• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Headed to Memphis tonite. Rented truck with a packaging line, we just rebuilt and custom tooled, on it.

Guy makes 3-D glasses which used to be very popular. We once wrapped millions of them every year for his movie theater markets.

Now he does solar eclipse glasses. So I convinced him to bring it in house.

Plans are to install on Wednesday and follow up Thursday during production.

PGBC

Nice. We've been talking about heading to bc one year once the kids are all growed up. We want to tow the fifth wheel to the edge of the rockies then tour around for a week or so.

Today, I'm recovering from a food baby. 🤣 We had a Thanksgiving dinner last night and as usual, there was enough food for 30 people and we only had 12.

This morning, since it's a stat holiday and nothing is open and the kids are home, I'm taking the oldest son to dad's shop to clean out a 24ft car hauler they towed behind their motorhome. The unit is listed for sale now and is a sweet ride for a newmar diesel pusher. It's a 2005 with only 40000 miles. Asking 94000us. We can't cross the border yet to bring it down to the states but it's a sweet deal for any 'merican wanting to come up to get it.

View attachment 140575

What model of newmar is it?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
1:31am and I have the sweats.

Woke up 2 hours ago with the chills.

I'd just like to go back to sleep. My throat started hurting yesterday, and my head has been congested for just that long. I don't believe this is Covid, pretty sure it is just bit of a head cold with fever.

Of course I have plans for tomorrow. And Friday. And then I'm going out of town for a few days. So I'm trying to heal and rest.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
1:31am and I have the sweats.

Woke up 2 hours ago with the chills.

I'd just like to go back to sleep. My throat started hurting yesterday, and my head has been congested for just that long. I don't believe this is Covid, pretty sure it is just bit of a head cold with fever.

Of course I have plans for tomorrow. And Friday. And then I'm going out of town for a few days. So I'm trying to heal and rest.
Take it easy, my Covid symptoms sounded similar to yours for the first 5-7 days, very mild. Then in the second week is where things got dicey. Started off with stiff muscles and a headache that progressed into, low fever with chills and lots of sweating. Thats about the time I lost smell and taste. I think the worse part was having 0 appetite, where I had to force myself to eat for about 5 days. Then 3 more weeks of slowly returning to normal, where you can function as long as you don't over do it, or you melt like the witch in the wizard of oz. I hope its what you are thinking ,and just a cold.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Headed to the work cabin today, I haven't been up there since the first week in August, when I returned is when I got Covid, and been playing catch up with work since then. I really don't have time now but have to turn off the water and drain the walls as its getting cold there at night now. Also I need to change the battery packs on the solar that I need the batteries that are there for a solar project at home. I plan to replace them with some newer style batteries with more capacity. There is 14kw there now. when I swap them it will have right at 23kw. I will return Sunday with a full report and pictures.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Seems there's never enough time to get things done. Lol.

I'm taking the day off from hunting to get things done around here. Not much at home actually but I've been compiling a list of things to get in the city all week. So today I plan on letting the back recoup a bit and getting a few things done. I have a couple of modifications on the side by side to make things more enjoyable. And I have to head to mom's shop to do a few things for her.

Tomorrow I plan on being back at it hunting birds. Then a hot tub party in the evening. Saturday, we have a wedding to attend.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of my daughters and my grandson have covid, along with my wife.
Staying clear of the family is not all that easy to do. But so far nothing to report as for my condition.

Harvesting corn, spending lots of time out doors. A Doc here says some farmers are getting it, but with little in the way of Symptoms.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Take it easy, my Covid symptoms sounded similar to yours for the first 5-7 days, very mild. Then in the second week is where things got dicey. Started off with stiff muscles and a headache that progressed into, low fever with chills and lots of sweating. Thats about the time I lost smell and taste. I think the worse part was having 0 appetite, where I had to force myself to eat for about 5 days. Then 3 more weeks of slowly returning to normal, where you can function as long as you don't over do it, or you melt like the witch in the wizard of oz. I hope its what you are thinking ,and just a cold.
Thanks, pretty sure it is not covid.

I have total head congestions but I still have taste and smell. And I have an appetite.

After the shivering, and then the sweating, I now am actually feeling somewhat better. Head is still congested.

This afternoon I go to the high school to give lessons. I'll be coaching alone today. But I only have 2/3rds of the team expected today, representing 2 of the 3 weapons. That will make the task easier. Directly after that I am supposed to coach a beginner's class at my club but I only assist with that class so I may skip it and go back to bed.

Tomorrow afternoon/evening I'm taking 1/3rd of the high school fencing team to fence with a club that is taught by an Olympic fencer. His kids need some cannon fodder to practice on and I've got the fodder for them! It actually helps his kids to get used to fencing sloppy new comers and it helps my kids learn proper techniques.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Bunch of errands all around the city. Didn't accomplish much there as everything I was looking for I either had to order or just couldn't find. I could've just sat my a$$ in the chair and ordered everything from Amazon and saved myself 3hrs, a quarter tank of gas, and the drive into the city. It's only 15 minutes but I'd rather be home or out hunting.

I went over to dad's shop today to change out a tire on the matching trailer to the motorhome (I posted earlier). They had a blow out on their way back from Arizona when covid started and had the spare on the trailer. Dad had a new tire ready to mount on the blown out rim but never got around to doing it. He also had a blown brake line on his gmc 2500 crew cab that needed to get changed so I brought that down to the garage to get repaired as well. It's also going up for sale soon. It's a 2005 but has barely seen salt and is in great shape for the year but is also at the stage where things are going on it.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Made the trip to the work cabin today, its friggn cold. It was 45 inside the cabin when I got here at noon. I did get the solar batteries swapped out. Tomorrow I am going to cut up a small tin shed that was destroyed in last years fire and haul it to the dump. This trip will be a short one, I will be headed home on Saturday morning. Main reason for the trip was the batteries, shut the spring water off and winterize the cabin. I will have to post pictures when I return, not enough band width up here off my phone. I am pleasantly surprised to see that a lot more trees are greening up. Starting to look a lot better.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Memphis trip was awesome despite having a few glitches with the packaging line.

Great customer, with whom I have worked for over 30 years now.

Beautiful weather until I came home.

Rain rain rain.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Today was interesting. My daughter thought she had the roll tarp secured on the auger wagon two nights ago when in the dark we left the field. That night rain and wind dislodged it and nearly blew it off the far side. Pulled it in the yard out of the wind and fixed the tarp so it would close.
Today my nephew took a full load of 60,000 lbs to the semi to unload it. It did not go well. The drive line slip clutch was turned into a cloud of smoke as he tried to unload it. Turns out there was 4,000 lbs of corn left in it from the night it rained. No choice but open the bottom trap, but before this make sure the hydraulic door over the auger is closes so the tube is able to be emptied. This did not go well.... water came out first then some corn fell out, but mostly it was packed tight. The corn should have stopped running but kept on. Big pile on the ground. Oh I had to go to Carroll to get slip clutch linings. The New Holland dealer who sells J&M carts did not have the linings. But the parts guy took the one I had brought with me and found a Bush Hog mower lining nearly identical in size, just slightly larger diameter. A quick trip to the lathe fixed that...
We eventually discover the sliding door over the bottom of the auger, and 18" diameter tube.... big.... had bent the bottom lip to the point it caught on the auger flighting, bending it as well, back on itself to. It took 3.5 hours in the shop of cutting a 1" bar loose and hoisting out the entire sliding door out of a 900 bushel wagon... 100 Lbs of steel U shaped door to the floor for a rose bud torch to heat and straighten.
Eventually we got it all back in and the guild bar welded back in place. So far it is working well. I got into the computer on the tractor and cut the hydraulic flow to that circuit back to 10% to slow it down to a more reasonable speed.
Going to be stiff and sore in the morning I can already tell. Took my Aleve for inflammation an hour ago.

So far no Covid symptoms yet! :thumbup:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Aleve. I just started using it myself.
Amazing
And I get to augment it will a little nip of the corn. Sorry Kirk, that you'll have to take it from the grape. Not as effective.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Today was interesting. My daughter thought she had the roll tarp secured on the auger wagon two nights ago when in the dark we left the field. That night rain and wind dislodged it and nearly blew it off the far side. Pulled it in the yard out of the wind and fixed the tarp so it would close.

Today my nephew took a full load of 60,000 lbs to the semi to unload it. It did not go well. The drive line slip clutch was turned into a cloud of smoke as he tried to unload it. Turns out there was 4,000 lbs of corn left in it from the night it rained. No choice but open the bottom trap, but before this make sure the hydraulic door over the auger is closes so the tube is able to be emptied. This did not go well.... water came out first then some corn fell out, but mostly it was packed tight. The corn should have stopped running but kept on. Big pile on the ground. Oh I had to go to Carroll to get slip clutch linings. The New Holland dealer who sells J&M carts did not have the linings. But the parts guy took the one I had brought with me and found a Bush Hog mower lining nearly identical in size, just slightly larger diameter. A quick trip to the lathe fixed that...

We eventually discover the sliding door over the bottom of the auger, and 18" diameter tube.... big.... had bent the bottom lip to the point it caught on the auger flighting, bending it as well, back on itself to. It took 3.5 hours in the shop of cutting a 1" bar loose and hoisting out the entire sliding door out of a 900 bushel wagon... 100 Lbs of steel U shaped door to the floor for a rose bud torch to heat and straighten.

Eventually we got it all back in and the guild bar w
ed back in place. So far it is working well. I got into the computer on the tractor and cut the hydraulic flow to that circuit back to 10% to slow it down to a more reasonable speed.
Going to be stiff and sore in the morning I can already tell. Took my Aleve for inflammation an hour ago.

So far no Covid symptoms yet! :thumbup:

So what you are saying is that farmers don't actually sit on the back porch and watch their crops grow. They have to do actual hard labor!

My hat is off to all of you who till the soil so we can eat.:thumb:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Headed to Springfield to work on the grandson's little cabin.

We bought a beautiful little electric fireplace to heat the cabin.
Gonna need it this weekend. I hope to finish the wiring and put up some insulation.

Sunny may have us out at Hippie Ridge to work. Or just leave my truck for next week when I ride in with the transporter delivering my JD 310 Backhoe to Hippie Ridge.

Then the fun begins!!!!:clap:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Leaving the house in about an hour to take the high school students to meet an Olympic Fencer by the name of Merek Stepien. Merek was a Polish fencer in the Barcelona Olympics, World Team fencer and medals, fencing coach at Cambridge University in England, fencing coach at Notre Dame University in the US. Now runs a private club.

Not quite sure how it happened but he and I have become friends; he is an astonishingly great coach, very demanding, but very inspiring. Last weekend he took four of his students (aged 14/15) to a college tournament and all four of them won medals.

He invited me to bring my kids to his club for some intensive fencing and lessons. So I've got students going up there. Should be a fun night. My kids are going to get slaughtered, but hopefully will learn a lot.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Went looking for equipment, a quad, and a new car today. All i can say is UGH
New cars are scarce on dealer lots and prices are crazy high.

Last time I was in my local Honda Powersports dealer they had absolutely NO new quads, no side by sides, no street bikes, 3 scooters, 1 dirt bike. Only a few used bikes.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
New cars are scarce on dealer lots and prices are crazy high.

Last time I was in my local Honda Powersports dealer they had absolutely NO new quads, no side by sides, no street bikes, 3 scooters, 1 dirt bike. Only a few used bikes.
isn't off shoring all the manufacturing great

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've just been watching the world go by today.
My eldest son took a friend to Toledo to the airport and witnessed the most horrific semi/car crash which is actually at this hour being covered on the news.
Then he made his way to Detroit to grab dinner at Eminem's restaurant.
What?? I would never go to Detroit.
Eeek, I was screaming lol
Not surprised though.
My kids are ballsy.. just like me.
20211015_182528.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got home, mostly I was just a good looking older gentleman standing around and not coaching. I'm a saber coach. This was an epee event. But the kids needed a chaperone and the other coaches couldn't make it, plus I am the one coach who is friends with the ex-Olympian so I was there, like a fish out of water. Saber & Epee are polar opposite styles, opposite strategies, opposite blade types. So I was pretty much pointless other than being one of the designated adults who helped set it up.

On the bright side one of my adult club members made it and he helps me coach the college fencing club at Bradley University. He learned a lot tonight and Coach Merek gave him some pointers and advice for coaching so that was great. I also met up with the dad of one of my former students who is now a Div 1 college fencer, on a full scholarship, great to hang out with him and talk. Got reacquainted with the father of a kid I had met a coupe years ago at tournaments, the kid is now a HS Junior and looking at colleges. So I traded phone #s with the dad, talked to him about college recruiting, gave him pointers and helped him with a few other things. So ended up being a productive night and I enjoyed the adult conversations while the kids I chaperoned got in some great fencing.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Being a wedding crasher. 🤣 My wife became friendly with somebody at a program once. They continued chatting afterwards. We got an invite to her wedding. Sitting at a reception where I don't know a single person. Fun times.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Being a wedding crasher. 🤣 My wife became friendly with somebody at a program once. They continued chatting afterwards. We got an invite to her wedding. Sitting at a reception where I don't know a single person. Fun times.
Do they have an open bar?