• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why I hate HOA's

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I blame the people who buy into those HOAs.

I love my HOA, it is almost powerless but has just enough power to plow the road in the winter, level MINIMAL dues to maintain the property, no power to seize property, etc. What it does do is protect homeowners who have investing a good deal of money in their home from new neighbors who want to drop a double wide on a vacant lot.

In the last 15 years I think it has only issued 2 or 3 liens for people who didn't pay their dues for several years.

As for the article, I still go back and blame homeowners. When you buy into a neighborhood with an HOA you know what you are getting into. The rules are stated up front, there are various covenants that restrict your uses and powers granted to the HOA. If you don't like their rules then don't move there. It really is that simply.

As I live in a very rural area I chose a small neighborhood with an HOA specifically because I wanted the restrictions to protect my property value. I also wanted the private road that our HOA owns. Yes, it costs more to live here, but the advantages are worth it and our restrictions are very minimal. When I looked at other HOAs and compared them I would say ours has almost no powers compared to many that I looked at . . . and rejected.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I heard this story awhile back and wonder about it being legal. Back when we went to war after 911 I was working for Public Storage and received a copy of a federal law stating that no foreclose action of any kind could be taken against an active duty service man regardless of how in the arrears his is.. I no longer have a copy of it but still practice that here at my own storage property. We usually have a conversation with people renting from us finding out pretty quickly if they are active duty service men or woman making a note of in our computer so we don't sell one in error. Now I've had more than 200 tenants over the last few years some have never come home and even then turned the contents over to their next of kin and ate the lose in rent. Other times we have had military personal show up with a moving crew to clean out their spaces again we turn it over to them.

I have only dealt with one HOA and sold the place after just one year for a lose do to their constant hassles with not only us but other neighbors.

loboloco

Clear violation of Federal law. I do believe that HOA is going to wind up getting hosed.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter

I love my HOA, it is almost powerless but has just enough power to plow the road in the winter, level MINIMAL dues to maintain the property, no power to seize property, etc. What it does do is protect homeowners who have investing a good deal of money in their home from new neighbors who want to drop a double wide on a vacant lot.

In the last 15 years I think it has only issued 2 or 3 liens for people who didn't pay their dues for several years.

As for the article, I still go back and blame homeowners. When you buy into a neighborhood with an HOA you know what you are getting into. The rules are stated up front, there are various covenants that restrict your uses and powers granted to the HOA. If you don't like their rules then don't move there. It really is that simply.

As I live in a very rural area I chose a small neighborhood with an HOA specifically because I wanted the restrictions to protect my property value. I also wanted the private road that our HOA owns. Yes, it costs more to live here, but the advantages are worth it and our restrictions are very minimal. When I looked at other HOAs and compared them I would say ours has almost no powers compared to many that I looked at . . . and rejected.

In the posted circumstance, the HOA could have chosen much less dramatic means. Instead, they opted to try and kick a family of four (the patriarch of which was serving our country) out of their home. And for only 2 months' dues. Ludicrous.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Clear violation of Federal law. I do believe that HOA is going to wind up getting hosed.

Which means EVERYONE in the neighborhood will get hosed when they get their dues increases, unless there's some personal liability that is imparted on the board members.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Here I found something on the laws protecting mobilized forces.

http://www.veteransadvantage.com/cms/content/federal-laws-give-mobilized-soldiers-peace-mind

Here is a small part of it covering situations such as this.

The Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act of 1940 protects Army Reserve and National Guard members who are called to active duty. It protections cover them mortgage foreclosures, and adverse court proceedings. The protection begins on the date the reservist enters active-duty service and ends upon release from active duty.
A collector or landlord may not seize property or evict a service member or his family members if the rent does not exceed $1,200 monthly, during a period of military service, unless the landlord can show that the soldier can financially afford to pay the rent.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

So Bob, what if all the other Homeowners decided to renew the terms of the HOA and they chose to ban all shooting and tracked vehicles. Would you love the HOA then?

We have similar HOA to Bob's with minimal rules - basically a Road Maintenance Agreement. I've been President twice and Head of the Road Committee three times - and I've only been here for seven years. I still think the HOA is a big PITA. Everybody had to whine and complain about everything and very few people actually make any effort to contribute. I'm pretty much burned out on the place. I'm only plowing snow when I need it to be plowed. I won't even go to meetings anymore.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
HOA's are one of the biggest reasons I did not move to Florida a few years back. I will stick with my 107 acres where I set the rules and determine my own property conditions.:clap:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
HOA's are one of the biggest reasons I did not move to Florida a few years back. I will stick with my 107 acres where I set the rules and determine my own property conditions.:clap:

Amen, If I move anywhere it's going to be a bigger property with no HOA.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Amen, If I move anywhere it's going to be a bigger property with no HOA.

Or you could move to the city where your neighbors let their Shih Tzus outside to yap at 3:00 a.m.:doh:

At least there's no HOA.:whistling:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So Bob, what if all the other Homeowners decided to renew the terms of the HOA and they chose to ban all shooting and tracked vehicles. Would you love the HOA then?

We have similar HOA to Bob's with minimal rules - basically a Road Maintenance Agreement. I've been President twice and Head of the Road Committee three times - and I've only been here for seven years. I still think the HOA is a big PITA. Everybody had to whine and complain about everything and very few people actually make any effort to contribute. I'm pretty much burned out on the place. I'm only plowing snow when I need it to be plowed. I won't even go to meetings anymore.

Our HOA does not have the power to ban shooting or tracked vehicles. It does not have the power to ban the use of the property, but the land covenants that transfer with the title of the property forbid commercial use of the property, forbid junk cars, forbid commercial truck parking, forbid dwellings below a minimum size, etc. The real power is in the land covenants and those are very clearly spelled out. The covenants very specifically hobble the authority of the HOA and prevent it from laying on rules.

The HOA simply cannot do what many HOAs have been given authority to do.

As for participation, the participation in our HOA is similar to yours. We cannot get quorum at meetings so we simply don't have meetings. The board is the same board that its been for several years because nobody else wants to step up and do the job. The job basically consists of hiring a guy to plow the snow and sending out a newsletter that includes a bill to be paid to cover snowplow, insurance, repairs. Last year there were no dues at all. This year its $300. Average over 10 years is probably $150 to $175.

Gatorboy

Instead, they opted to try and kick a family of four (the patriarch of which was serving our country) out of their home.

What does serving our country have to do with anything? That's the "job" they chose to take -- no one forces anyone to join the military. Also, they go get paid, so what's the issue?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
What does serving our country have to do with anything? That's the "job" they chose to take -- no one forces anyone to join the military. Also, they go get paid, so what's the issue?

They don't get paid that much, in fact they probably had a full time job in the States that they lost to serve. So yeah they should have some time.

mak2

HOA's are a hoot, if you dont belong to it of course. ONe friend of mine lives in a snooty little HOA that has a rule about trees and bushes. Seems they have to be of certain demensions and cannot be in pots. Sounds like a good idea and my buddy is a bit snooty so it worked out well. Till my freind sat out his Bonsai tress worth 1000's of dollars each. HE had a fancy little table and when the sun was right and the humidity and all the other silliness was just right he sat the trees out to get sun. HE did not even leave them out unsupervised, really just a few hours a day and the HOA went nuts and made him stop.

ANother buddy, not so snooty, had an old house that a HOA built behind him. My firend and the row of houses had been there many many years before the HOA moved in and I beleive were zoned agrcultural, since there was cornfields all around it.. They were Nazi's for the first several years. HOA reps actually measured grass blades etc. Well it seems my friends wire fence that had been there since right after WWII was not up to their standards. It was well maintained etc but notup to their standards. They actually sent him something (intent to sue?) telling him if he did not change the fence they were going to sue. Bad idea on their part. He took aobut 15 or so interior doors, painted them orange and 2x4'd them together and wired them to the fence. He painted something about sue me now in big black letters on them. He checked before and there was not regs against it. Anyway after leaving them there for a while I dont think the HOA ever said another thing to him. Sometimes they are silly little people with a little power for the first time in their life.

Trakternut

How about just cutting them some slack because they serve YOUR
country??

They don't get paid that much, in fact they probably had a full time job in the States that they lost to serve. So yeah they should have some time.
Good point Murph. Apparently Gatorbutt doesn't have a clue.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter

Not a damn thing if he were home. But he wasn't. He was in Iraq. Morally, I think it's reprehensible. Legally, I think the HOA's gonna have some problems.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I heard this story a few months ago, and wondered about its authenticity. Foreclosures do not just happen, certain procedures must be followed. The homeowners association did not just wake up one morning and decide to foreclose. Notice must be given and repeated. I would doubt that any $300 K home would not have bidders over a few thousand. If the story is true, I would wonder just why the wife did not just pay the few bucks on a free and clear home. Something just doesn't sound right. Actually, a lot of things just don't sound right.

Gatorboy

Not a damn thing if he were home. But he wasn't. He was in Iraq. Morally, I think it's reprehensible. Legally, I think the HOA's gonna have some problems.

Maybe he should get online banking and have those monthly bills setup to automatically get paid.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
... by choice. Not sure why those in the military should have special treatment.

Shall I get out your violin?

Then I feel sorry for you GB if you dont understand why . Thats the main reason your entitled to your opinion , like the rest of us because they made the choice to fight for our freedom & if that dont at least deserve respect , I,ll just leave it at that so I dont bring myself down to your level . :biggrin:

Gatorboy

If the guy worked on an oil rig, would you guys feel the same way? Doubtful, even though the person is away from home.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I seriously doubt an oil rig worker puts his life on the line like a front line solider ether. I sure know a rough neck isn't expected to kill another human in their daily work then live with it the rest of their life.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter

The HOA is going to lose this one; they are in clear violation of the amended Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act (SSRA). As to the rest:

The article stated this man was National Guard. That means he gave up a civilian job, one that I am willing to wager Big Bucks paid him a LOT more than he is getting as on O-3 on active duty -- even considering the "perks" that go with a Combat Zone billet. He and his family budgeted for his normal job, and when the drastic pay cut happened with his mobilization, things became tough on the home front. This same scenario, with countless variations, has been playing out since 9/11 mobilizations began.

On top of that, the man is DoD. When the shit hit the fan on 9/11 we (ie, the Coast Guard) put a special team to work on 9/12 to assure our Reserves got paid immediately - they all had money for the 9/30 payday. DoD's pay people could not match this for several reasons, and many of their people went without any pay whatsoever for as much as nine months. Unfortunately, it took them over a year to begin to get the problem straightened out, and some of their members did not get all of the pay and allowances due them until after they returned from deployment.

Was the HOA action legal? Under the SSRA the answer is a swift and unequivocal, "Hell, No!!" Was their action morally right? I think you call tell my answer to that. People have gone to war on short notice, and those back home they have been fighting to protect have been treating them shabbily. They deserve better. Something to think about while you're firing up the grill tomorrow, July 4th.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
If the guy worked on an oil rig, would you guys feel the same way? Doubtful, even though the person is away from home.

I feel sorry for you. You are likely very young and certainly inexperienced and untraveled, or you wouldn't hold these foolish opinions. You owe your right to spout-off about things that you don't understand to those willing to die if necessary to guarantee you that right.

They deserve your support and respect. If that is beyond your capabilities, the least you can do is to be quiet in the presence of adults.

Gatorboy

I seriously doubt an oil rig worker puts his life on the line like a front line solider ether. I sure know a rough neck isn't expected to kill another human in their daily work then live with it the rest of their life.

Once again, what does this have to do with not paying your bills? NOTHING.

loboloco

Once again, what does this have to do with not paying your bills? NOTHING.

Ok, in small words:
NG and Reserves often take pay cuts up to 80% fom their civilian lives when called to active duty. Congress passed a law that requires all creditors to show in court that the servicemember is able to pay irregardless of service, else they cannot foreclose or take action.
1) Service to the country often creates financial and other hardships.
2) It is illegal to foreclose without a hearing in a court, usually federal.
3) It shows a remarkable lack of respect for those who are fighting for the very freedoms the idiots enjoy.

Gatorboy

Congress passed a law that requires all creditors to show in court that the service member is able to pay irregardless of service, else they cannot foreclose or take action.
For all you know, the house may have been in his wife's name, not his. She was not serving.

3) It shows a remarkable lack of respect for those who are fighting for the very freedoms the idiots enjoy.

Then they better start fighting Congress -- they are the only ones trying to take away our freedom.