• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why do they put garbage in food that may hurt people??

jillcrate

Boy I tell ya.....

For months now my Throat has been burning off and on and I started having other problems also... I believe tonight I found out what been causing it!!

Early last year I changed to a different organic chocolate syrup and I thought it had sometihng to do with that but I didnt check.... Tonight I checked after I had quite a bad event the other day. This crap has LACTIC ACID in it and if you drink it alot,can cause problems!!!! (Same with Xantan gum - That can cause flu like symptoms which it has!! (I gotta be careful eating anything with that also)

www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/exercise-and-lactic-acidosis

My question is: WHY DO THEY PUT THIS CRAP IN FOOD?? -- Seems like they wanna hurt people!!!

I have suffered for months with a burning throat and some other things and I had no idea it was this crap!! (I should have looked up LACTIC ACID months ago (I thought it might be the topioca syrup in it doing it to me))

Anyone have a clue why they put harmful crap in food? (Especially organic)

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you sure you do not have acid reflux while you sleep? Long term this can lead to throat cancer.

Food makers have profits in mind first, then shelf life. As long as they do not violate FDA rules, they do what they want.
Fractionated foods are the norm. This is what gave rise to "Whole foods" literally and figuratively.
I think the best one can do it to simply cook at home, with whole ingredients, and fresh if possible.
If your Grandmother would not know what a food item in the store is, don't buy it.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Boy I tell ya.....

For months now my Throat has been burning off and on and I started having other problems also...

Anyone have a clue why they put harmful crap in food? (Especially organic)
Just a guess but they might be using cheap ingredients that cause problems and the government lets them get away with it.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Like in 99% of all cases just follow the money. About 40 yrs ago our son was diagnosed with hyperactivity, now called ADHD, and our dr told us at that time there was a theory it was caused by all the additives, dyes, etc they put in foods. He said he could put him on adderal or something like it and it was a mind altering drug so we said no. We raised our own beef, pork and chickens, grew a huge garden and Linda made 6 loaves of homemade bread every week. He was about 8 when all this was started and by the time he was 15 he had grown out of it and graduated HS with B's and C's. Today he's a supervising mechanic for a large metal recycling co. Whether what we did helped no one knows but at least we avoided the drugs.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a guess but they might be using cheap ingredients that cause problems and the government lets them get away with it.
Not "the" government. "Our" government.

Many food additives allowed here in the USA are not allowed in Europe.

Most so-called "safe" food and food additives sold to the general public are,,,; generally recognized as safe. But not for everyone.

MSG is in just about every processed food. Used as a "flavor enhancer," it is a poison. Used in small amounts it is "generally recognized as safe.

Aspartame is so dangerous when we used it we wore breathing apparatus. Yet it too is generally recognized as safe. One company for which I worked, used it not for diet/low calorie count but to replace sugar 20 to1 by weight and save on shipping costs.

BTW, I left that company when they ignored my objections. Whilst no customer was ever injured, one employee was and they eventually stopped the practice. No one intended harm as it was an approved additive.

All that said, to accuse companies of putting profits first is a bit of a deceit. One cannot deny it, because every business license claims the company purpose is to make a profit. If you are a profit based company, try going five years without making one. IRS is at your door. So it is an non-defendable accusation. Therefore and unfair claim.

But yes, profit is the motivation to use additives that improve product salability without reducing margins. However, as a food producer, it never is worth the risk of doing harm. That will nullify any profit gains overnight. Said another way, a dangerous and bad business option.

jillcrate

Yes aspertame is the worst!!

Why put LACTIC ACID in chocolate syrup?? Whats the possible reason??

I have alot of questions w/no answers.......

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Lactic acid could be there to get the Ph of the food high enough to help preserve it.
Find another brand.
Acid reflux issues? do you know?

jillcrate

I thought it was that months ago...... My throat thankfully has felt fine since I stopped drinking that..

Yes I could find another brand but I really want it to be ORGANIC .. I guess I could look :)

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought it was that months ago...... My throat thankfully has felt fine since I stopped drinking that..

Yes I could find another brand but I really want it to be ORGANIC .. I guess I could look :)
Lactic acid IS organic.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

When sugar is dry and crystallin, it is stable. When liquid is introduced, it is not. Lactic Acid helps prevent the natural breakdown of Cane and Beet sugars in moist products, which will effect sweetness and taste. It is why they put it in soft drinks as well. Again, although production can be synthesized, it is a natural product. Unlike High-Fructose corn sweetener, which isn't.

jillcrate

Yea I see..... If that syrup didnt have this,my throat wouldnt burn.... (I drink alot)

Ah well..... Thanx for the lookup Franc :)

echo

I remember my first girlfriend.
We would go to the drug store and order one phosphate with two straws. I was poor in those days and could not afford two phosphates. We didn't suffer any illness like some claim today.