• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Zipline

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Big ass thunder storms, that came in quick and weren't expected...
He was on the top of the biggest rides when the power went out. I'm thankful that he knew the issue and knew it best to sit tight. The firemen were scrambling to saving the panicking children and my boy just sat there (admiring the view or thinking he's gotten his money's worth on the ride or...).

Bottom line, he didn't care about the power outage.
Yeah, I knew there were big storms coming that way, some really bad ones hit down around Doc's area too, with tornado warnings even.

Glad to hear it all turned out ok Brian.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
This looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for posting the pictures and video.

How do they slow down? How do the brakes work?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Right now, you stop by dragging your feet on the ground.

I just ordered some bungee cord to build a better brake system. It's the 1/2" like you would use for bungee jumping. I'll make a sliding block that will sit on the zip line cable. I'll attach the bungee cord to that, then out to stakes in the ground that are perpendicular to the cable. When the trolley hits the block, it'll start sliding it down the cable. As the bungee cord stretches, it'll gradually slow, then stop the rider.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just watch the bungee does not rip the trolley out from under them when it reverses direction. Maybe a nice pile of sawdust for them to land in would work just as well. Looks like they are having a ball on it!:clap:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some more adjustments were made yesterday.
Still waiting on the bungee cord so I haven't changed the brakes.
I didn't like having to pull the RTV out to use as a platform for people to launch off of.
I remembered I had a tree stand laying around somewhere and thought it would work nicely.
I set up the stand with 2 lengths of ladder (one was way too low). To match the cable to the platform of the stand, I needed to raise it about 6'. That's kind of a good thing as people would need to lift their legs at one point to get over a knoll in the yard.

Here's a few picture.
The stand
Looking down the cable
Side shot from standing on the platform to get an idea of height.
Oh, what the heck, not a great quality picture but I think the smile shines through.

Attachments

• CIMG7346.jpg
    CIMG7346.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,835
  • CIMG7348.jpg
    CIMG7348.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 277
  • CIMG7351.jpg
    CIMG7351.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 274
  • CIMG7345.JPG
    CIMG7345.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 183

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, I forgot to mention.
With that increased height, the ride is A LOT faster.
The kids can still stop by dragging their feet but the same doesn't work for the adults. You just can't generate the friction required to stop when going that fast. Unfortunately, the grown-ups can't ride it again until the new braking system is in place.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Forget about braking. Braking is for weenies. How about wrapping one of those big pads that they use around ski lift poles on the bottom tree? :thumb: No, really, it'll work great! Then you can christen the ride with a new name....'Sudden Impact'.

...or Big Bang.

...or Zip-Splat.

...or The Terminator.

good stuff here, you writing these down? :rolleyes:

Gonna string one from home to your bunker? SnoOps would be sooooooo envious! :yum:

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The tree at the bottom end is sitting beside the creek that runs through the back yard. It's about 3' down, 15' wide and full of rocks. If you miss the tree, you would be in a world of hurt. I am going to put some bales of hay around the tree at the bottom.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I think I have it just about completed. I just need to get a couple more straps of varying lengths to accommodate riding options (seat, handle bars...) for different size riders.

Here's a couple pictures of the braking system

The first shows the sliding block that the trolley hits to stop the rider. There's rubber pads on both ends to soften the impact. The rubber stops are from a horse/cow stall pad (1" thick heavy-duty rubber).

At the other end of the 40' bungee cord is a steel stake driven into the ground. Both ends are attached with carabiners.

The third picture is the "catch-all, end-all" brake block. This once is clamped hard on the cable and doesn't move. Should a rider be going so fast as to not be stopped by a certain point (about 15' from the tree at the end of the ride), the sliding block impacts this block and the rider is stopped there. In general, speed and stopping distance is based on rider weight. My son (the smallest rider) only moves the bungee about 15'. When I ride, the bungee stops me about 4-6' from that terminal block. Riders over 200# get close or may hit it.

The last picture shows the run from the starting block. If you look closely, you can see the long bungee cord on the left side of ride. In the picture, it's a black line that goes from the far left side of the picture (just in front of the wood side of the sandbox), just under that pine tree and up to the cable.

Attachments

• CIMG7385.jpg
    CIMG7385.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 169
  • CIMG7388.jpg
    CIMG7388.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 167
  • CIMG7383.jpg
    CIMG7383.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 174
  • CIMG7396.jpg
    CIMG7396.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 170

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Looks to me like the dog got lazy. Just sits there now and somewhat watches.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bill.

Looks to me like the dog got lazy. Just sits there now and somewhat watches.
It's half lazy and half being disciplined. I had to yell at her about nipping at the rope or the kids legs when they were flying by.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, it took awhile, but I finally got one installed.

They're a lot of fun for all ages.

The one I put in is about 240' which was the max I could do without having logistical issues (like buildings, trees, creek... in the way).

The hardest part is getting the right tension on the cable. When you have riders ranging from 50 to 200 pounds, it needs some tweaking so the smaller riders can reach the ground at the end of the ride but the adults aren't scraping their butts on the ground for the last 100'. What I found helped with this is to have the adults use the handlebars that are right at the trolley and the smaller riders grab a strap that hangs down about 3' from the trolley.

It's hard to judge the speed but from a dead stop at the top until you're stopped at the bottom is about 13 seconds. If my math is right, that's an average of 12 MPH so I'd guess you get into the 20's before you need to hit the binders.

I didn't count but would guess that you can get around 40 runs per hour.
I love Zip lining. My wife and I do it frequently all over the country.

We have ideas for several on our 80acres of Ozark woods. With elevation changes of 300 feet there are plenty of places. Since it was logged 15 years ago there are several clear shots through the trees that remained.

Since we are talking as much as 350 feet, I want professional riggers to do it.

Side note;
I was looking for a Zipline source when I happened across this Forum. That was over ten years ago. Perhaps it is time to get started.

Reactions: Doc

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc - I took the zipline down years ago but still have all the components, and... it's all for sale. The cable I have probably isn't long enough for you (at 200-250') but the rest of the components are available and it's not the cheap stuff. I've had 200# people ride it with zero issues.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc - I took the zipline down years ago but still have all the components, and... it's all for sale. The cable I have probably isn't long enough for you (at 200-250') but the rest of the components are available and it's not the cheap stuff. I've had 200# people ride it with zero issues.
I'm interested.
I plan on several lines short and long.

PM me with contact info and prices.