• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I spent the morning assembling a wardrobe closet for my daughter's bedroom yesterday then decided on an afternoon hot tub as I was stiff and sore. While I was in there, I decided to remove all the tarps I had wrapped around the gazebo during the winter after looking at the forecast. I still have to remove the temporary support post I install every fall to help with snow load.

20240406_161116.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Spending the day at the hospital with my oldest daughter who is going for an endoscopy scope for her stomach issues. Still cruising around in a rental f150 as mine is at the body shop waiting for repairs.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably going to swap the snow blower off the tractor and install the finish mower.

Afternoon is fencing lessons at my club. Evening is fencing practice at Purdue.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Back on the roof today. I plan on finishing the front of the house with the exception of a small panel on the east over, the front bedroom.

I put all the tender plants outside yesterday so if I have the time, I'll clean the greenhouse.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I allowed myself several HOURS to move the mower deck to the concrete pad so I could hook it up to the tractor, to put the blower in the storage space that the mower deck occupied and to hook everything up.

Got the band-aids, wound wash and other necessary supplies ready.

In about 30 minutes everything was done except greasing the spindles and there were no injuries. WTF??? Today might end up being a very good day.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I allowed myself several HOURS to move the mower deck to the concrete pad so I could hook it up to the tractor, to put the blower in the storage space that the mower deck occupied and to hook everything up.

Got the band-aids, wound wash and other necessary supplies ready.

In about 30 minutes everything was done except greasing the spindles and there were no injuries. WTF??? Today might end up being a very good day.

Have you bought any lottery tickets? That never happens.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you bought any lottery tickets? That never happens.
No, probably should have done that!

I just got back in from mowing. Ground is pretty wet and the tractor weighs roughly 7000# so it dug in a bit on some of the corners. The little Ventrac will take care of mowing duties up near the trees, planters, foundations, etc. I just plan on using the big tractor for open areas because the deck is bigger and gets those tasks done quickly

I think I got all the spindles greased before mowing, didn't hear any squealing of metal on metal, so that is a bonus.

I did have a heck of a struggle connecting up the PTO shaft. Someone needs to invent a better system. I know it works, but damn. On the bright side, I was wearing gloves and didn't hit my hand/fingers with the little sledge hammer that ultimately drove the shaft into the 'lock' position. I had it all greased up, all lined up, slid on about 1/2 way and then just didn't want to go the rest of the way. It is there now.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I am placing new shingles over the ole. This has it's benefits.

First there is no tear off which exposes the wood roof to storm damage. And it takes time. It is what we did 25 years ago and the result was a downpour that damaged parts of our home's interior. Secondly, you cannot do small sections that way So, you need time, energy and a crew to get it done. I have neither.

So, we are laying new over old. Two layers are legal most everywhere.
And then there is the bonus of being able to lay shingle in a pattern that already exists.

However, The ends at the eaves need special work as they should not show the extra layers and they are usually very dry and cracked.

I am adding drip edge so I must take the shingles apart at the edges of the roof. Not pretty or easy. However, the finished product is much nicer looking and will perform well in the rain and windstorms we often endure.

I had 16 feet of this to do today on the west side of the house. Clearly it had suffered from the 25 years of summer sun. Once replaced and a drip edge installed and covered, it will look well.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday and today have been busy with misc projects. 2 of us working.

Installed a new 8' LED ceiling fixture at the fencing club, which required rerouting a video camera wire around the light fixture. That was the 2nd of 2 new LED fixtures we installed.

Planned out, and then went to HomeDepot to pick up parts for a new outlet box that we want to install in the armory area. We have 1 box there now, but run several power strips off of it to reach the 3 major work stations. We are going to hardwire in another outlet box so we can eliminate some of the power strips which, currently, are like a spaghetti bowl of wires.

Also worked on the floor at the fencing club. We use 12" by 12" raised plastic tiles for the floor. They absorb some of the impact and they are grippy, but the top surface wears smooth under heavy use, so every few years we tear out a section of the floor and replace it. We re-use the worn out tiles to expand the floor in areas that are non-critical like walking areas, or areas were we want the referees to stand.

At home helped the Lovely Mrs_Bob with some chores. Ran to Aldi for some produce. Now sitting at home eating a late lunch. I have to go back to the fencing club for lessons tonight. It is our last day of "beginners class" so we have a tournament for the beginners. Next week we start up the Advanced Beginner class, which is my class and is boring but necessary for the new fencers who want to progress in their skills. We do 2 hour sessions of just drills, no actual fencing. The younger kids hate it, they drop out. The teens and adults like it and get better.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Heading for Springfield MO today. THe weekend planning is to begin taking our bungalow property apart so we can move it to Hippie Ridge.

The trailer parks new owners want the RV's off of the lots on which they can sell and place full sized brand new Mobile homes. So, we are out.

We have two RV's in the trailer park. The smaller one is for my grandson and it is just a disconnect and pull out. The 40 foot Destination Bungalow is a whole nuther matter.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Running like a mad man all morning. Stopped long enough for a quick bite to eat. So far I started the day by sanding the basement wall then blew the drywall dust off me to drive my daughter to school in the city. I've been driving a rental f150 for a couple weeks as mine has been sitting at the body shop waiting on parts. It's still drivable so I figured I'd save mileage on mine and drive a new f150 for a while on the insurances dime. They called yesterday to advise me I only had a week left of rental coverage so I brought it back and picked up my truck. Went to a store to pick up a mattress for my son then came home to change out the broken mirror on the truck and give it a semi annual cleaning inside. I had just installed chrome mirrors last winter and still had my old ones sitting in the garage. Two bolts and 2 nuts later, I have a mirror again. This afternoon is a shuffling of beds.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doing weed killers. 2 gallons at a time but I'm making progress. This is in the driveways, gardens, mulch beds... Need to do the whole yard but weather isn't right for application.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Didn't do much today. Probably should have push mowed the 'dog yard' because I am waiting for some parts for the Ventrac lawn tractor to arrive. While I wait the only recourse is the push mower. Most of the surrounding lawn is mowed, but not the 'dog yard' and that is growing too quickly. Tonight's rain is not going to help!

I did coach, alone, the Advanced Beginner saber class tonight. 16 people. Class went very well. I was happy with it. We return next Thursday for another 2 hour session. I hype it up by telling them it will be "drills" and more "drills" but no actual fencing. Lots of me talking, lots of repetitive drilling to try to learn. But they were asking about coming back next week, so I don't think I scared away all of them. In the past I've made a few cry. That didn't happen tonight.

I need to get the weed killer applied. I have GROUND CLEAR for the gravel drive, which is in desperate shape for a heavy application. And Dandelion killer for the lawn. But we are getting daily rain. I did manage to get the carpenter and graduals spread to create a perimeter barrier, that was when there was a long enough lull between rain to get it out. Water/rain helps that stuff.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday, I set 144 used bricks into my garden pathway to extend it to the new garden gate enclosure.
I need to locate 66 more to finish the project.
These puppies are expensive $2-$3 apiece. If you can find them.
I have used brick structures all over the yard. Some will be modified to add to my supply.
Today I found about 30 of them I can steal

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday, I set 144 used bricks into my garden pathway to extend it to the new garden gate enclosure.
I need to locate 66 more to finish the project.
These puppies are expensive $2-$3 apiece. If you can find them.
I have used brick structures all over the yard. Some will be modified to add to my supply.
Today I found about 30 of them I can steal

My back can feel that post.

The usual couple trips back and forth to the city to bring our daughter to and from school for me today. I also have a couple of things to pick up. I have to replace a trailer wiring harness plug in on my flat deck trailer. I just changed it last fall but with the road salt up here in the winter, the trailer takes a beating and electrical connections corrode.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well not a good start to the day when I got up at 5:30am

Mitty, our Australian Shepherd pooped on the floor in the foyer. That is a very odd occurrence he is typically very good about pooping outside unless there is a serious emergency or maybe it was because he was afraid of the storm outside?

The robot vacuum turned that single pile of poop into a ‘murder scene’ that spread poop all over the foyer floor.

So I’ve been up mopping and scrubbing the foyer.

I am not done mopping the floor but I needed to get coffee.

I have to go back to the poop cleaning.

FWIW, Mitty is sleeping comfortably on the bed with Walter now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sore. Arthritis pain sore. Not sure if it is from getting up early and mopping the poop off the floors or if it is the change in weather (heavy rain followed by 15 degree temperature drop), or the fact that I taught an advancing beginners fencing class last night, or maybe a combination of all that? But I took 3 advil. Then a few hours later a tramadol (low level opioid) pain killer. The lovely Mrs_Bob suggested a shot of bourbon, and I took a shot about an hour ago. Still hurting. Probably going for another tramadol soon. Arthritis sucks.