• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB a Snow Trac

Downeaster

SUPER Site Supporter
Am a new member to this forum but a long time VW collector. I am the point where my VW Thing is great for the summer but would like a VW powered winter snow vehicle. Please let me know or how to direct a newbie to this forum on what might be my best options to find one. Thank you! Ken

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Watch the facebook groups such as snow grooming equipment for sale, and here in this forum. Have your budgeted amount of money ready to spend at a moments notice. Be realistic in transportation costs. When a good unit appears, they don't last long. Read through the posts on rebuilds to get an idea on what you might be willing to go through since that will effect costs.

And if you want VW powered you might also want to look for Kristy . KT-3 etc. While Tucker also made a VW powered Kitten, I'm fairly certain you will never see one for sale.

Bennyboy1337

Sno-trac was going to be my first choice of cat, I looked around for one for 5 years before my Tucker landed in my lap :D Some things of note I learned over the years for searching for one.

• There are far more sno-tracs in Europe, getting one imported is honestly a not half bad idea, they will easily fit in a short shipping container. Once you factor in the import costs and transportation, it may cost the same or even less than trying to buy one state side.
  • Alaska seems to have a fair amount of them, but getting a cat from Alaska down to the lower 48 honestly can cost as much as getting one shipped from Europe, depending on where you live.
  • There is a guy on youtube that motor swapped a Trac with a subura turbo diesel, the thing kicks ass! I know you're a VW fan, but just thought I'd share that.
  • There is a company in Idaho that makes new "Sno-Tracs", not sure how they got the trademark for the name, but they're nothing like the original machines. They utilize a Kabota Diesel + hydro drive line, so they're much slower than the older VW powered ones, they also weigh 900lbs more!!! They also cost $90k, don't even bother looking at them, the classic VW machines are exponentially better investment IMHO.
There are quite a few threads on people servicing tracs in the forum history, def look them up and read everyone one. Lots of good info!

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
There are 2 Snow tracs in Maine that i know of one from Alaska one from europe
heard you guys are pretty light on snow this year too but my buddy bin nh said today he gettig hit hard
it can be expensive to get it out of Alaska it can be cheap depends how you do it and how smart you are. there a couple around here check fb market place i will be swinging threw Agusta next summer if you need a hand i help

Downeaster

SUPER Site Supporter
There are 2 Snow tracs in Maine that i know of one from Alaska one from europe
heard you guys are pretty light on snow this year too but my buddy bin nh said today he gettig hit hard
it can be expensive to get it out of Alaska it can be cheap depends how you do it and how smart you are. there a couple around here check fb market place i will be swinging threw Agusta next summer if you need a hand i help
Getting snow now. Any info on if the ones are for sale here in New England? I am looking at one in Scotland at the moment but will search market place a little bit better today. Please stop by no matter what if coming thru Augusta. I have a long time hobby business called Classic Imported Cars on RT3 in Augusta Maine.

Downeaster

SUPER Site Supporter
yeah, as I stated these reproductions are nothing like the original. For 90k you could buy a brand new PB Scout that would be 100x as capable. As much as I try to like them the cost/drawbacks are just too much, but to each his own!
I am not interested at that money as I have many choices at the price point. Really want a VW powered Snow Trac for the vintage part to go along with my 1974 VW all original Thing. Summer and winter VW powered vehicles

Bennyboy1337

Getting snow now. Any info on if the ones are for sale here in New England? I am looking at one in Scotland at the moment but will search market place a little bit better today. Please stop by no matter what if coming thru Augusta. I have a long time hobby business called Classic Imported Cars on RT3 in Augusta Maine.

Yeah if you're NewEngland based I honestly think a Europe import will be your best option. There are tons of STs up in Scotland, especially the Glenshee area! If yours falls through let me know and I will shoot you some details of a farm I was trying to work a deal out with, they currently have two STs sitting on their property (at least last I checked).

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is a nice snow master around or was around. Last was listed in VT.

Havent see or heard about many on the North East.

DizzyG

Am a new member to this forum but a long time VW collector. I am the point where my VW Thing is great for the summer but would like a VW powered winter snow vehicle. Please let me know or how to direct a newbie to this forum on what might be my best options to find one. Thank you! Ken
I have one in Canaan NY 518-781-3354

Last edited by a moderator:

Downeaster

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks to this forum I now am enjoying my 1968 Snow Trac here in Augusta Maine this weekend. This vehicle was restored by Ian Edwards in England and it is a very nice machine.

Attachments

• 20240120_115009.jpeg
    20240120_115009.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • 20240120_115029.jpeg
    20240120_115029.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • 20240120_115042.jpeg
    20240120_115042.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240120_115021.jpeg
    20240120_115021.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 20240120_114114.jpeg
    20240120_114114.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64

CamdenCabin

Congratulations!! That’s a very beautifully restored machine- Ian does amazing work!

I’m still looking for an ST4 and if I find one overseas I might ask for any advice in terms of importing it! (Did you list it as a tractor? I’ve heard of people doing this so they can drive it on the street without full plates..)

Anyway congrats and have a blast!!

C

Downeaster

SUPER Site Supporter
Message me and I can walk you thru the process. It also helped that Ian did a great job on his end to assist with the importing.

LakeTucker

I think your Snow Trac would be the first at the NH Show. Lot's of Tuckers, Thiokols, and other special machines, But I don't think I've seen a Snow Trac, even though a local ski area used to have them back in the day. Hope to see you there!