• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Where are all the bears?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Been a very lean year for bear sightings. I blame it on the drought we experienced this summer. Figure they are hanging in the bottoms to be closer to water. Last one I saw here at the house was back in May. Then last night the dogs were raising hell and would not stop. I grabbed the spotlight and left them out and they lined up on the porch and just snarled and growled. I was looking at the garden to see id a coon or bear was after the corn. Turns out the wife had dumped some chicken bones in the burning barrel without burning anything afterward. It may have kept them away from the dogs but the bear had a field day with it. Found the barrel rolled over and ashes scattered all over this morning. Guess they are out starting to eat up for winter fat buildup.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
They're all hanging out waiting for those government programs . . .

bear-sitting-picnic-table.jpg

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the bears mostly have moved to Colorado. I just spent 3 weeks touring the state, about half camping. Everywhere I went the park rangers were driving around warning the campers about the bear danger. I only observed one, but signs were everywhere.

The story I got from the rangers was that Colorado had a dry year and the bears were hurting for food to prepare for hibernation.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They all moved down towards us Bill.

Haven't seen them within 1/4 mile of the house in the last couple months but they're around. A friend about 8 miles away has 4 of them. They've been tearing apart his bee hives and such. Pisses us off that the gov'n won't relocate them back. They just pay for his hives and go have coffee or whatever.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen quite a few of them this year out on the highway but thankfully none in my yard. Had one come up behind me at 6am while I was standing there half asleep waiting for my ride to go to work. That wasn't cool. Bear had me cornered. Instead of running, I raised my hands and ran towards it yelling. It took off down the drive, stopped and turned around. I chased it again all the way back to the bush.

Had another one come into our camp area last may. That day proved to me that bear bangers don't work. I fired off the 12 guage right beside it's head. It just stood there and didn't move an inch.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have fired the 30/40 Krag right close to them and they would not leave till I showered them with debris by shooting REAL close to them. He smelled the sweet feed for the horse and mules and was not leaving till he got it. Their nose gets them in most trouble around here. They have knocked over my grill going after grilled chicken smell on the grates. They love to turn over the burn barrel for anything you put in there to keep the dogs away from. I have seen what they do to a car to raid leftover fast food. Cost the guy about $1200 to fix up the damage from the bear ripping the door open.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
there over here on this side of the hill!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20110815_072847a.jpg
    IMG_20110815_072847a.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20110815_073146a.jpg
    IMG_20110815_073146a.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 113

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill , I've had 4 in the yard in the last month and a half . I can give them directions to Your place if You'd like . :)

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
they have a strong population here saw a so with 4 cubbs while moose hunting there were tracks on top of tracks bear everywhere which is is the likely reason there are no moose around wished i had a guide license i would invite all you all up for a free trophy hunt just to thin them out a bit