What are you doing today, 2021 edition

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Saturday evening at the bungalow....
IMG_3516.jpg

This is my Springfield MO girlfriend. Don't tell the wife!

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing exciting. Just a day of running back and forth to the city, a dump run, a run halfway to the border 25 miles south to pick up a cabinet for the bathroom, a run over to the village 10 miles away to drive our second oldest son to work, and a run back there later to look at another plow truck. How should I end the day? Why not make another run to pick up our son after work. Will be nice when he's able to drive on his own.

Not sure on the states but up here, we have graduated licensing which means that you have to drive with a licensed driver for a full year followed by being able to drive on your own with restrictions on passengers and not being allowed to drive on certain highways alone for a year.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing exciting. Just a day of running back and forth to the city, a dump run, a run halfway to the border 25 miles south to pick up a cabinet for the bathroom, a run over to the village 10 miles away to drive our second oldest son to work, and a run back there later to look at another plow truck. How should I end the day? Why not make another run to pick up our son after work. Will be nice when he's able to drive on his own.

Not sure on the states but up here, we have graduated licensing which means that you have to drive with a licensed driver for a full year followed by being able to drive on your own with restrictions on passengers and not being allowed to drive on certain highways alone for a year.
Why?

Oh yes, I forget, driving is not a right but a privilege.

Same issues down here.

Most states you have to drive with a permit and a licensed driver. Many require this for 6 months to a year, or more.

One ticket on your learners permit or provisional license, and you have to wait until your 21 to get one.

Me, I was driving the car to town at the age of 10. But that was some time ago.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a 'fun' day being a responsible adult for me.

Helping Dasha sort and pack her belongings into my truck. Then, after the truck is parked in the garage, taking Dasha to Notre Dame, leaving most of her belongings at home. Wait? What? Yep, taking Dasha to campus but not moving her into her dorm.

She has to be on campus this afternoon ... but can't move into her dorm???

She will be staying with a group of international students in a hotel, without all their belongings, for the next day and a half.

Wednesday I will be taking her belongings to campus and moving them into her dorm room. Seems like an incredibly inconvenient and ill conceived way to move kids into their dorms. Granted, it only affects a couple dozen students who are acting as "international ambassadors" for the campus's incoming foreign student, but still. Dum. Stoopid.
I'm trying my best to envision you as a "responsible adult."

Dasha has grown since her last photo.

Beautiful young lady

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm trying my best to envision you as a "responsible adult."

Dasha has grown since her last photo.

Beautiful young lady
I'm just pretending to be a 'responsible adult' so it is only an illusion.

As for Dasha, she has matured from a pretty young girl to a beautiful young lady. We are very proud of her, which seems sort of odd because we didn't raise her, but we do feel that she is part of our family. Wednesday I move her into her dorm room. It is supposed to be both hot and humid so I will likely be both sweaty and crabby. Wish her luck, she will need it if I am crabby.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I finally found the time to spend a full day in the garage. First was a bit of a clean up as the guy who works out there is a bit of a messy mechanic. Lol. I have a bad habit of working on something and once done, getting too focused on trying out what I fixed/built and leaving the tools laying around instead of putting them away. I made a dent in the mess. Then installed a new/used tonneau cover on the truck. I've had a cheaper roll up one I bought 7 years ago that was coming apart and needed replacing. I found a solid fold up factory one for sale for a steal so I picked it up yesterday.

Once that was done, I turned my attention to the Jacobsen mower. It has been sitting there for the past month as we've had little to no rain and the lawn was dying. I blew a few belts on the mower deck earlier this year and had ordered a few more. One to install and 2 spares. There's a shorter main belt that goes from the main center hydraulic pump to a pulley that controls the other two blades. It's a 72" triple blade lastec deck. The belt has two main pulleys and a spring loaded tension pulley that pivots on and keeps the belt tight. The height of the pulley can be adjusted by adding washers as spacers on the pivot shaft. It appears someone else had it apart in the past and didn't reinstall the correct amount of washers allowing some play which cause the belt to break. It's now lined up correctly and reassembled. It's also got a pin hole about halfway up the oil pan where the rear steering arm rubbed against it. That's tomorrow's task.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I finally found the time to spend a full day in the garage. First was a bit of a clean up as the guy who works out there is a bit of a messy mechanic. Lol. . .
I know a guy like that too.

I did some garage clean up yesterday and some more today. Also covered my motorcycle seat and then went for a 3.5 hour ride!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Took the wife to get blood drawn for a test, Went to Costco and stocked up while was getting poked. Timing was perfect, as soon as I pulled in the parking lot she came out. Now we are going to have a seafood salad with prawns, sea scallops, salmon with artichoke hearts and a little smoked cheese along with my favorite vinaigrette dressing. Wife is going at it, we will be eating in about 15 minutes

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Slowly catching up on yard chores. Getting organized to work on floor joists for the deck overhaul.

Beautiful cool day with a nice breeze. My heart says "Go Sailing." But the project needs to be executed.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Night ride tonight, can you see me with all these lights?

I enjoy night rides but I hate the DOT mimimim lights on motorcycles so I added extras.

My wife's brother & sister-in-law arrived in Chicago. We met them in the city and went to the Printers Row book fair, stopped at a bar for an early afternoon beer just to escape the heat/humidity, stopped at Melen's apartment for a visit with her, then arrived home earlier this evening. Quick ride for fun. Bourbon now!

tempImageWIaOe0.jpg

tempImagetVGJBB.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We didn't make it to the accident scene. Instead, we went to empty dads personal possessions from the transport then went to the funeral home to begin planning for the service next week.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Heading back to the Springfield Bungalow with my girl. Weekend of romance if we are not too tired after working the Hippie ridge project.

Plans are to clear the space for the bunkhouse since Cathy decided to move the location of the damn thing ,,,again.

If third time is the charm, we are way past charming. However, once I move rock dirt, heaven and earth, I do hope she settles on a permanent place.

We are leaving tonite and be back Monday evening.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I did something I'd never done until today. I rode my honda goldwing trike
in a VFW ride to support injured veterans. Similar to a poker run but they used dice instead. You rolled 3 die at each of the 5 stops and logged your total. At the end they add up your five scores. Highest score wins top prize. Lowest score got the 2nd place.
We rode over 160 miles of beautiful back roads. Truly enjoyed the ride.