• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Adventures in Snowcatting

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm told they fall and get packed into the trail. We shall see. Talking with other clubs who have used a brushbar, they say that they have to stop every now and then to clean it out since allot of the branches get jammed into the blades and don't fall off.

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Is that something you fabricated for the drag ? Are the support arms pinned and adjustable ? any chance of some close -ups??

looks great ! Please report as to how this addition works ! Thanks!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like it only cuts on half of the vee's in the frame though, as ever other one lacks the cutters. Correct me if I am wrong....

Regards,Kirk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Is that something you fabricated for the drag ? Are the support arms pinned and adjustable ? any chance of some close -ups??

looks great ! Please report as to how this addition works ! Thanks!

No. We didn't fab it. You can buy them from different dealers. I believe ours came from THE SHOP INDUSTRIAL if I'm not mistaken. The support arms are pinned to brackets welded to the drag. When we ordered it, we had to give the make and measurements of our drag. They send different brackets and arm lengths depending on the brand and size of drag. I'm also looking forward to seeing how this thing works. As I said before, we have one trail in particular that has a 30 mile stretch that's always full of tag alders sticking out.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like it only cuts on half of the vee's in the frame though, as ever other one lacks the cutters. Correct me if I am wrong....

Regards,Kirk

Mbsieg is right! It has blades on each side of the bar. The blades are all removable and reversable. They are very sharp. Gonna have to make sure to wear think leather gloves around that thing. I made sure to keep my kid well clear of it since it would without a doubt remove a finger.

I'm told it will cut branches up to 2" think. We shall see.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
No. We didn't fab it. You can buy them from different dealers. I believe ours came from THE SHOP INDUSTRIAL if I'm not mistaken. The support arms are pinned to brackets welded to the drag. When we ordered it, we had to give the make and measurements of our drag. They send different brackets and arm lengths depending on the brand and size of drag. I'm also looking forward to seeing how this thing works. As I said before, we have one trail in particular that has a 30 mile stretch that's always full of tag alders sticking out.

:ermm:Had to come back and correct myself. Our brushbar came from ebert welding. They have a website with picks and such.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, it took a while but I finally got my hands on the pics from when I had to go on a rescue mission a couple years ago instead of meeting the other operator at the halfway point of our 97km (one way) stretch of trail. I couldn't find the post to quote it so here's a recap:

I was supposed to head out to meet the other operator at the turnaround point one morning when I get that dreaded call at 4am. They had broken through a creek and couldn't go forward or back up due to the drag being hung up on the ice. I headed out and fired up the br160 to go on a rescue mission. Here are the pics of what I found when I got there.

It took me 6 hours to get there and 10 minutes to haul them out. No damage done.

Attachments

• dec094.jpg
    dec094.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 581
  • dec095.jpg
    dec095.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 578

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a little something to get us all in the mood....

These were taken 3 years ago when we were out with both machines breaking trail at the beginning of the season.

Attachments

• dec093.jpg
    dec093.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 578
  • dec097.jpg
    dec097.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 568

Mtn-Track

More reason to keep working on my cat. Thanks for the positive mood swing!:w00t2:

In the pic of the cat in the water, it looks like they were able to keep it running. Is that the case? Lucky if they did...

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
More reason to keep working on my cat. Thanks for the positive mood swing!:w00t2:

In the pic of the cat in the water, it looks like they were able to keep it running. Is that the case? Lucky if they did...

That's one nice thing about the Lamtrac (and tucker) is that with the machine being higher, it often can be left running when it breaks through a smaller creek. If the creek is deep enough to sink the engine in the back though, it's going to take something bigger than another snowcat to get it out.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
did you paint it orange and put side pipes on it and a bar in the back seat

Actually, I think I do have a krusti. It's pink! It holds water. And it doesn't move under its own power either....:unsure:

Must be a krusti I have in the bathroom:doh:

:yum:

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
I spent the New Years weekend at our cabin in the woods on the East side of Lake Pend Oreille. We had gotten about 14" of snow Wednesday night and Thursday the temps dropped to below or near zero for several days. It was clear and cold and beautiful. To cold for the wife to make the trek so I spent it with the dog! Our cabin is 26 miles from the nearest maintained road so take the US Mail boat across to the county dock, walk the mile to the cabin, start the fire, drive the snowtrac to the dock to pick up the supplies and then enjoy 5 days of piece and quiet with the wintering elk, deer, turkeys, cats, and wolves!

Hope everyone's New Years was as good as mine!

Attachments

• 12-2010 028.jpg
    12-2010 028.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 427
  • 12-2010 005.jpg
    12-2010 005.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 415
  • 12-2010 007.jpg
    12-2010 007.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 12-2010 010.jpg
    12-2010 010.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 416
  • 12-2010 019.jpg
    12-2010 019.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 456

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
love them pics i have been up here so long i forgot what it's like tohave all them trees around

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice pictures!!! Nice to see machines out in the wild where they belong instead of being trailer queens looking all purdy in a nice heated barn while the would be operator sits back with his feet up drinking Dr. Rums he poured from his wet bar.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I spent the New Years weekend at our cabin in the woods on the East side of Lake Pend Oreille. We had gotten about 14" of snow Wednesday night and Thursday the temps dropped to below or near zero for several days. It was clear and cold and beautiful. To cold for the wife to make the trek so I spent it with the dog! Our cabin is 26 miles from the nearest maintained road so take the US Mail boat across to the county dock, walk the mile to the cabin, start the fire, drive the snowtrac to the dock to pick up the supplies and then enjoy 5 days of piece and quiet with the wintering elk, deer, turkeys, cats, and wolves!

Hope everyone's New Years was as good as mine!

Kevin, I looked real hard but could find no pictures of you water skiing?

snow dog

Nice pictures!!! Nice to see machines out in the wild where they belong instead of being trailer queens looking all purdy in a nice heated barn while the would be operator sits back with his feet up drinking Dr. Rums he poured from his wet bar.

Got anybody in mind ?:whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that guy ain't even got tracks on the kt-4 the yetti is likely sitting in panama being used as a consession stand for tourist who need to wet their whistle

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
What a weekend!!! I spent the day yesterday splicing a track back together on the BR 160. What a pain in the A$$ that thing is to work on. Absolutely no room anywhere to access anything underneath.:hammer:

After a few hours and a few choice words, I finally got the track put back together.

Attachments

• IMG00238.jpg
    IMG00238.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 4,861

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So the plan today was supposed to be me running ahead with the BR packing and cutting trees and a buddy running the lamtrac behind with the drag. I figured I'd get about an hour head start since the lamtrac with a drag hooked up plowing through 3 feet of fresh powder will walk circles around the BR without a drag on behind. All ready to head out. Machine's all warmed up and running good.:smile:

Attachments

• IMG00240.jpg
    IMG00240.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 459

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So, I head out and start down the trail when I get a phone call. The other guy can't make it so looks like I'm heading out alone. No biggie. There's about three feet of snow on the level. Our snow this year sucks. It's very crystal-like and doesn't pack worth a damn. Absolutely no base to it. I stopped to take a quick picture to show how much I was sinking in.

Attachments

• IMG00246.jpg
    IMG00246.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG00247.jpg
    IMG00247.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 448