fist-sized ulcers extending to the bone, as well as for first, second and third degree burns. Complete healing has been reported without the need for skin grafts and with no infection or muscle loss. It can be applied full strength to such conditions, covered with a sterile bandage, and changed daily. When the wounds are clean, honey acts as a healer. This also is the same procedure for infected wounds, ulcerations and impetigo. Garlic honey can also be applied directly to infected wounds, which will help clean up the area of infection.
Dr. Peter Molan, professor of biochemistry at Waikato University, New Zealand, has been at the forefront of honey research for 20 years. He heads the university's Honey Research Unit, which is internationally recognized for its expertise in the antimicrobial properties of honey. Clinical observations and experimental studies have established that honey has effective antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Astonishingly, it painlessly removes pus, scabs and dead tissue from wounds and stimulates new tissue growth. "Randomized trials have shown that honey is more effective in controlling infection in burn wounds than silver sulfadiazine, the antibacterial ointment most widely used on burns in hospitals," explains Dr. Molan.
Dr. Molan believes that if honey were used from the start in cases of septicemia, there would be far less tissue damage resulting. "The remarkable ability of honey to reduce inflammation and mop up free radicals should halt the progress of the skin damage like it does in burns, as well as protecting from infection setting in", says Dr. Molan. "At present, people are turning to honey when nothing else works. But there are very good grounds for using honey as a therapeutic agent of first choice."
Researchers believe that the therapeutic potential of honey is grossly underutilized. With increasing interest in the use of alternative therapies and as the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria spreads, honey may finally receive its due recognition as a wound healer.
Indeed, it works: Raw honey makes a sterile, painless and effective wound dressing. Apply it directly to open cuts, abrasions and burns, and cover it with a piece of gauze. The results will occur quicker than with conventional alternatives, such as salves and creams.
Honey is also exceptionally effective for respiratory ailments. One Bulgarian study of almost 18,000 patients found that it improved chronic bronchitis, asthmatic bronchitis, chronic and allergic rhinitis and sinusitis. It's an effective treatment for colds, flu, respiratory infections and a generally depressed immune system. Whereas sugar shuts down the immune system, a good quality honey will stimulate it into action.
Here are some more ways to utilize the healing power of honey:
BURNS - Apply freely over burns. It cools, removes pain and aids fast healing without scarring. Apart from being a salve and an antibiotic, bacteria simply cannot survive in honey.
BED WETTING - A teaspoon of honey before bed aids water retention and calms fears in children.
INSOMNIA - A dessertspoon of honey in a mug of warm milk aids sleep and works wonders.
HYPERACTIVITY - Replace all use of white sugar with honey. White sugar is highly stimulating with no food qualities. Honey provides the energy without the "spike."
NASAL CONGESTION - Place a dessertspoon of honey in a basin of water and inhale fumes after covering your head with a towel over the basin. Very effective!
FATIGUE - Dissolve a dessertspoon of honey in warm water or quarter honey balance of water in a jug and keep in the fridge. Honey is primarily fructose and glucose, so it's quickly absorbed by the digestive system. Honey is a unique natural stabilizer: Ancient Greek athletes took honey for stamina before competing and as a reviver after competition.
FACIAL DEEP CLEANSER - Mix honey with an equal quantity of oatmeal, and apply as a face pack. Leave on for half an hour, then wash it off. Great as a deep cleanser for acne and other unwanted blemishes.
POOR DIGESTION - Mix honey with an equal quantity of apple cider vinegar and dilute to taste with water. This is also wonderful for the joints – and promotes weight loss.
HAIR CONDITIONER - Mix honey with an equal quantity of olive oil, cover head with a warm tower for half an hour then shampoo off. Feeds hair and scalp. Your hair will never look or feel better!
SORE THROATS - Let a teaspoon of honey melt in the back of the mouth and trickle down the throat. Eases inflamed raw tissues.
FOR STRESS - Honey in water is a stabilizer, calming highs and raising lows. Use approximately 25 percent honey to water.
ANEMIA - Honey is the best blood enricher by raising corpuscle content. The darker the honey, the more minerals it contains.
FOOD PRESERVATIVE – If you replace the sugar in cake and cookie recipes with honey, they'll stay fresher longer due to honey's natural antibacterial properties. Reduce liquids in the mixture by about one-fifth to allow for the moisture present in the in honey.
BABY'S BOTTLE - Four teaspoons of honey to a baby's bottle of water is an excellent pacifier and multivitamin additive. If the baby's motions are too liquid, then reduce the honey by half a teaspoon; if too solid increase by half a teaspoon. (Caution: Don't give raw honey to babies under 1 year old; it's just too rich.) For teething, honey rubbed on a baby's gums is also a mild sedative and anesthetic.
OSTEOPOROSIS – Research has shown that a teaspoon of honey per day aids calcium utilization and prevents osteoporosis – probably not a bad idea for anyone over 50.
LONGEVITY - The most long-lived people in the world are all regular users of honey. An interesting fact, yet to be explained, is that beekeepers suffer less from cancer and arthritis than any other occupational group worldwide.
MIGRAINE - Use a dessertspoon of honey dissolved in half a glass of warm water. Sip at the start of a migraine attack, and, if necessary, repeat after another 20 minutes.
CONJUNCTIVITIS - Dissolve honey in an equal quantity of warm water. When cooled, apply as a lotion or eye bath.
COUGH MIXTURE – Combine 6 ounces (170 grams) liquid honey, 2 ounces (55 grams) glycerin and the juice of two lemons. Mix well. Bottle and cork firmly, and use as required.
Raw honey may become granulated, as some does after a week and another maybe only after several years. If the granulations bother you, simply place the honey into a pan of hot water (not boiling) and let it stand until becoming liquid again. Kelly Joyce Neff has an interdisciplinary degree in Celtic Studies which includes work in cultural anthropology, history, linguistics, language, and literature. She is a traditional midwife and herbalist, a reiki master, and an active craftsperson. She lives in San Francisco.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Smells like a chain email in here.

Shouldn't a nurse in a NICU be at least concerned with the potential of botulism exposure in infants from raw unpasteurized honey?

I'm not against eating raw anything but you should be aware of potential health issues when eating mass produced unpasteurized foods. I think unpasteurized/raw foods from your own farm where you know the cleanliness of the food source is probably fine. But when you get it from a large farm operation you need to be extra careful.

There's a local dairy run by some religious people that produces unpasteurized milk and keeps getting kids sick from some bacteria that is common in the unpasteurized milk.

American Woman

Site Supporter
This is something I want to pin to the fridge! Most of the this stuff I have heard of but chalked it up as a wive's tale.
The MRSA was a big surprise...Redneck's Momma has been in the hospital with MRSA, and survived. The doctor (once he figured out what it was) said there was only one antibiotic that works on it, she had a reaction to it. She's never in her life had a reaction to anything. So they backed off for 24 hours and reintroduced it and that time it worked:huh:
What do you think about the Aloe plants? We have them growing in the yard just for burns, scrapes and cuts. The kids know where they are and go straight to them :wink:

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter

Shouldn't a nurse in a NICU be at least concerned with the potential of botulism exposure in infants from raw unpasteurized honey?

I'm not against eating raw anything but you should be aware of potential health issues when eating mass produced unpasteurized foods. I think unpasteurized/raw foods from your own farm where you know the cleanliness of the food source is probably fine. But when you get it from a large farm operation you need to be extra careful.

There's a local dairy run by some religious people that produces unpasteurized milk and keeps getting kids sick from some bacteria that is common in the unpasteurized milk.

PBinWA, Where in my post do I endorse raw honey ingestion in infants?
I see a reference in the article:

BABY'S BOTTLE - Four teaspoons of honey to a baby's bottle of water is an excellent pacifier and multivitamin additive. If the baby's motions are too liquid, then reduce the honey by half a teaspoon; if too solid increase by half a teaspoon. (Caution: Don't give raw honey to babies under 1 year old; it's just too rich.) For teething, honey rubbed on a baby's gums is also a mild sedative and anesthetic.

I did state " I don't know about ALL the claims in this article but I can speak to wounds and sore throat, however."
The author does include a caution. I can't speak to why she fails to list Botulism as a potential danger.

According to the CDC, infants with botulism 'appear lethargic, feed poorly, are constipated, and have a weak cry and poor muscle tone,' which may 'progress to cause paralysis of the arms, legs, trunk and respiratory muscles.'
Although parents often know not to give their infants under twelve months of age plain honey, they often overlook other foods that contain honey in them, such as Honey Graham Crackers, Honey Nut Cheerios, Honey Wheat Bread, etc. Although the honey in these foods may be processed, it may not be pasteurized, and so may still contain botulism spores in them and should be avoided. If you feel strongly about giving these foods to your infant, call the manufacturer to make sure that they are safe. http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/04_infant_honey.htm

As a nurse in the PICU, I am well aware of recommendations re: honey with children. I thank you for spotlighting this particular aspect of the article as it is extremely important. I will add that I don't think you needed to be antagonistic in remarking on my post.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA, Where in my post do I endorse raw honey ingestion in infants?
I see a reference in the article:

I did state " I don't know about ALL the claims in this article but I can speak to wounds and sore throat, however."
The author does include a caution. I can't speak to why she fails to list Botulism as a potential danger.

According to the CDC, infants with botulism 'appear lethargic, feed poorly, are constipated, and have a weak cry and poor muscle tone,' which may 'progress to cause paralysis of the arms, legs, trunk and respiratory muscles.'
Although parents often know not to give their infants under twelve months of age plain honey, they often overlook other foods that contain honey in them, such as Honey Graham Crackers, Honey Nut Cheerios, Honey Wheat Bread, etc. Although the honey in these foods may be processed, it may not be pasteurized, and so may still contain botulism spores in them and should be avoided. If you feel strongly about giving these foods to your infant, call the manufacturer to make sure that they are safe. http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/04_infant_honey.htm

As a nurse in the PICU, I am well aware of recommendations re: honey with children. I thank you for spotlighting this particular aspect of the article as it is extremely important. I will add that I don't think you needed to be antagonistic in remarking on my post.

I'm sorry but if you look at the author's credentials:

Kelly Joyce Neff has an interdisciplinary degree in Celtic Studies which includes work in cultural anthropology, history, linguistics, language, and literature. She is a traditional midwife and herbalist, a reiki master, and an active craftsperson. She lives in San Francisco.

That just reeks of quackery to me. I don't believe much in Naturopathy, Herbalism, Chiropractics or any of that hippy "feel good" B.S. The rest of the article makes honey seem like it is going to cure cancer and stop world hunger.

I believe in peer reviewed, double blind studied, repeatable science.

I'm sorry you didn't like my reply but I honestly think the real medical profession does themselves a great deal of discredit when they give any sort of acknowledgement to these "alternative" medical practices.

Honey is good stuff. Stuff from nature is good stuff. Just be careful eating stuff from nature and make sure you understand the health implication and risks when eating raw food.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't believe much in Naturopathy, Herbalism, Chiropractics or any of that hippy "feel good" B.S.

PB,
I agree, there is a lot of quackery in the areas listed above. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Even with mainstream medicine, there is quackery and there is truth. I think you have to be extremely careful with herbal remedies. All chiropractors are not quacks. All MDs are not competent to practice medicine. There are some downright dangerous doctors out there and they are so friggin' protected. I've seen them in action and reported them to the hospitals Physician Credentialors. It is unbelievable.

American Woman

Site Supporter
I'm sorry but if you look at the author's credentials:

[/i]

That just reeks of quackery to me. I don't believe much in Naturopathy, Herbalism, Chiropractics or any of that hippy "feel good" B.S. The rest of the article makes honey seem like it is going to cure cancer and stop world hunger.

I believe in peer reviewed, double blind studied, repeatable science.

I'm sorry you didn't like my reply but I honestly think the real medical profession does themselves a great deal of discredit when they give any sort of acknowledgment to these "alternative" medical practices.

Honey is good stuff. Stuff from nature is good stuff. Just be careful eating stuff from nature and make sure you understand the health implication and risks when eating raw food.
Maybe it's your age group PB, because your age group are the most resistant to change. If I don't have to take another pill I will try anything. It's not just a "hippi" point of view. Natural medicine has been around WAY before your clinical MD.s...even their medicine to start somewhere.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've used honey for sore throat, both for myself and the kids when they were younger.
It's amazing how well it works.

As for a burn, no way would I put it on a fresh burn!
Perhaps during the healing process it would be good for tissue repair.

Diluted baby shampoo cures conjuctivitis.
This I know to be tried and true. :)

American Woman

Site Supporter
I don't believe much in Naturopathy, Herbalism, Chiropractics or any of that hippy "feel good" B.S.

PB,
I agree, there is a lot of quackery in the areas listed above. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Even with mainstream medicine, there is quackery and there is truth. I think you have to be extremely careful with herbal remedies. All chiropractors are not quacks. All MDs are not competent to practice medicine. There are some downright dangerous doctors out there and they are so friggin' protected. I've seen them in action and reported them to the hospitals Physician Credentialors. It is unbelievable.
I know MD's right now I would not let take care of my pets....I trust my chiropractor that I have seen for more than 15 years. I will go to him before I go to my MD, because most of the time he fixes it with out meds, or surgery.

urednecku

Site Supporter

That just reeks of quackery to me. I don't believe much in Naturopathy, Herbalism, Chiropractics or any of that hippy "feel good" B.S. ........

I don't know much about Naturopathy & Herbalism, I DO know that a good chiropractor will do wonders. No, they can not treat everything. And no, not all who hang that shingle are even good. I have been to about 5 or 6, and keep coming back to the one GOOD chiropractor I know. I had a Neurologist wanting me to go to see a surgeon. "NO, you are not going to cut on my neck."
A few trips to a GOOD chiropractor, and six weeks later, I was back to 95%. I have never heard of anyone having any kind of back surgery that did not have problems later. That was 15 years ago, I still have no scars on my neck. I still see this DOCTOR occasionally, and feel much better when I leave than when I go in.

American Woman

Site Supporter
I've used honey for sore throat, both for myself and the kids when they were younger.
It's amazing how well it works.

As for a burn, no way would I put it on a fresh burn!
Perhaps during the healing process it would be good for tissue repair.

Diluted baby shampoo cures conjuctivitis.
This I know to be tried and true. :)
CG sent a a couple of links to me about doctors using the honey as wound care, and theyl said the honey was used after antibiotic treatments failed. So I'm assuming they weren't new wounds. But it does make me wonder now if that can be done. Kind of like a salve under a band aid?
CG, did you notice the wound care steam's name in the first link was "Woundpecker Wound Care Team" (I know it's childish...but funny )

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Natural medicine has been around WAY before your clinical MD.s...even their medicine to start somewhere.
Quinine-the alkaloid for quinine occurs naturally in the bark of Cinchona tree-treatment for Malaria and nocturnal leg cramps
Digoxin (Lanoxin) a potent cardiac glycoside, a product of Foxglove
vinblatine and vincristine-chemotherapeutic agents used to treat leukemia both obtained from the Madagascan periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus syn. Vinca roseus)
Aspirin-Willow
Atropine and Scopalamine-Corkwood
Colchicine (used to treat gout)-Colchicum autumnale, commonly known as autumn crocus, meadow saffron or naked lady
Opium,Codeine,Morphine,Noscapine, Papaverine-The opium poppy, Papaver somniferum
Theophylline-Theobroma cacao-chocolate

Thomas Jefferson wrote that "The greatest service which can be rendered any country is to add a useful plant to it's culture."
But poo-poo if you want. You benefit, anyway.

American Woman

Site Supporter
Quinine-the alkaloid for quinine occurs naturally in the bark of Cinchona tree-treatment for Malaria and nocturnal leg cramps
vinblatine and vincristine-chemotherapeutic agents used to treat leukemia both obtained from the Madagascan periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus syn. Vinca roseus)
Aspirin-Willow
Colchicine (used to treat gout)-Colchicum autumnale, commonly known as autumn crocus, meadow saffron or naked lady
Opium,Codeine,Morphine,Noscapine, Papaverine-The opium poppy, Papaver somniferum
Thomas Jefferson wrote that "The greatest service which can be rendered any country is to add a useful plant to it's culture."
There was LOT of big words in there, but "what she said" ^^^^
PBinWA said:
Naturopathy, Herbalism, Chiropractics or any of that hippy "feel good" B.S.
The native American Indians were using this natural healing BS long before the pastie white man came to say it was BS.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
CG, did you notice the wound care steam's name in the first link was "Woundpecker Wound Care Team" (I know it's childish...but funny )
Yep. Saw that. Smiled to myself.

I have used raw honey on new wounds and believe it contributed to rapid wound healing. I had a crack on my heal that went pretty deep and was a bit painful. I put honey on it and covered it with one of those dressings like bandaid Advance---actually it was called duoderm. Anyway, it was remarkable how it looked the next day. So good I didn't redress it.

American Woman

Site Supporter
We have some friends that have bees and make honey. Redneck likes honey on his peanut butter sandwich. He eats that every morning...
(He's an easy man to keep:wink:) I think we will be getting some extra:biggrin:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Aspirin-Willow

I suspect all of the above items have been scientifically proven in their efficacy.

I never refuted the wonderful things that nature provided us. However, if you ate a bunch of willow bark it is probably going to make you feel worse than if you took some properly prepared, extracted, and measured aspirin.

As far as Chiropractics goes, it is not based on any valid science. If you went to a licensed and trained (i.e. "real") Massage Therapist you would probably get the same benefits as the Chiropractor with out the bad science and incorrect interpretation of what they are doing.

But to each there own. I am not a doctor and don't really care what you do with your money. The placebo effect has been proven to be a strong healer in the minds of many.

PB

urednecku

Site Supporter
I suspect all of the above items have been scientifically proven in their efficacy.

I never refuted the wonderful things that nature provided us. However, if you ate a bunch of willow bark it is probably going to make you feel worse than if you took some properly prepared, extracted, and measured aspirin.

As far as Chiropractics goes, it is not based on any valid science. If you went to a licensed and trained (i.e. "real") Massage Therapist you would probably get the same benefits as the Chiropractor with out the bad science and incorrect interpretation of what they are doing.

But to each there own. I am not a doctor and don't really care what you do with your money. The placebo effect has been proven to be a strong healer in the minds of many.

PB

I think you are wrong there. A Chiropractor is also consierded a Doctor, and has years of study before they are licenseced.
From your statements, I wonder if you have ever been to a Chriproctor, probably one that does what I call the 'generic' treatment- no matter what the problem, they do the same. Like nearly all the ones I went to before I found a GOOD one.
Mine checks to see what needs to be adjusted, where, and how --before he makes any adjustments.

The whole body is run by "electrical currents" running thru the spinal cord. If the spine is not inline, it's like a kink in a water hose...you do not get the full amount of current. You also feel the pinch. It has been proven on my-self, as it has been to others. Before I went to my first Chiropractor, I went to a MD > physical therapy > Nuroligist, and all that bunch did was having me take 800 mg ibuprofen 4 times a day, and that did very little to ease the pain. 2 weeks after starting Chryo. treetment, I had a lot less pain. Another 4 weeks, I was about 98%, and still have never had a cut on my neck.
You can take all the pills you want, and they will not 'fix' the problem. When they wear off, ya will hurt again. Yes, you can get a Doctor to cut you open and play around and hopefully get things back right, risking infection, being parilized, etc. Or you can find an experienced Doctor to get things lined up right again, with OUT cutting on ya. I prefer NOT to be cut on, but thats just me.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think you are wrong there. A Chiropractor is also consierded a Doctor, and has years of study before they are licenseced.
From your statements, I wonder if you have ever been to a Chriproctor, probably one that does what I call the 'generic' treatment- no matter what the problem, they do the same. Like nearly all the ones I went to before I found a GOOD one.
Mine checks to see what needs to be adjusted, where, and how --before he makes any adjustments.

The whole body is run by "electrical currents" running thru the spinal cord. If the spine is not inline, it's like a kink in a water hose...you do not get the full amount of current. You also feel the pinch. It has been proven on my-self, as it has been to others. Before I went to my first Chiropractor, I went to a MD > physical therapy > Nuroligist, and all that bunch did was having me take 800 mg ibuprofen 4 times a day, and that did very little to ease the pain. 2 weeks after starting Chryo. treetment, I had a lot less pain. Another 4 weeks, I was about 98%, and still have never had a cut on my neck.
You can take all the pills you want, and they will not 'fix' the problem. When they wear off, ya will hurt again. Yes, you can get a Doctor to cut you open and play around and hopefully get things back right, risking infection, being parilized, etc. Or you can find an experienced Doctor to get things lined up right again, with OUT cutting on ya. I prefer NOT to be cut on, but thats just me.

Chiropractors call themselves "Doctors" but this is something they made up. It is not an official designation and is certainly not recognized in higher education.

I have a Bachelors Degree in Human Kinetics and probably have as much if not more anatomy and physiology training than many Chiropractors.

The theory of Chiropractics is just wrong. It doesn't make sense. They have no scientific, double blind, independent third party reviewed studies to verify their claims.

You can not "manipulate" your spine externally. You can get a nice massage and perhaps even release pockets of nitrogen gas (that's the cracking sound) and probably walk out of the office feeling better. That's why massage therapy is really what you should be looking at. Massage therapy will help your muscles to relax and reduce pain and stress. Massage HAS been scientifically proven to reduce musculo-skeletal pain. It is a valid treatment.

My Mom had a Chiropractor tell her that one of her vertebrae was completely turned around. I couldn't for the life of me get her to believe me that if that was really the case then she would be a parapalegic.

As I stated before, you are welcome to believe what you want to believe. However, I will never give these "alternative" medical approaches an ounce of credit unless they come up with some serious scientifically validated evidence.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Bachelors Degree in Human Kinetics.
IMPRESSIVE!!:smile:
The theory of Chiropractics is just wrong. It doesn't make sense. They have no scientific, double blind, independent third party reviewed studies to verify their claims.
This is true.

You can not "manipulate" your spine externally. You can get a nice massage and perhaps even release pockets of nitrogen gas (that's the cracking sound) and probably walk out of the office feeling better. That's why massage therapy is really what you should be looking at. Massage therapy will help your muscles to relax and reduce pain and stress. Massage HAS been scientifically proven to reduce musculo-skeletal pain. It is a valid treatment.
Yep.

My Mom had a Chiropractor tell her that one of her vertebrae was completely turned around. I couldn't for the life of me get her to believe me that if that was really the case then she would be a parapalegic.
A chiropractor told my oldest son that he'd been nearly born with Spina Bifida, hence his long strided walk (inherited) and slight bow legs(also inherited).
He swore up and down that Jeff lucked out as there were lesions at the base of his spine that caused lower back pain.
This was when sonny boy was around age 19 and going through his physicals for police academy.
There wasn't ANYTHING there. The chiro's x-ray claims were rubbish :tongue:
Man, I had fun with that so- called professional.

As I stated before, you are welcome to believe what you want to believe. However, I will never give these "alternative" medical approaches an ounce of credit unless they come up with some serious scientifically validated evidence.
I've gone to a chiropractor a few times.
I did feel better after the "adjustments"... however, they alllllllways think of a reason to keep you coming back, again and again.:thumb:;)
Bahh!!

American Woman

Site Supporter
A scientifically documented licensed PA, MD, Proctologists, oncologist, every Nurse that walked in his room wasn't in a hurry to help with his pain. They all told him he was constipated. That's why his stomach was swollen as if he were 9 months pregnant. They tested for 2 weeks to tell him that.....3 months later Daddy is dead from Cancer.
I was PISSED to put it mildly....but thank God I don't clump all these professionals together, and call them all quacks.

Last edited:

urednecku

Site Supporter
Chiropractors call themselves "Doctors" but this is something they made up. It is not an official designation and is certainly not recognized in higher education.

I have a Bachelors Degree in Human Kinetics and probably have as much if not more anatomy and physiology training than many Chiropractors.

Believe what you will.
I know what did NOT work with me...a DOCTOR, PHYSICAL THERAPY, NEUROLOGIST. (by the way, all supposedly "licensed and trained (i.e. "real") "
I DO know what DID work for me, and still does, ....a CHIROPRACTOR. And yes, I have been to a "licensed and trained (i.e. "real") Massage Therapist"--I'll admit the massage felt good, but did nothing for the joints that were in pain.

It sounds like one that was a quack made up your mind for you. As I said before, I have gone to some that I would not let treat my dog. I have also been to some "specialist doctors" that I will never go back to, but do not hold the whole medical field responsible for the actions of the idiots.

A scientifically documented licensed PA, MD, Proctologists, oncologist, every Nurse that walked in his room wasn't in a hurry to help with his pain. They all told him he was constipated. That's why his stomach was swollen as if he were 9 months pregnant. They tested for 2 weeks to tell him that.....3 months later Daddy is dead from Cancer.
I was PISSED to put it mildly....but thank God I don't clump all these professionals together, and call them all quacks.

And my own Daddy was killed by "licensed and trained (i.e. "real")" DOCTORS/ CARDIOLOGISTS in one of the largest/best hospitals in Florida...........After a quad by-pass, my brother and my-self tried to tell them his stomach was swollen and getting larger. We were assured it was 'normal--just gasses in the abdominal cavity.' They were partly right---but the 'gasses' were caused by gangrene in his small intestine. This was proven about 12 hours before he stopped breathing, from the swelling pressing on his diaphragm.
So much for your licensed and trained (i.e. "real") people.

I will stop now, & let you go ahead with all your wisdom , Mr. Human Kinetics, before I tell you what I really think, and get somebody up-set with what I say.

Cityboy

Banned
Hey Redneck, there are just some folks who think they know everything about anything based upon their limited experience. These type people have one bad experience and all people related to that experience become quacks, ie: a bad experience with a chiropractor, etc. I know people who swear by chiropractic, and others who swear it is snake oil. So who is right? Doesn't really matter does it? If a chiropractor helped, then that is all that matters. If it did not, well, that does not mean all chiropractor's are quacks and that the entire field is a farce. Often people form their opinions based upon limited experience and a college class or two and apply it globally, thinking they actually know what they are talking about on an expert scope, when in reality, they know nothing other than what they experienced once, or heard a college professor say, or read in a textbook. You'll never convince these people because they have closed their minds to all possibilities outside their chain of "logic".

It's the same thing with natural healing, nutrition, and this honey issue that started this thread. Some people acquired a little knowledge from one source and discount all other possibilities, thinking they are somehow smarter than everyone else. These type people then seek to discredit someone elses opinion with insults because they took a college class or two. And, yes, I'm talking about PB's smart ass opinion in this instance. So all I have to say to people who believe like PB does is, eat what you want, enjoy your hydrogegated oils, don't take any nutritional supplements, and be glad you live in the United States so you can take your fat ass to the heart surgeon for an immediate by-pass with no wait. It's your life, eat what you want, live like you want, but don't present yourself as a nutritional or medical expert when clearly you are not.

American Woman

Site Supporter
However, if you ate a bunch of willow bark it is probably going to make you feel worse than if you took some properly prepared, extracted, and measured aspirin.
PB
I did'nt see where the article told the reader to take a "bunch of honey":shock:
It was a teaspoon here and a teaspoon there for ailments.

Wow has this thread been grossly taken off topic or what? I guess it went under the mod radar because sex and flirting wasn't going on :yum:
The subject was about the benefits of honey. Not medical quacks.:glare:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Believe what you will.
I know what did NOT work with me...a DOCTOR, PHYSICAL THERAPY, NEUROLOGIST. (by the way, all supposedly "licensed and trained (i.e. "real") "
I DO know what DID work for me, and still does, ....a CHIROPRACTOR. And yes, I have been to a "licensed and trained (i.e. "real") Massage Therapist"--I'll admit the massage felt good, but did nothing for the joints that were in pain.

It sounds like one that was a quack made up your mind for you. As I said before, I have gone to some that I would not let treat my dog. I have also been to some "specialist doctors" that I will never go back to, but do not hold the whole medical field responsible for the actions of the idiots.

And my own Daddy was killed by "licensed and trained (i.e. "real")" DOCTORS/ CARDIOLOGISTS in one of the largest/best hospitals in Florida...........After a quad by-pass, my brother and my-self tried to tell them his stomach was swollen and getting larger. We were assured it was 'normal--just gasses in the abdominal cavity.' They were partly right---but the 'gasses' were caused by gangrene in his small intestine. This was proven about 12 hours before he stopped breathing, from the swelling pressing on his diaphragm.
So much for your licensed and trained (i.e. "real") people.

I will stop now, & let you go ahead with all your wisdom , Mr. Human Kinetics, before I tell you what I really think, and get somebody up-set with what I say.

The doctors didn't kill anybody. Your father obviously was sick to begin with. The doctors do the best they can to save people but not everyone can be saved. Trying to blame a doctor for complications due to a quadruple bypass is just wrong. Doctors are people too and can not catch every little thing.

Some times people die. You can't blame Doctors for that. If there was any sort of gross negligence or malpractice then you should have taken it to court. A good lawyer would have made you some money from the sad situation and could have also worked to get the Doctor's credentials revoked.

I think you have a lot of misdirected anger towards the medical profession.

urednecku

Site Supporter
American Woman is right....way too far off subject. Sorry CityGirl for the off-topic rants. I've been out of honey for a couple days, & it's starting to effect my moods I guess.:thumb:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
And, yes, I'm talking about PB's smart ass opinion in this instance. So all I have to say to people who believe like PB does is, eat what you want, enjoy your hydrogegated oils, don't take any nutritional supplements, and be glad you live in the United States so you can take your fat ass to the heart surgeon for an immediate by-pass with no wait. It's your life, eat what you want, live like you want, but don't present yourself as a nutritional or medical expert when clearly you are not.

I think you are the one that is coming up with the arrogant opinions (perhaps I pissed off your wife or something).

If you read back over my replies, I have stated my points and never asserted that you shouldn't do what you want to do and have never presented myself as a nutritional expert. The only reason I mentioned my university degree was to emphasize that I had as much or more anatomy and physiology training as a Chiropractor. In fact, I just checked the curriculum for a Chiropractic school and it looks like it is only a 3 year program. I had to got to school for 4.5 years to get my Bachelors degree.

I certainly, haven't advocated an unhealthy lifestyle. I don't know any doctors (and I know a lot) that advocate unhealthy lifestyles. In fact, hanging out with doctors is down right depressing because they constantly tell you what you shouldn't be doing.

All I have done is attempted to point out some facts and tried to advocate common sense.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I did'nt see where the article told the reader to take a "bunch of honey":shock:
It was a teaspoon here and a teaspoon there for ailments.

Wow has this thread been grossly taken off topic or what? I guess it went under the mod radar because sex and flirting wasn't going on :yum:
The subject was about the benefits of honey. Not medical quacks.:glare:

That reply was made to CG's reply regarding the natural origins of many mainstream pharmaceuticals. It was not made in reply to the original article.

Cityboy

Banned
I think you are the one that is coming up with the arrogant opinions (perhaps I pissed off your wife or something).

Wrong answer buckwheat. Arrogance is your word in this case, not mine, but perhaps you are feeling guilty of arrogance, eh? Remember this post:

That, my friend, is arrogance shrouded in ignorance. If you had taken a moment to actually read the post in context, perhaps you would not have made such a jack ass, uncalled for comment that had nothing to do with the subject at hand.

And no, you didn't piss CG off, but she did ask why you seemed to appear as such a Richard Cranium in your replys to her and many others you disagree with.

I certainly, haven't advocated an unhealthy lifestyle. I don't know any doctors (and I know a lot) that advocate unhealthy lifestyles. In fact, hanging out with doctors is down right depressing because they constantly tell you what you shouldn't be doing.

While mainstream doctors may not advocate unhealthy living, many poo poo holistic, nutritional and excercise approaches in favor of prescribing blood pressure and cholesterol drugs. The AMA and the pharmacuetical industry lobbies to have certain effective nutritional supplements declared drugs to prevent the purchase without a prescription. Failing that, they attempt to have the FDA regulate the supplement industry. Maybe they are afraid the supplements will cut into their prescription drug and surgery business. Don't believe it? Go here and find resolution 524 in this AMA document: www.ama-assn.org/meetings/public/annual05/refcomeannotateda05.doc

All I have done is attempted to point out some facts and tried to advocate common sense.

No, actually, you stated your opinion, along with a little dig at the OP, and Redneck, based upon your limited experience. Opinions are not facts, nor do they in many cases even resemble common sense.

Last edited: