• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's been my experience that you don't "find" love. You have to work at it.

There is no happily ever after, there is only the arduous task of making your partner happy and hope they return the sentiment. . .
Yup, marriage is not easy. It is worth it. But it takes commitment. It takes work.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The lovely Mrs_Bob and I rode our motorcycles to Kankakee, IL to have a wonderful lunch at the Blues Cafe. After lunch we rode to the Gordon House. It is a Frank Lloyd Wright designed house that sits right on the Kankakee river. Headed north out of town and rode up thru Bradley, IL and over to St George's Church. It is an old Catholic parish, church is made of stone and illuminated by beautiful stained glass windows. Dates back to the late 1800s. Then home. Roughly an 80 mile round trip, so not too far away.

Had to be home in time to go to a graduation party for one of my former high school fencers. She has been one of my students since she was in 6th grade. Her sister was one of my team captains. She would have also been team captain but we shut down that high school team. Stayed in contact because I'm close to the family, she has been Kobe's only babysitter too. Great party, great people, great time.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Did two squares of Architectural shingles on the bedroom roof where the a tiny leak has spotted our newly coffered ceiling. Tomorrow I'll do two more and that should solve the leak.

My roof will take 26 squares all total. I decided since there are no deck issues, and the shingles I laid twenty some year ago are fine, I'm not going to do a full tear off. I am adding 300 sq feet of new roof but that is a whole nuther matter.

20 years from now, when it matters, I'll likely be picking daisies. Or perhaps pushing them.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm up early as usual lol
Finished my required weekend at work.
On the covid front, apparently there are 9 new cases in a nursing facility in a city near here.
Please God no.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We've now been camping since a week ago Friday when we came to our seasonal site for the weekend. We got home last Sunday then left Tuesday morning for a provincial park 2.5 hrs away where we camped for 3 nights. On Friday, we packed up and came home.

My son's car is finally on the road but he had battery issues while I was gone last week. It's got side posts only and the threads were stripped. So on Friday as soon as I got home, I unpinned the fifth wheel camper and headed to the city to get new battery posts. Came back and installed them then drove the car to my son's work to swap out with the neighbors car he borrowed while we were gone. Came back and returned the neighbors car then headed to camp for the weekend. It'll be nice to get home today and sleep in my own bed.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Time to get the old JD 310 backhoe ready for the mountain property. Needs a battery and lubrication service. I need to pump grease in all the fittings for the bucket and the front loader.

The hydraulics on the stabilizers bleed off over time. Not sure, for my use, I need to worry about that.

Next weekend, I guess we will be preparing the site for the new 14' X 32' bunkhouse building. Hoping the weather cooperates.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Going to the gym this morning and then do a little housework.

Going to a city council meeting this evening. I hope the city council wants to talk more about housing homeless Veterans because I have some additional ideas. They liked my suggestions during the last meeting.

olivia24

Going to the gym this morning and then do a little housework.

Going to a city council meeting this evening. I hope the city council wants to talk more about housing homeless Veterans because I have some additional ideas. They liked my suggestions during the last meeting.
What are your ideas? I had a super fun day at work, went to Ynot pizza and had minnetrone soup and a slice of pizza for lunch then ran out of stuff to do at 230 so had a gabfest with the other girls.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
What are your ideas? I had a super fun day at work, went to Ynot pizza and had minnetrone soup and a slice of pizza for lunch then ran out of stuff to do at 230 so had a gabfest with the other girls.
Upper floors of buildings in the downtown area are vacant and they want to make them into apartments. I told them where and how to get government grants to house homeless Veterans. I'm going to suggest trying to get a grant to house non-veterans too. Also, help them get jobs in the city here. There are a lot of HELP WANTED signs up. I also want to talk more about getting Veterans any disability rating they deserve....the money they spend would be in town. Non-veterans may be entitled to Social Security disability.

olivia24

Upper floors of buildings in the downtown area are vacant and they want to make them into apartments. I told them where and how to get government grants to house homeless Veterans. I'm going to suggest trying to get a grant to house non-veterans too. Also, help them get jobs in the city here. There are a lot of HELP WANTED signs up. I also want to talk more about getting Veterans any disability rating they deserve....the money they spend would be in town. Non-veterans may be entitled to Social Security disability.
Thats awesome. Hope it works out.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Cleared more lumber off the rotting deck. Not sure if the joists are compromised. They have white fungi on them but seem solid. I'm letting sunlight kill the fungus and will see.

The deck was over a foundation with a concrete floor. The drain system clogged and let water stand. That has drained off but there is an inch or so of debris, mostly organic material that fell thru the cracks in the decking. It is essentially rotted compost. I'll shovel it off and put the stuff on my flower beds.

Plans are to fix the drain system and deck over with manufacture decking that seals and/or make most of the deck into an kitchen addition. It will add a 10 By 16 foot space to the house. The foundation is 36" below grade so that should pass inspection. I planned to do this 20 years ago when I built it but life got in the way.

Mostly my kid's life, which frankly sucks.

This house was originally a 1500 square foot "Starter home" that suffered a fire. I bought it to flip in 1976 for $19K. I put $6,500 into it and instead of selling it for $48K we moved in. I've been flipping it ever since.

Now we boast 2300 square feet of living space. This will make the total 2460 square feet. This does not include the 900 sq feet garden apt in what was the basement. Wood and ceramic floors throughout. It is way overbuilt for the neighborhood but I don't really care.

Last appraisal was $248K mostly because the surrounding comps are at $210K.

We are not looking to sell so it matters little.

Last edited:

Ceee

Site Supporter
I really like that you're doing this, too(y)(y)(y).

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If this progresses you should start a thread about this, it might be useful in other areas and maybe could be duplicated.

I'd have to think that there are federal grants that would apply to all 50 states but more localized grants, from state/county and private groups would have to be source per location. Still, it is the seed of the idea, growing it could help a lot of people

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
If this progresses you should start a thread about this, it might be useful in other areas and maybe could be duplicated.

I'd have to think that there are federal grants that would apply to all 50 states but more localized grants, from state/county and private groups would have to be source per location. Still, it is the seed of the idea, growing it could help a lot of people
The VA has allocated $400,000,000 to house homeless Veterans. Anyone can find that on line, so I suppose people could find assistance programs for non-Veteran homeless people. Anyone could start the process by contacting their mayor, city council people and county supervisors.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing too exciting today. I made a trip to the city to finally return excess plumbing supplies from the bathroom reno then went to order the backslash for the bathroom (finally). It's Tuesday so that means dump day. I did that then picked out a nice comfy spot on the couch to park my butt for the afternoon.

olivia24

Well, work and i was going to go to the mall this evening but its just started to rain. Just hang at home and do some super exciting clothes washing.

olivia24

Cleared more lumber off the rotting deck. Not sure if the joists are compromised. They have white fungi on them but seem solid. I'm letting sunlight kill the fungus and will see.

The deck was over a foundation with a concrete floor. The drain system clogged and let water stand. That has drained off but there is an inch or so of debris, mostly organic material that fell thru the cracks in the decking. It is essentially rotted compost. I'll shovel it off and put the stuff on my flower beds.

Plans are to fix the drain system and deck over with manufacture decking that seals and/or make most of the deck into an kitchen addition. It will add a 10 By 16 foot space to the house. The foundation is 36" below grade so that should pass inspection. I planned to do this 20 years ago when I built it but life got in the way.

Mostly my kid's life, which frankly sucks.

This house was originally a 1500 square foot "Starter home" that suffered a fire. I bought it to flip in 1976 for $19K. I put $6,500 into it and instead of selling it for $48K we moved in. I've been flipping it ever since.

Now we boast 2300 square feet of living space. This will make the total 2460 square feet. This does not include the 900 sq feet garden apt in what was the basement. Wood and ceramic floors throughout. It is way overbuilt for the neighborhood but I don't really care.

Last appraisal was $248K mostly because the surrounding comps are at $210K.

We are not looking to sell so it matters little.
I can scrape up 2000 for it!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The lovely Mrs_Bob wanted me to map out a motorcycle ride for today. Mapped out a rural round trip path to Notre Dame. Trip would have been about 190 miles for the loop route. She said she wanted to ride father. So now its about 250 miles for the loop. That is the plan.

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.42.39 AM.png

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
There is another fire this year near the work cabin, ( Dixie fire ) Its a very big fire that already completely burned Greenville, a small gold rush town established around 1860. It is also threatening Chester which is a good sized tourist area around lake Alamnor. The way the wind is blowing while looking at the fire map, it may just skirt north of me up there. My cabin neighbor drove there from Reno yesterday to check out our places clean pine needles around the cabins. he called me yesterday afternoon on his way back to Reno, he didn't want to stay in case the fire came over the mountain during the night. I had planned to go there but decided not to, 1- not a good idea to stay there right now. 2- there are no hotel rooms available due to refugees from other towns that got evacuated. I looked at the fire map this morning and it is skirting north like I hoped, it just needs to keep going that way. Also the neighbors daughter climbed to the peak of the mountain in the direction it would come from and reported that side of the mountain is completely burned up from last year where there is no undergrowth and very few trees, so maybe the fire last year will save us this year.