• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Where do you buy your vehicles?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I always buy my trucks new from the dealer to avoid issues of trucks that have been beaten over the years.
For all my other vehicles, I always try to buy used from senior citizens.
They've generally been pampered, dealer maintained and low miles.
I know 4 of the 5 vehicles we have were owned by people over 70 when we got them.

Last edited:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I plan to buy my next truck new. I found my last truck at a dealership - it had just been traded in and I went over it completely - it was in good shape. I have never had much luck with used car lots. Every time I go and look at a vehicle at a used car lot I usually find cars that are pimped over and made to look good but it doesn't take much to see just how badly they have been abused.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I find a lot of cars on E-bay. Yes Fleabay. Say what you want but it is always fun to fly somewhere and then drive all the way back and finding out why the car was on Fleabay. I have had One bad experience in over 15 such purchases. My current Jeep Cherokee. But as I have found out, I would likely have been dealing with the same issues had I bought it new.
What a piece of crap.

I bought three Mercedes Sedans there. All good deals for the money.

I used to buy from Enterprise Leasing. Back when I worked for the company I could place an order and the Resource Recovery guys would let me know when my choice showed up in their fleet. Today I would always buy from the lease back car inventory. But not rental. People have no respect for a rented car.

I am not adverse to new dealership purchase. But that has to be a matter of emotion and lust for what they have. I did that with the Crossfire Convertible. The SRT, I knew the owner who needed cash for his son's tuition.
Nothing on the market today boils my soul so no interest at the moment. Besides, I pay cash or not at all. A new car will almost always need some leveraged financing.

I would rather pay repairs to my good mechanic friends than payments to a bank.

The wife is salivating over another Lincoln. I keep telling her the 1986 Town car she loved is not what they are building now.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've bought new twice. Most of time I try to buy nearly new. I despise new car depreciation as soon as you drive it off the lot.
I bought my truck (2005 Silverado) off of Ebay in 2009. From a Texas Dealership called "Texas Direct'. They took pics at every which angle and showed the truck as if I was walking around it and getting in it. I felt good with the purchase and was not surprised when it finally was delivered to Ohio.

Years ago I bought a lot of my cars at bank auctions. Always a gamble, but most of the time it worked out good for me, but yep I did get a couple lemons.

Over the years I've bought quite a few from individuals.

The worst deals I've made have been the two times I traded vehicles. I settled because I was having a hard time selling a vehicle so I'd take the trade. Never again. Live an learn.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I try to buy from owners. Current cars - the SL500 and the X5 came from a dealer. Our 1997 C280 was bought new, so from a dealer. The others all from the owners.
In the past, I have also bought cars on ebay, in the early years of ebay.. Two sight unseen - a 1986 S420 and a 1991 SL300. Both great cars. A couple others on ebay that were fairly local so I went and picked them up. Been fairly lucky with buying cars.