• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never been an OTR driver.

Still among the turbines for another six months or so.
I'm sorry Dave. Got you mixed up with John Day. Your guys names sounded so much alike I got yall confused. Moving away from the turbines? Giving up your beautiful farm land? Or are the turbines being closed down?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Still cold today. -28c this morning. I'm out in the garage working on my buddy's dodge. Nothing major. His e brake cable is hanging down. When I'm done that, the older snowmobile is coming into the shop for me to tear the chaincase apart to change the seals.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I put the snowblower on the tractor. Now it’s a safe bet that the predicted snowstorm will miss us completely.
3EF62D90-52C3-4EF4-A74B-A4BE8F062D88.jpeg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Another chilling morning at -28c. It warmed up though. I spent the day in the garage working on the older snowmobile replacing chaincase seals. It's a messy job but had to be done.
20210128_143133.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I put the snowblower on the tractor. Now it’s a safe bet that the predicted snowstorm will miss us completely. View attachment 134429
Lol
Yeah. They are predicting 5-8 inches here.
So for Ohio that can mean an inch or a foot.
I've been busy today doing all the usual stuff around the apartment.
Cleaning, laundry, no cooking though.
Jeff treated me to a nice lunch which was very satisfying.
I wanted to go to Churchill's in Toledo to do my grocery shopping but never got that far.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Moved another tree today.
Last week I moved one of the four Dwarf Alberta spruce trees in our crescent garden which edges the brick patio. Today I moved a second one. They were really small when I planted them 12 years ago. But grew to about six feet high and 3 feet in diameter. They block our view of the pond and the bird feeders so I am moving them against the back fence.

Root ball and tree weigh in at about 200 lbs. Because it is a raised bed I could remove bricks to make transport easy on a big snow shovel. It took five long handled shovels and one 36" spade shovel to pry them from the beds. I then roll the root ball onto the snow shovel ( actually a coal shovel I use for snow). Lashing the tree truck to the handle lets me just pull the tree over the ground.

I only had to drag them about 20 feet to their new home and drop in pre-dug holes. Luckily the ground was not frozen last month when I dug them. Slide them over and drop in the hole. Cover with fresh humus. I had commercial soil in bags thawed out to cover their roots.

I have one more to move but they promise a heavy raining Saturday. It is the biggest of the bunch and has roots entangled with a redbud tree. That'll be fun. But the rain will help with the transplanting. The fourth one will stay where it is.

The wife rearranges the furniture in the house. I move trees and bushes in the yard.
I have moved bigger trees but that was in my younger days. This one today took all I had.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Meeting with a plumber soon for the bathroom reno to go over everything before starting this week. Nothing much other than that.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Moving one more Alberta Spruce before the birds set up housekeeping in it.

I move trees and shrubs around a lot. But I won't touch one with an active nest.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
10” of snow has been removed from the driveway. It’s still coming down.

By the way who else is noticing the run up of Silver prices? This could be another big short bubble like GameStop.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Got it done despite the rain. No sooner did I pat down the muddy mess and mulch the ground, it started to snow.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
10” of snow has been removed from the driveway. It’s still coming down.

By the way who else is noticing the run up of Silver prices? This could be another big short bubble like GameStop.
My son called me today to warn me Silver was being hoarded. It's going to go up as a result.

I've never been crazy for silver but we do have some, mostly coinage.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Just more machining of sheaves for cable conveyor, only 14 more to go to fill the first order. They take around 4 hours each to machine.
Yesterday I started training the help to make
IMG_1848.jpg
them so I can move to getting the cable conveyor part going. there is 1400' of that to get fabricated. When the materials show up I likely will have to hire a couple workers in the shop to get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Dentist appointment this morning followed by a chiropractor appointment. Nothing planned for the afternoon so I loaded up the snowmobile and trailered 20 minutes away to join onto the snowmobile trail system. Nice ride this afternoon.
20210202_151745.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Stepped into the 21st century today with TV. Today I received my wireless jetpack from Verizon. Costs me $15.00 per month and comes with HULU and Disney. The wireless device was $200.00. Called DishNetwork and gave the young man that answered the phone a history lesson.
1- VHS took out drive in movie theaters
2- Cable took out video stores
3- And now internet TV is taking out Cable.
4- ????? will take out internet TV in the future.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Top of the mrning everyone. It's a balmy -28 celcius with a windchill of -42 celcius. We're starting demo on our bathroom this morning. The cabinets all have to be removed carefully as they're being reused. I will be heling the contractor remove them. Once the actual construction starts, he'll be on his own. So that'sthe plan for today.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our plan is to leave Kobe with my cousins family for a few hours without us being there. He has spent time ‘alone’ with them inside our home. But never alone outside our home.

I have other family here in Columbus so the goal is to drop off Kobe with one family member, then go visit the other. A few hours later pick Kobe back up. We want to work up to 5+ hours apart from him. He’s never experienced that. While I have no fears of separation anxiety from him (they have 1 dog, 2 boys & lots of toys) it just seems prudent to remain close. Their homes are literally 15 minutes apart so if there is an unexpected issue we will only be a few minutes apart.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That's a good plan, Bob. ?
Good luck with all of that too.

I'm doing an afternoon shift today.
Nothing much going on here otherwise.
The weather won't allow it.
?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Good plan Bob. When I was still working, that's the same approach we took up here for working with children either moving to a new foster home or reuniting with their families. In some cases though that wasn't possible.

I'm hurtin after yesterday's demo day on the bathroom. It should be nearly down to studs today. We built a temporary wall between the bedroom and bathroom to help keep the dust contained to the bathroom only.

It's another gorgeous day outside. All the school busses in town and in the rural areas are canceled this morning following yesterday's fiasco. They make the decision to cancel buses based on the ambient temperature at 6am at the airport in town. Generally it's colder in the country. Yesterday it was -28 celcius at the airport with a windchill of -42. The temperature before windchill has to be below -34. Well, that's what it was yesterday and most buses were 15 to 20 minutes late. That's too long for kids to be waiting outside by the road. Plus, buses where breaking down leaving kids stranded without heat.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We are still in Columbus, OH. Going to drop Kobe off with my cousin, our plan is to come back to the hotel and pack up. We don't have to check out until 1pm, at which point we will go back to my cousin's house, for a late lunch and Kobe and then head for home an hour or two later.

One of the things we want to do is learn their schedule better and how they do things inside their home. So we can start to modify Kobe's schedule over the next couple of months to do things more in time with what they do, and more in the way they do. It would make his transition easier. As he will be in "strange" surroundings, despite the fact that this is the only other place he has ever visited, it is still not quite home for him. We'll have a couple more visits here too.

Columbus got some snow. Its supposed to end in a couple hours. I gather it has already tapered off. Looking out the window it looks like about 1.5" of snow. I expect the roads should be clear by the time we head home.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Grocery shopping for one.
Then after that, who knows?

I've recently caught up with an old Navy family friend who lives in Rhode Island.
We've been friends since age 6, but lost contact sometime in early 2000.
She found me on (you guessed it) Facebook.
Talked for hours last night! ?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday afternoon when I came up from the shop when we finished for the day, Got a phone call from a plant and we were not finished. Worked until 9pm doing a conveyor repair.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Drove to South Beloit/Rockford IL in the minivan. Picked up the '96 Dodge 3500 we bought off E-Bay.
190Kmiles and some minor body damage to the left rear fender. A work truck kinda trashed interior with some things that don't work. All easy stuff to fix. Needs a rear bumper and some small damage repairs to the after market running boards
Driver's seat is torn. Everything else was just dirty.

Dash was unbroken and immaculate. Unheard of in these trucks when that old. Drove south to St louis at 70 to 75 MPH. No rattles or complaints. Minor high speed vibrations when we left S Beloit, but smooth and silky by the time we go home. I 'm thinking flat spots on tires from storage. Mechanically flawless. Auto tranny shifted as it should. No smoke even when cold. Outside was zero this morning. Cummins diesel was cold yet started right up.

Nice trip home to St louis. I think we got a diamond in the rough.

Last edited:

olivegirl

Today I rode a horse all day. My hobby is horseback riding. I always wanted it since childhood. But it was expensive and difficult for my parents. So I started doing it when I was 22. The disadvantages are the same, it's expensive and I have to drive far out of town, but it's worth it. Horses are amazing creatures, they are powerful and noble. I adore them. That's why I try to ride horses every week. I already have a favorite horse, his name is Lightning, he is 8 years old and he is brown.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
IMG_1921.jpg
My son and I have been working on a broken industrial wicket oven for the last 8 days 24 hours per day. It derailed on the bottom and was complete full of wickets ( 3200 ) the rail in the picture is what caused the wreck. Every thing had to be removed straighter out and re installed. Not a fun space to work in.
IMG_1912.jpg
IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg