• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you drinking tonight?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
On the back porch, a bottle of BV Rutherford Reserve 2018, a thin Cuban, and my wife of 40 years. Life is grand.

Attachments

• 20220513_170812.jpg
    20220513_170812.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 128

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Pepto Bismal

See " Don't order the Shepard's pie

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A snifter of a limited release Larceny Barrel Proof bourbon.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Water tonight.

So much for my distilled grain theory on my nearly allergic reaction to spirits.
Last evening 3 Ginn and tonics ruined my sleep and my morning. Same with any Whiskey, bourbon or Scotch.
I just don't seem to tolerate it anymore.

To bad to as I just acquired a full gallon of the original Capone recipe Templeton Rye, the stuff you can not buy in stores :nono2: ;)
120 or so proof, no water added. I used to always keep some around. I think I will gift this gallon to some one who can enjoy it.

The way it tears me up, I rarely try any more than one drink. At that point I had better quit.
Something has changed as I have aged.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Scotch
James Buchanan's reserv
18 year old Blend

Very soft, no bite. Like Pinch but not as smokey

My son gifted me one for Father's day.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Makers Mark infused in "Lou's Libations"

I was given the "Wisconsin Draper" infusion to try as a Father's Day gift. It is an interesting take on an Old Fashioned.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 9.42.32 PM.png

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Normally I have bourbon. Neat. I have an extensive collection that would make a well stocked bar jealous.

But over the last year I've been playing with a bourbon cocktail called a Boulevardier. The Boulevardier is simply a variation on the classic Negroni that is adored for its balance of bitter, boozy and sweet. The difference in flavor, however, is anything but simple. While the gin-based Negroni is crisp and bracing, the whiskey-based Boulevardier is rich and warming. It’s the exact drink you want to reach for on a chilly fall or winter evening. Temps dip into the 50's or colder, opt for a nice Boulevardier.

1 part Campari
1 part Sweet Vermouth
1.25 to 1.5 parts Bourbon (or Rye whiskey)
Typically garnished with Orange peel, but I usually use Orange Bitters in mine.

Bourbon makes for a slightly sweeter drink. Rye whiskey works well too, but gives it a bit of a spicier edge.

Campari is a bitter drink with herbal complexity.

Sweet Vermouth seems to be the key to this drink. Cheap Sweet Vermouth destroys the flavor, good brands elevate this cocktail. Antica is probably the best of the best for a Boulvardier, but Dolin is very good. Nolly-Pratt has a few different offerings that make it pretty good to but skip past the low end Martini & Rossi. I'm happy, on a summer day, with a M&R vermouth over ice with lemon, but not in my Boulevardier cocktail.

Honestly any decent bourbon works great in this so grab a basic Makers Mark, Larceny or Bulleit. Basically your favorite brand is going to make your favorite version of this drink. But buy the really good Sweet Vermouth!

If you keep oranges in your home, garnish with an orange. I typically don't have oranges here so I substitute several dashes of Orange Bitters. I have a couple different brands, don't really notice much of a difference between the specialty brands and the mainstream.

Umberto

Normally I have bourbon. Neat. I have an extensive collection that would make a well stocked bar jealous.

But over the last year I've been playing with a bourbon cocktail called a Boulevardier. The Boulevardier is simply a variation on the classic Negroni that is adored for its balance of bitter, boozy and sweet. The difference in flavor, however, is anything but simple. While the gin-based Negroni is crisp and bracing, the whiskey-based Boulevardier is rich and warming. It’s the exact drink you want to reach for on a chilly fall or winter evening. Temps dip into the 50's or colder, opt for a nice Boulevardier.

1 part Campari
1 part Sweet Vermouth
1.25 to 1.5 parts Bourbon (or Rye whiskey)
Typically garnished with Orange peel, but I usually use Orange Bitters in mine.

Bourbon makes for a slightly sweeter drink. Rye whiskey works well too, but gives it a bit of a spicier edge.

Campari is a bitter drink with herbal complexity.

Sweet Vermouth seems to be the key to this drink. Cheap Sweet Vermouth destroys the flavor, good brands elevate this cocktail. Antica is probably the best of the best for a Boulvardier, but Dolin is very good. Nolly-Pratt has a few different offerings that make it pretty good to but skip past the low end Martini & Rossi. I'm happy, on a summer day, with a M&R vermouth over ice with lemon, but not in my Boulevardier cocktail.

Honestly any decent bourbon works great in this so grab a basic Makers Mark, Larceny or Bulleit. Basically your favorite brand is going to make your favorite version of this drink. But buy the really good Sweet Vermouth!

If you keep oranges in your home, garnish with an orange. I typically don't have oranges here so I substitute several dashes of Orange Bitters. I have a couple different brands, don't really notice much of a difference between the specialty brands and the mainstream.
I thought that sounded familiar. I had this bottle buried under the bar. A few years ago we did a tour of High West and bought a few bottles of pre mixed drinks only sold at the distillery. My wife had a few out of this bottle and then forgot about it. I’ll give it a try tonight.

F01D8D82-596E-4F82-86DB-4B47F056CF96.jpeg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I’m a big fan of all things Makers Mark. Some of the various ‘46’ offerings are excellent.

I’m also a big fan of FREE and I was gifted a bottle of Four Roses bourbon so I’ll probably be sipping that tonight.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually just made a Boulevardier with the Four Roses :beer:

Don't have any Campari so I substituted Luxardo Bitter, it is not quite as bitter as Campari, but a reasonable substitute. Antica sweet vermouth. And a muddled slice of orange.

Nort Woods

GOLD Site Supporter
Actually just made a Boulevardier with the Four Roses :beer:

Don't have any Campari so I substituted Luxardo Bitter, it is not quite as bitter as Campari, but a reasonable substitute. Antica sweet vermouth. And a muddled slice of orange.
I just my first one recently! delicious! My wife like a Negroni now and then, gin, Aperol and sweet vermouth.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Beaulieu Vineyards
Coastal Chardonay
California 1999

Some may remember my discovery of a long lost cache of wines in the storage basement room that was once my wine cellar. This was one of them

The cork was dry and broke, so I had to decant it thru a coffee filter.

Worth the effort.

Really soft and nice, high flavor and no bite.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
High West Double Rye Whiskey. Simply because it is what is in my hotel room. I might wander down to the bar, but likely it will be the Double Rye.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a small bottle of the High West in the room. They make a bunch of varieties. Drank it all. Darn good stuff. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to try an easy to drink rye. The diminutive bottle in the room is/was the High West Double Rye but it is very smooth. Easy to sip. Simply a nice drink.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
This is a very good Cab.
Yount Ridge Epic Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2016.
Had it hidden away in my "drink after 2022" collection.
Very yum
20230225_195402.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A few years ago I had two employees that had a bar that closed with inventory. They gave me a bunch of assorted Booze, some of which was pretty good stuff.

Five bottles of EJ Cognac Brandy was amoung them. Kind of the Boone's Farm of Brandy's. $16.00 a bottle. Cheap drunk liquor which I put aside.

Tried one tonite. Passable.
Also in the mix was three bottles of Napoleon Brandy. Sells for about $18. How good could it be? I'll give one of them a try next week-end.

Last edited: