• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

215 ford 6 cylinder for 601.

JonasSmith

I recently picked up this 215 to replace the 223 in my 601. Zero hour rebuild, but it was rebuilt 20 years ago and sat in the back of a shop in Tacoma, WA. I’ve put marvel mystery in the cylinders, my question is, is there a way to pressureize the oil system before starting it up to make sure everything’s lubed before firing? I’d hate to crank it on dry bearings.
IMG_7985.jpeg

J5 Bombardier

Easiest way without having to pull the distributor and do the drill on the oil pump trick would be to rig up a pressure bottle and put the line on where the oil sending unit is.
Personally after 20 years I would drop the pan and have a peak. Rule #1 of engine rebuilds trust no one , and that includes your mother . LOL Keep the pics coming.
J5 Bombardier

JonasSmith

Easiest way without having to pull the distributor and do the drill on the oil pump trick would be to rig up a pressure bottle and put the line on where the oil sending unit is.
Personally after 20 years I would drop the pan and have a peak. Rule #1 of engine rebuilds trust no one , and that includes your mother . LOL Keep the pics coming.
J5 Bombardier
Yea, I hear you on that. I’m thinking I might pull the head and check it all out. Waste a head gasket but worth it for piece of mind. I put a scope in the cylinders and it looks like it’s never been ran.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would pump oil through the gauge like j5 mentioned, ( brilliant btw) roll it over a few times and fire it up. I am a risk taker. and typically not scared of failure.

There is no better way to find the nut, washer, mouse turd ect..... some knucklehead dropped down the carb 14 years ago.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
my 2 pennies.
if it has oil from way back change it. It may well be milky from sitting and sucking moisture.
remove the spark plugs. teaspoon of marvel in each cylinder (you did that) leave plugs out Turn it over by hand a few (at least 10) revolutions to feel if anything is binding. Then spin it using starter to build up oil pressure. check compression in each cylinder.

without compression, the bearings will be, for the most part, unloaded and will suffer very little running dry for a couple of moments.

if you really want the oil first the above suggestion about pressurizing via the oil pressure port is good.

expect the water pump to leak. really old seals that have been sitting get stiff and I think water pumps are the worst for it.