• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Nowt, nada, zip.
I worked Thursday and yesterday.
May not pick up any shifts until the 21st.
I am making chicken parmesan for dinner, that's as far as I've planned today.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Back on the roof with new shingles.

We plan to buy enough for the entire roof today. 72 bales at 100 lbs each
About two pallets worth. I'll haul them to the plant for storage and then take 3 to6 bales home on cool nights to install. The back roof faces south east so it has the old shingles in the worst condition. It is also where we are adding a new roof over the existing deck. I want to get that done whilst the trees are full of leaves and providing some shade.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got home. Left at 8:30. Home at 4:45. Made several stops along the route. A little sore across the shoulders. Overall a nice ride, mostly 2 lane roads. Started really getting hot as we got closer to home. Thermometer was reading 91(F), it was humid too. I think we felt it more because we were frequently in suburban type traffic with slower speeds and frequent stops. As we got back to the country lanes and the speeds were 40+ mph it was far more comfortable.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been busy the past few days. Back up to last Wednesday. I went to camp with 2 kids and built a shed. It's not finished yet as I ran out of materials. Thursday my wife and the rest of the family joined us at camp. Friday I went fishing with a friend. We nailed them. Saturday was fun. We had adult games all day. I've taken a liking to beer pong. BURP!

That brings us to today. So I had to bring my son to meet up with his mom who lives 14 hrs away on Monday. Well, my brother was racing an hour and a half drive further from where I was supposed to meet up with her for the exchange. So I decided to take the fifth wheel, my son and a couple of the other kids who wanted to come watch the races.

Remember that I played beer pong most of the day yesterday. Well, I was up at 5:45am and by 6:15am was on the road to drive an hour east home to get the fifth wheel and my son to drive 6 hours west. When I went to hook up, I discovered a flat tire on the camper. Great. So I backed up the trailer to the garage to remove the tire. I grabbed my son's car and headed to the city to buy a new tire. There was a spare but I quickly found out that it was the wrong size. The store opened at 9am where I could find a tire on a Sunday. By 9:08am I had a new tire and was on my way back home. By 10am the tire was installed and we were on the road.

We made it in time to check in to the campground and head to the races.
20210808_193635.jpg

my brother is in the red and white car.
20210808_164223.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You're all gonna have to type louder today. I put earwax cleaner in my left ear last night. Not sure why but I cannot hear a damn thing this morning,
Right ear ( which I didn't touch) is diminished and the left ear is dead. It feels like swimmer's ear. So hopefully it will clear up.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I HOPE YOUR HEARING HAS CLEARED TODAY, FRANCIS! ?
Roger that? Lol

I was roused from my slumber by the crash, bang boom of thunderstorms grrr
All clear now.
Might as well fire up the Keurig!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Roger that? Lol

All clear now.
I can hear you Lollie! Thanks for the words.

Actually all is well and my hearing has improved immensely.
Thanks!

As for the Thunder, Tenueque ( our Havapooh puppy) spent the night under the covers with Daddy's protection.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Heading back to camp after 2 nights at home to finish building a shed I started last week. Then I plan on tackling installing some more permanent lighting in the outdoor kitchen.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It's like 100 f outside. i was going to do some shingles but not in that heat.

I woke up last night at 3:00 AM. could not return to sleep so when I arrive at the house this evening, I'm taking a snooze.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well marriage and 1 or 2 kids are in there somewhere, lol. Unless i marry a really rich guy!!
You might note that Cathy and i spent time in our late twenties in the Bahamas. it's one of the pictures I posted. we had a kid then, he stayed at grandmas. Never complained about it.

Do not put off you dreams. Travel and do activities in your youth when you can make the most of them. And if you find that guy, don't make money one of the qualities you need. Just be sure he wants the same excitements in life as you do.

It has been my experience that rich guys are usually boring, self centered and tend to be unfaithful to your best interests.

It is not irresponsible to live a good life, full of fun and activities many people put off. For example, y brother in-law and is wife saved their Money for retirement. He always scolded me for buying boats and taking expensive vacations. I needed to be more responsible with his sister's future.

Today, my wife and I have many fond memories of our life together. And her brother, he is laid up with a bad back and the infirmities of older age.
But, he does have a pile of money in the bank.

Btw, Cathy and I still do crazy stuff. Zip lining, white water canoeing, long trips to far off places. Sailing our 30 foot Yatch and building a ranch in the Ozarks. we like racing our two Chrysler Crossfire roadsters. ( hers is faster but mine wins in the twisties) We are, in terms of money, relatively broke. But we are rich in life and living.

One should plan ahead, but the most important plan to have is the ability to look back on your life and smile.

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Heading back to camp after 2 nights at home to finish building a shed I started last week. Then I plan on tackling installing some more permanent lighting in the outdoor kitchen.
Well, she's not pretty but she's solid. Built out of pallets and fence boards. She's not exactly air tight but good enough to hold the tubes and gas cans. Maybe a shovel and chainsaw.
20210804_193042.jpg

20210811_201310.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Roger that? Lol

All clear now.
Sorry I missed this before lollie. Thanks for the kind words and yes, My hearing is back, in spades.

The wife is no longer chiding me to get hearing aids.

I think it possible that my eardrums were coated in wax that had hardened. Perhaps the chemicals took time to soften and flush it away.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Picked up Dasha in Chicago at Midway Airport.

Later today we will get Kobe and bring him back home.

Going to be a full house for a short time. Dasha moves into her campus dorm on Wednesday. Kobe goes back to his Grandmother Wednesday evening.

2EDE28F5-AFDC-420C-A440-E0E10DD475C5.jpeg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent a good bit of yesterday and to say getting our Brand new Husqvarna lawn tractor to run. Despite a full tank, Cathy is walking up the hill claiming "I ran out of gas!" Tank read more than half so it had to be something else

It would start but not run long and only with full choke. There is only 8 hours on the engine. This thing is still new.

I guess we got some really bad gas. Took the furl filter off and cleared it. The unit ran for about one minute. Took the fuel pump off and cleared it, unit again ran for about one minute New fuel filter and all lines cleared, it ran for about 3 minutes.

I had put Sea Foam in the tank but I got desperate and poured it right into the air intake. White smoke everywhere but it ran and ran good.
For about five minutes.

Cathy comes walking up the hill and I grabbed my tools and went down.

I took the hose off the tank and let it drain about two gallons. Didn't see anything but I suspected something in the bottom of the tank. I pour the last of the Sea Foam into the fuel line directly into the carb.

Ran fine the rest of the day.

Meanwhile I worked the walk behind brush hog. Gotta clear the new space for the Bunkhouse.

Did I say new??? Yep, every time I turn around the wife has a new idea about where the damn house should go. I'm be so glad when it is finally delivered and set on whatever site she choose. Geezzus.

Keep in mind, this "Bunkhouse" is a 14' X 32' open box with no interior finish. I cannot count the number of permutations on how we will be building it out. First is was to be simple with two bedrooms and a main kitchen dining area, all for guests. Next we had to fitin a bathroom because the bath house would be too far away in the middle of the night to go pee. Now it has a living space with a fireplace, one large bedroom and the kitchen /dining is an added bump out of one wall.

And the cedar lodge I planned last year down to the flooring colors and light fixtures???? It's officially off the table for now.

I will never get this place done.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Spent a good bit of yesterday and to say getting our Brand new Husqvarna lawn tractor to run. Despite a full tank, Cathy is walking up the hill claiming "I ran out of gas!" Tank read more than half so it had to be something else

It would start but not run long and only with full choke. There is only 8 hours on the engine. This thing is still new.

I guess we got some really bad gas. Took the furl filter off and cleared it. The unit ran for about one minute. Took the fuel pump off and cleared it, unit again ran for about one minute New fuel filter and all lines cleared, it ran for about 3 minutes.

I had put Sea Foam in the tank but I got desperate and poured it right into the air intake. White smoke everywhere but it ran and ran good.
For about five minutes.

Cathy comes walking up the hill and I grabbed my tools and went down.

I took the hose off the tank and let it drain about two gallons. Didn't see anything but I suspected something in the bottom of the tank. I pour the last of the Sea Foam into the fuel line directly into the carb.

Ran fine the rest of the day.

Meanwhile I worked the walk behind brush hog. Gotta clear the new space for the Bunkhouse.

Did I say new??? Yep, every time I turn around the wife has a new idea about where the damn house should go. I'm be so glad when it is finally delivered and set on whatever site she choose. Geezzus.

Keep in mind, this "Bunkhouse" is a 14' X 32' open box with no interior finish. I cannot count the number of permutations on how we will be building it out. First is was to be simple with two bedrooms and a main kitchen dining area, all for guests. Next we had to fitin a bathroom because the bath house would be too far away in the middle of the night to go pee. Now it has a living space with a fireplace, one large bedroom and the kitchen /dining is an added bump out of one wall.

And the cedar lodge I planned last year down to the flooring colors and light fixtures???? It's officially off the table for now.

I will never get this place done.
Just go wit the open floor plan, done.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a 'fun' day being a responsible adult for me.

Helping Dasha sort and pack her belongings into my truck. Then, after the truck is parked in the garage, taking Dasha to Notre Dame, leaving most of her belongings at home. Wait? What? Yep, taking Dasha to campus but not moving her into her dorm.

She has to be on campus this afternoon ... but can't move into her dorm???

She will be staying with a group of international students in a hotel, without all their belongings, for the next day and a half.

Wednesday I will be taking her belongings to campus and moving them into her dorm room. Seems like an incredibly inconvenient and ill conceived way to move kids into their dorms. Granted, it only affects a couple dozen students who are acting as "international ambassadors" for the campus's incoming foreign student, but still. Dum. Stoopid.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing exciting. Just a day of running back and forth to the city, a dump run, a run halfway to the border 25 miles south to pick up a cabinet for the bathroom, a run over to the village 10 miles away to drive our second oldest son to work, and a run back there later to look at another plow truck. How should I end the day? Why not make another run to pick up our son after work. Will be nice when he's able to drive on his own.

Not sure on the states but up here, we have graduated licensing which means that you have to drive with a licensed driver for a full year followed by being able to drive on your own with restrictions on passengers and not being allowed to drive on certain highways alone for a year.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing exciting. Just a day of running back and forth to the city, a dump run, a run halfway to the border 25 miles south to pick up a cabinet for the bathroom, a run over to the village 10 miles away to drive our second oldest son to work, and a run back there later to look at another plow truck. How should I end the day? Why not make another run to pick up our son after work. Will be nice when he's able to drive on his own.

Not sure on the states but up here, we have graduated licensing which means that you have to drive with a licensed driver for a full year followed by being able to drive on your own with restrictions on passengers and not being allowed to drive on certain highways alone for a year.
Why?

Oh yes, I forget, driving is not a right but a privilege.

Same issues down here.

Most states you have to drive with a permit and a licensed driver. Many require this for 6 months to a year, or more.

One ticket on your learners permit or provisional license, and you have to wait until your 21 to get one.

Me, I was driving the car to town at the age of 10. But that was some time ago.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a 'fun' day being a responsible adult for me.

Helping Dasha sort and pack her belongings into my truck. Then, after the truck is parked in the garage, taking Dasha to Notre Dame, leaving most of her belongings at home. Wait? What? Yep, taking Dasha to campus but not moving her into her dorm.

She has to be on campus this afternoon ... but can't move into her dorm???

She will be staying with a group of international students in a hotel, without all their belongings, for the next day and a half.

Wednesday I will be taking her belongings to campus and moving them into her dorm room. Seems like an incredibly inconvenient and ill conceived way to move kids into their dorms. Granted, it only affects a couple dozen students who are acting as "international ambassadors" for the campus's incoming foreign student, but still. Dum. Stoopid.
I'm trying my best to envision you as a "responsible adult."

Dasha has grown since her last photo.

Beautiful young lady

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm trying my best to envision you as a "responsible adult."

Dasha has grown since her last photo.

Beautiful young lady
I'm just pretending to be a 'responsible adult' so it is only an illusion.

As for Dasha, she has matured from a pretty young girl to a beautiful young lady. We are very proud of her, which seems sort of odd because we didn't raise her, but we do feel that she is part of our family. Wednesday I move her into her dorm room. It is supposed to be both hot and humid so I will likely be both sweaty and crabby. Wish her luck, she will need it if I am crabby.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I finally found the time to spend a full day in the garage. First was a bit of a clean up as the guy who works out there is a bit of a messy mechanic. Lol. I have a bad habit of working on something and once done, getting too focused on trying out what I fixed/built and leaving the tools laying around instead of putting them away. I made a dent in the mess. Then installed a new/used tonneau cover on the truck. I've had a cheaper roll up one I bought 7 years ago that was coming apart and needed replacing. I found a solid fold up factory one for sale for a steal so I picked it up yesterday.

Once that was done, I turned my attention to the Jacobsen mower. It has been sitting there for the past month as we've had little to no rain and the lawn was dying. I blew a few belts on the mower deck earlier this year and had ordered a few more. One to install and 2 spares. There's a shorter main belt that goes from the main center hydraulic pump to a pulley that controls the other two blades. It's a 72" triple blade lastec deck. The belt has two main pulleys and a spring loaded tension pulley that pivots on and keeps the belt tight. The height of the pulley can be adjusted by adding washers as spacers on the pivot shaft. It appears someone else had it apart in the past and didn't reinstall the correct amount of washers allowing some play which cause the belt to break. It's now lined up correctly and reassembled. It's also got a pin hole about halfway up the oil pan where the rear steering arm rubbed against it. That's tomorrow's task.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I finally found the time to spend a full day in the garage. First was a bit of a clean up as the guy who works out there is a bit of a messy mechanic. Lol. . .
I know a guy like that too.

I did some garage clean up yesterday and some more today. Also covered my motorcycle seat and then went for a 3.5 hour ride!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Took the wife to get blood drawn for a test, Went to Costco and stocked up while was getting poked. Timing was perfect, as soon as I pulled in the parking lot she came out. Now we are going to have a seafood salad with prawns, sea scallops, salmon with artichoke hearts and a little smoked cheese along with my favorite vinaigrette dressing. Wife is going at it, we will be eating in about 15 minutes

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Slowly catching up on yard chores. Getting organized to work on floor joists for the deck overhaul.

Beautiful cool day with a nice breeze. My heart says "Go Sailing." But the project needs to be executed.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Night ride tonight, can you see me with all these lights?

I enjoy night rides but I hate the DOT mimimim lights on motorcycles so I added extras.

My wife's brother & sister-in-law arrived in Chicago. We met them in the city and went to the Printers Row book fair, stopped at a bar for an early afternoon beer just to escape the heat/humidity, stopped at Melen's apartment for a visit with her, then arrived home earlier this evening. Quick ride for fun. Bourbon now!

tempImageWIaOe0.jpg

tempImagetVGJBB.jpg