• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

worn out beat up snow trac resto

western auto

ok....... not as easy as i hoped, i feel like the valve stem hole is in the wrong place , it seems to share a tad bit of real estate with the bead and the tube naturally wants to point inside like a motorcycle , is this the correct location or should i weld it up and drill at 90degrees ( would be very close to the dish at 90deg

Attachments

• IMG_2676.jpg
    IMG_2676.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2677.jpg
    IMG_2677.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2678.jpg
    IMG_2678.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 98

Puckle

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, I've just bought some new tubes myself and find the same thing - perhaps they were special innertubes with side mounted valves - can't seem to find anything like that though.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I will look to see if I still have tube info. The tubes had the valve offset to one side. I got mine at a motorcycle shop.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry, I can't find a reciept for the tubes. I brought them at a Motorcycle shop that catered to big bikes (Harley Davidson etc) The valves are offset from center to match the mounting holes in the wheels.

western auto

i wrestled with these for a while yesterday, i lubed them up good, installed the first bead, added a very small amount of air to tube just enough so it wasnt completely under vaccum,i spread the tire out slipped tube in, lined up the stem with hole, then mounted other side, after it was mounted i beat it on the ground a few times to seat the bead , after that i was able to stick my hook pick down the valve stem hole and easily fish the stem through the hole , after doing it this way the stem didnt seem to have any odd stress pulling on it , i removed the valve core and inflated/deflated a few times w a blow gun to settle the tube , i think it will be fine, if i had not already powdercoated the wheel i would drill a hole on the inside

Attachments

• IMG_2695.jpg
    IMG_2695.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 96

western auto

started building new luggage rails, used 1" .095 tubing for a little added strength and thats what i had a die availible for, built it a little different than original using one straight long piece and cutting the uprights instead/ spent extra time notching all the tubes tacked it all together then realized after standing back i had a dip in the fender/ after breaking out the contractor string and cutting it apart 2 more times i finally got it right ...... my notches did get a bit more sloppy the 3rd time around but look nice all welded up, hopefully the other side goes a bit better

Attachments

• IMG_2434.jpg
    IMG_2434.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2435.jpg
    IMG_2435.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    673.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2472.jpg
    IMG_2472.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2475.jpg
    IMG_2475.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 132

Moosemeat

GOLD Site Supporter
Yours looks just like mine, just a different color. Must have been owned by the same Operator, beat to shit in all the same places. I've been looking at all the pictures and it looks like everyone eventually uses a Handyman Jack under the center cross member. Jack sinks into the mud, and when its let down it rips the aluminum railing off the fender. Maybe think about a guard in that area to deflect the eventual damage. UHMW?

Attachments

• 6CF1493F-6FA5-4554-BB92-751470E9E530.jpeg
    6CF1493F-6FA5-4554-BB92-751470E9E530.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 122

Puckle

SUPER Site Supporter
Very nice those new rails - I didn't realize myself the track guards aren't straight but rise up at the front - I thought I had got something wrong when I re-built them.

western auto

Yours looks just like mine, just a different color. Must have been owned by the same Operator, beat to shit in all the same places. I've been looking at all the pictures and it looks like everyone eventually uses a Handyman Jack under the center cross member. Jack sinks into the mud, and when its let down it rips the aluminum railing off the fender. Maybe think about a guard in that area to deflect the eventual damage. UHMW?
your turn signals are awesome..... wish i could find a set, i did find lenses for those on ebay germany theres a pic in my steering wheel wanted thread in the for sale wanted section

Moosemeat

GOLD Site Supporter
first pic showing bent engine crossmember before i straightened it and pounded a 2x2x1/4 sleeve through it , new tires from mn outdoors arrived, picked up parts to rebuild the brakes, mock up of 1-3/4 exhaust routed under transaxle, picked up a race trim intake with a zenith 32ndix and a 356 knecht sport air cleaner, had to build a carb plate with a throttle cross shaft and move tube in shroud up about 1.5" , few pics of my heater boxes mocked up on an empty case
Beating the 2X2 to reinforce the frame was a gutsy move. I’ll do the same with the cross member above the springs. I was afraid it would get stuck half way. Lots of beating?

western auto

Beating the 2X2 to reinforce the frame was a gutsy move. I’ll do the same with the cross member above the springs. I was afraid it would get stuck half way. Lots of beating?
i welded a wire wheel to a long piece of 3/8 rod and used a drill to make sure the frame rails were clean inside/ chased them out w air hose, coated sleeve and frame w cold galvanized spray, they went in pretty easily with a block and a sledgehammer/ having the rails straight is the key , the 2x2 is not a super tight fit

georgeofdesert

GOLD Site Supporter
Moosemeat, if I may?

While you have the chance also eyeball the 2x2 supporting the front boggies. Mine had a crack running lenghtwise along the lower corner. The brackets seem bendy, also.

Moosemeat

GOLD Site Supporter
George, Thanks for the tip, thats my next step. I think after installing 2X2 I'll put the body back on. I'm afraid with all the modifications to the frame that I might have a hard time getting everything to line back up. I should have caught on to all the pictures of other re-builds and left it complete and done a piece at a time. The learning curve is steep but fun.

western auto

got a little busy with work (no help) got side tracked restoring a s300 skid steer so its been a while since ive had time to work on this thing, second new handrail done,left rear skin and new structure done and real close to square , right side will be fun its 1/4 out

Attachments

• IMG_8691.jpg
    IMG_8691.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8694.jpg
    IMG_8694.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8695.jpg
    IMG_8695.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8696.jpg
    IMG_8696.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 85

western auto

got pretty fustrated with squaring up the right side ...... i ended up removing the bracing re squaring , welded and re drilled all of the holes, now that everything is straight and solid i am considering removing the short angle iron pieces from the hard top and building a one piece door frame that bolts into the upper and lower body halves completely , may be a bit tight for door fitment but at this point if the door doesnt fit i will cut and narrow it

Attachments

• IMG_8731.jpg
    IMG_8731.jpg
    761.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8736.jpg
    IMG_8736.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8747.jpg
    IMG_8747.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8748.jpg
    IMG_8748.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8749.jpg
    IMG_8749.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8750.jpg
    IMG_8750.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 86

Puckle

SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, I ended up re building it 3 times before I got it all square. The full frame on mine works well for strengthening the door area but a nuisance if you want to run it as an open top anytime - probably not an issue in below zero conditions though

western auto

old window panels were badly corroded , broken and full of extra holes......spent all day making 2 new rear window panels and installing 2 door frame uprights, will dissasemble and finish the last bend on top tomorrow / just wanted to besure roof line would be square, hopefully soon i can cut open the roof and get it lined up and door hinges mounted

Attachments

• IMG_9002.jpg
    IMG_9002.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9007.jpg
    IMG_9007.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9008.jpg
    IMG_9008.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9009.jpg
    IMG_9009.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9010.jpg
    IMG_9010.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9011.jpg
    IMG_9011.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 86

western auto

a buddy of mine working in norway was able to camp near Oslo and meet with Niels to pick up my 20 new trelleborg tires.... grabbed a few spares too, i have been scratching my head about an exhaust system thats not too intrusive, junky or cobbled together (i tried a few) and still allow me to remove my inboard brakes without removing my exhaust, i decided to custom order a vintage speed stainless beetle exhaust un finished , it finally arrived but did not fit quite as good as i was hoping, i had to extend the fold a bit on the skidplate braces and i had to whack the exhaust can a bit but it fits good now...... will box in the notches during final assembly, going to use an 1-3/4 stainless 45 deg pipe with a v band flange to attatch to my flex coupler, that should make engine removal very simple..... i hope

Attachments

• IMG_9522 (1).JPG
    IMG_9522 (1).JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9521.jpg
    IMG_9521.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9519.jpg
    IMG_9519.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9518.jpg
    IMG_9518.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9520.jpg
    IMG_9520.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_9517.jpg
    IMG_9517.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_9516.jpg
    IMG_9516.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_9513.JPG
    IMG_9513.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 105

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
no idea how i was able to sleep through this much rebuild, but do you have a serial number on this rig?

the inboard brakes and small wheels have me intrigued.

western auto

its an alex maclarty machine built in 1976 i believe, was yellow originally and has steel front quarter panels

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 61