• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I was lifting a car jack into my pickup when it slipped and fell on my right hand. It slipped and took a four by three inch chunk of skin off the palm.

So instead of the work I planned this weekend at Hippie Ridge, I am at home nursing a scotch.

Oh well.
Maybe I can talk the wife into some sailing instead.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like there is a strong possibility that I will be coaching at the USA Fencing Summer National Championship event for 3 days in July. And no, it is not Dasha. Another one of my students, actually a former student who I got started in fencing as a freshman at Marian Catholic H.S. is going and needs a coach. Due to some odd circumstances, his "real" coach can't go to the event. I'm actually good friends with his real coach, it looks like I will be the stand in coach for this young man. He earned a scholarship to an East Coast school for fencing, just graduated from Marian, and asked me if I would be able to coach him.

I've delayed giving him an answer, largely due to our situation with our foster son Kobe, but after meeting with Kobe's grandma today, both the lovely Mrs_Bob and I feel comfortable with me leaving for 5 days to go to Pennsylvania.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No day ever goes as planned.

Took Kobe to the hospital emergency room at 6:30am. He now has his 3 bout of Bronchiolitis and was transferred from our local hospital to Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis. Of course a couple hours after he was transferred down there (3 hours + 1 time zone away) he started feeling better and they took him off the Oxygen assist. I expect he will be released tomorrow.

He had a runny nose yesterday and was running around, smiling, chasing the dogs, doing kid stuff. Today he is in the hospital, but at least he is feeling much better this afternoon.

I am home with the dogs.

The lovely Mrs_Bob got a 'free' ride in the ambulance to Indianapolis.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
No day ever goes as planned.

Took Kobe to the hospital emergency room at 6:30am. He now has his 3 bout of Bronchiolitis and was transferred from our local hospital to Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis. Of course a couple hours after he was transferred down there (3 hours + 1 time zone away) he started feeling better and they took him off the Oxygen assist. I expect he will be released tomorrow.

He had a runny nose yesterday and was running around, smiling, chasing the dogs, doing kid stuff. Today he is in the hospital, but at least he is feeling much better this afternoon.

I am home with the dogs.

The lovely Mrs_Bob got a 'free' ride in the ambulance to Indianapolis.
I had Bronchiolitis really bad when I was a kid in Mi. I was or am allergic to dust, and humidity has never been my friend. And yes you can go from good to can't breathe with that condition very quickly. Glad he is ok.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Made it back from the work cabin, got the water going, details in the camp life section

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Stuff like this is for adults. Whilst we tough it out, ,,,'; It's tough on a kid. Hoping Kobe gets better soon.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Its so friggin hot here I have been working in the shop doing machine work from 6am ( it was already hot ) until 10am where its already pushing 100, it think its suppose to hit 109 today and there is 0 wind. At least low humidity but hot.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Reading this,,, I feel so much better knowing I'm working in the cool 98 F here is St Louis.

Saturday we are going with the Crossfire car club to Steelville MO to float the Merrimac river. It is supposed to be in the low nineties.

HOW COOL IS THAT???

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
There were severe storms around for most of the day.
Thankfully the second round decided to head south after the 1,000 lightning strikes this morning.
Right now it's like a damn sauna outside.
I pruned my sad little geranium, made dinner then talked to Ty who is on vacation again in NC.
Jeff got hired in at Johns Manville today.
Thank God!
20210618_180702.jpg
Nct20210618_170024_copy_614x614.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Thursday I had to go rescue my son with the hauler, He has had a rear main knock at startup for at least a year. I told him then to drop the pan and check thing out and if the crank looked OK to roll in a new set of bearings one at a time. He didn't listen and now I think the rear main bearing spun. Making lots of noise and oil leaking out. So today he is pulling the motor after ordering a long block and a clutch kit. $2500.00 later he will be back on the road. would have been $65.00 and an afternoon last year. It is the best option as used car prices are quite high right now.
IMG_2276.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Worked on filling the pool today. And then cleaning the water. And picking up debris.

We had a crack in our fiberglass pool. Repair crew from the pool company finished the pool repair yesterday. After draining the pool they cut out the bad fiberglass, repaired it, gel coated it and yesterday we used our well to put about 12" of water into the pool. But our hose water is unfiltered and we have lots of IRON in our water so the water turned brown as it was exposed to oxygen.

So we trucked in 8000 gallons of water today. Then finished off again with the hose late this afternoon.

At lunch today I took some pumps and hoses back to my local pool guy. His Honda VTX1300 (motorcycle) was parked in the back while we unloaded my truck. He has been riding for about 18 months. His wife rides a Honda Rebel 500. They go on 90 minute to 2 hour rides but would like to take trips so I gave him some motorcycle Apps to look at that give turn-by-turn navigation and keep you off the interstate system.

Came back home and did more work on the pool. Had Kobe all asleep on my lap, and generally did nothing but babysit the pool and the baby.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Kids coming over around 9am, we plan to do some shooting until its to hot ( around 11am ) then we are going downtown so I can enjoy lunch on the kids. Gonna be a good day.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I
Worked on filling the pool today. And then cleaning the water. And picking up debris.

We had a crack in our fiberglass pool. Repair crew from the pool company finished the pool repair yesterday. After draining the pool they cut out the bad fiberglass, repaired it, gel coated it and yesterday we used our well to put about 12" of water into the pool. But our hose water is unfiltered and we have lots of IRON in our water so the water turned brown as it was exposed to oxygen.

So we trucked in 8000 gallons of water today. Then finished off again with the hose late this afternoon.

At lunch today I took some pumps and hoses back to my local pool guy. His Honda VTX1300 (motorcycle) was parked in the back while we unloaded my truck. He has been riding for about 18 months. His wife rides a Honda Rebel 500. They go on 90 minute to 2 hour rides but would like to take trips so I gave him some motorcycle Apps to look at that give turn-by-turn navigation and keep you off the interstate system.

Came back home and did more work on the pool. Had Kobe all asleep on my lap, and generally did nothing but babysit the pool and the baby.
Just went through the whole pool procedure last week helping a buddy do a pool liner.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent the morning under a DOBOY wrapper fixing the pinion gear assy. Messy job in a really bad place. My back is killing. This wrapper is 35 years old. One of the first I bought when beginning my business. This is only the second time I've had to do this so, it's not so bad.

We have three of this model. They are mid budget machines who have outlived their cycle life's by at least 3 times. But real moneymakers because they have been paid for many, many years ago. So I guess a little intense attention now and then is acceptable.
Still, my back is killing me.

Doboy only built 26 of these. I was involved in the prototype and design because as a field tech I had feedback to offer. They had a design flaw that would have taken $60.00 to correct at conception but accounting said no. That flaw made the machine hard to operate and it soon lost favoring the market

I have bought, owned and sold about 13 of them including the very first model off the line. As a result, I often picked them up in the used market for $2K. Did the $60.00 mod and sold them for $20K or more. Original list new was $28K.

This one I fixed again today was that first off the line model.

I service and support what I sell so these machines are still making product, and money, for people, all over the country.

I have a standing offer with those customers if they want to trade up.

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I was finally able to vamoose the old toilet and sinks from the bathroom reno as I was waiting for a second hand store to reopen following the bs covid shut down. Nice to get them out of the yard.

Then I tackled the last couple tasks to complete on my son's car before it goes to the garage for a safety.

In between rain showers, I made a trip to the dump. I heard the hot tub calling me when I got home so that's where I am now.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I was finally able to vamoose the old toilet and sinks from the bathroom reno as I was waiting for a second hand store to reopen following the bs covid shut down. Nice to get them out of the yard.

Then I tackled the last couple tasks to complete on my son's car before it goes to the garage for a safety.

In between rain showers, I made a trip to the dump. I heard the hot tub calling me when I got home so that's where I am now.
Thanks for the suggestion Brian. My hot tub is indoors but, it is now today's destination.

If the wife complains,:clap: I'll blame it on you.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The whirlpool was great last night. Coffee and a scotch made it better. Slept like a baby but,,,,; 5:30 AM came early this morning and ruined the rest of my day.
Two mechanic/techs out today. (I only have two) so my day on the shop floor is hell.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday I bought a 8D starting battery and wrestled it in the boat and got the old one out, they weigh around 130# and its a tight fit under the Salon area. Today I am taking the old one back for core deposit and some new battery terminals. Then headed back to the boat to finish the battery installation then bleed the engine that wouldn't start and get it going, shouldn't take long when the engine will turn over long enough to bleed the injectors. After that I will get back on re coating the bright work. The good news is it seem to be worth a lot more than when I bought it right after the 2008 crash.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sold the older fifth wheel camper this morning. Delivering it Monday. Headed to camp soon for the weekend. Bringing the boat out to maybe do some tubing tomorrow.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Went back to the boat today, bought new battery lugs and returned the 8D core. I got the engine fired up that wouldn't start last time. Even when it cranked good with the new battery, I had to bleed the injector pump and injectors again, then it started right up. I have been neglecting it since I bought the cabin property, likely hasn't been started in the better part of 2 years. I ran the other engine and generator again also. I picked a spot on the bright work as a test se if I can blend in the new cetol where the old was coming off. I scraped the loose part off then sanded the wood and featherd it in. Its an area about 4" wide and a foot long. If it looks ok when dried it will be easy to do, but when I go back if it looks blotchy I will have to take all of the old stuff off and start over., Not something want to do but its a nice boat with low hours and I don't want to half ass it. Also there is paint peeling on the aft enclosure around the windows that needs attention.
IMG_2292.jpg

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Today I worked with a city councilman to get a resource brochure together for people passing through. It would have the businesses, their addresses and phone numbers so visitors can locate restaurants, lounges, gas stations, grocery stores, etc. He wondered how it would be funded. I told him you could charge each business, say, $25. He thought that was reasonable. We'll see. I also stood in front of the city council Monday with some suggestions for the hospital. The mayor put me in touch with the hospital administration and he likes my ideas. And I've only been here two weeks...LOL.