• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I am curious. What does your peperettes taste like, if you can please describe it?

Does it taste like a combination of sausage and chicken? Or a different type of flavor altogether?

They're a spicy garlic and a bunch of other spices. Texture very similar to typical beef peperettes. We did a 10lb batch. Mixed 7lbs of partridge with 3lbs of pork fat. Then smoked them 12 hrs. I'm gearing up to do another batch in late February. Because it's wild meat it's a touch dry. But not bad. We're going to increase the pork fat this time around.

PGBC

New tires on my F350 finally, the factory tires are junk.
New puppy, and next is a trip to the pet store to buy some things.
Also need to buy an oil filter, and change the oil in my new F350. I believe in an early first oil change, so will do so in the next few days.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Didn't do a whole lot today as the boss and I both went for our third jab yesterday. This one kinda knocked the wind outta me. We had to bring my son's nissan rogue back to the dealership yesterday. It blew a heater fan over Christmas and went in to get repaired January 4th. 3 days later it stopped working again. Before Christmas, a deer did a 180 on the shoulder of the road and ran back across into the side of my wife's ford expedition denting in the fender. So it's finally going in to get repaired today. I brought it to the body shop (which happens to be a subsidiary business of the nissan dealership where my son's car is currently). We got a fully loaded dodge Durango as a rental until ours is fixed.

J.J. McDaniels

Wrapped up work early today and afterwards, I went in to extend a rental on my work truck and upon leaving I saw an older bleach-blond haired woman walk in and ask to speak to the manager. I sh*t you not. Couldn’t have left at a better time 🙂

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Today is going to be another day of nothing. It's a balmy -35 outside. The kids are doing their last day of home schooling and the boss is working. That leaves me sitting in the living room bored. Lol

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I had two big projects to do last November, when the weather was perfect for it.
At home, finish the deck rebuild and add the insulation to it for the Kitchen addition.
At Hippie Ridge, reciveandspread36 ton of gravel on the new homesite and the new road coming in.

Covid prevented me from doing any of it.

Now, it is too cold to work on the decking project & I cannot get the gravel delivered.

This week in nice enough at Hippie Ridge but the driver says the ground is too wet and soft.

The building has been done for months and they want to deliver it by the end of January. We are running out of time.

Screw the weather. It's next week or nothing. I offered the driver a $100 bonus per load.

J.J. McDaniels

Speaking of snow, we're forecasted to get a light dusting on Sunday but it's more than enough for shoppers to hit the panic button and empty any remaining stocked store shelves of anything. Luckily, we're going to be spared the snow and ice storm half of the country will get. Last year was enough for me.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
We're in for a possible snow event this weekend.
Yay... not!
Anywho, I went to lunch with some of my partners in crime earlier.
Went to a zoom meeting at work, then grocery shopping.
I'm done for the day.

PGBC

Drove out to look at a potential job today, took my new pup along, who slept 95% of the 6 hours drive time, but he had plenty of energy while stopped and walking around.
For just being day two with me, I couldn't be happier with him. He runs ahead while walking around looking at stuff, but he won't go more than about 40' or so, then he stops and waits for me to catch up, and bounds off again. When it was time to leave the area where we were out in the forest, he ran towards the truck, then sat and waited for me to open the door, and pick him up and toss him in. He figured that out very quickly.
This little guy hasn't figured out fetch yet, but is smart, so it won't take long. So far fetch is me throwing the ball, him looking at it, then me walking over and picking it up. So it does seem he already has me trained to fetch it. Doesn't bark much, only if excited about being played with.
Next is to try and find a puppy obedience class, largely to help him learn to socialize with strangers, and strange dogs, but learning basic commands is also good.
Also found oil on sale half price at Canadian Tire, for those of you who are near one, and do your own oil changes.
The big jugs of Mobil 1 fully synthetic for $30, so I bought 20. Oil filters were also on sale half price.
If something doesn't blow up work wise tomorrow, it should be a good oil change day, do the quad, new pickup, and both cars.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Drove out to look at a potential job today, took my new pup along, who slept 95% of the 6 hours drive time, but he had plenty of energy while stopped and walking around.
For just being day two with me, I couldn't be happier with him. He runs ahead while walking around looking at stuff, but he won't go more than about 40' or so, then he stops and waits for me to catch up, and bounds off again. When it was time to leave the area where we were out in the forest, he ran towards the truck, then sat and waited for me to open the door, and pick him up and toss him in. He figured that out very quickly.
This little guy hasn't figured out fetch yet, but is smart, so it won't take long. So far fetch is me throwing the ball, him looking at it, then me walking over and picking it up. So it does seem he already has me trained to fetch it. Doesn't bark much, only if excited about being played with.
Next is to try and find a puppy obedience class, largely to help him learn to socialize with strangers, and strange dogs, but learning basic commands is also good.
Also found oil on sale half price at Canadian Tire, for those of you who are near one, and do your own oil changes.
The big jugs of Mobil 1 fully synthetic for $30, so I bought 20. Oil filters were also on sale half price.
If something doesn't blow up work wise tomorrow, it should be a good oil change day, do the quad, new pickup, and both cars.

Good to know. Lol. I do most of my shopping there. I used to do my own oil changes and brakes etc as I grew up in a small town with only 2 garages. (One of which I wouldn't bring my kids bicycle to get worked on). Living near the city, it's so much easier to pull into one of those quick lube places. I still do my own brakes and other mechanical stuff as I don't trust the shops. Though I have had a few issues with the one chain of quick lube places. (They once pulled the inspection plug for my rear dif and forgot to put it back in. Another time, they used an impact gun on the drain plug and stripped the treads.) They always try to upsell everything there. I once went through one with dad in his truck. They tried telling him he needed a transmission flush and showed him a dipstick with dirty black oil on it. He had just done the transmission fluid a week earlier so it was perfectly fine and clean oil.

This weekend is going to be busy. It's 4am and I'm wide awake with excruciating back pain. We have my daughters pathfinder group (part of the girl guides) coming out this afternoon for snowshoeing and a fire. I have to leave early to play music at the church. My bandmate has been studying and working towards becoming an ordained minister. Today is her ordination and she wanted us to play music at her service.

J.J. McDaniels

I'm going to lay low once again today as it's supposed to rain today before a light dusting of snow pushes into tomorrow. Given that we don't get it here all that often (but when we do, we REALLY do) it's going to be interesting to see how people react in grocery stores over the weekend. I sell baked goods and I really wouldn't doubt walking into my stores to see empty shelves again. It was crazy for about two to three months non-stop because due to the supply chain issue, they'd buy anything and everything and there just wasn't enough to go around.

PGBC

Good to know. Lol. I do most of my shopping there. I used to do my own oil changes and brakes etc as I grew up in a small town with only 2 garages. (One of which I wouldn't bring my kids bicycle to get worked on). Living near the city, it's so much easier to pull into one of those quick lube places. I still do my own brakes and other mechanical stuff as I don't trust the shops. Though I have had a few issues with the one chain of quick lube places. (They once pulled the inspection plug for my rear dif and forgot to put it back in. Another time, they used an impact gun on the drain plug and stripped the treads.) They always try to upsell everything there. I once went through one with dad in his truck. They tried telling him he needed a transmission flush and showed him a dipstick with dirty black oil on it. He had just done the transmission fluid a week earlier so it was perfectly fine and clean oil.

This weekend is going to be busy. It's 4am and I'm wide awake with excruciating back pain. We have my daughters pathfinder group (part of the girl guides) coming out this afternoon for snowshoeing and a fire. I have to leave early to play music at the church. My bandmate has been studying and working towards becoming an ordained minister. Today is her ordination and she wanted us to play music at her service.

I used a quick oil change place once, never will again.
I'll take the 20 minutes to do my own, also a good chance to look around under my vehicles.
If anyone has a new f350, be warned, that new drain plug is a quick twist style, and when it comes out, the oil doesn't come out like a normal vehicle, it rushes out fast and furious.
I hate how tight the factory cranks on the oil filter to. Normally I can just grab them, and twist them off. But every new vehicle I've owned, has required a filter wrench to get the oil filter loose.
I'm picky about my vehicles.
At the tire shop, I brought my own torque wrench. As they mounted and balanced each new tire, i rolled it to my truck, put on the wheel nuts, and once all 4 were on, he lowered it to the ground, and I then tightened each one in a criss cross pattern in 3 steps.
The mechanic didn't mind, and actually complimented me for caring, and said he himself won't let anyone else work on his vehicles.

I drove it home, and double checked the torque of every wheel nut.
Some call me picky, or anal, I believe in doing it correctly.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Finished the valve cover swap on the jeep. details in the truck section, then cut firewood.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I used a quick oil change place once, never will again.
I'll take the 20 minutes to do my own, also a good chance to look around under my vehicles.
If anyone has a new f350, be warned, that new drain plug is a quick twist style, and when it comes out, the oil doesn't come out like a normal vehicle, it rushes out fast and furious.
I hate how tight the factory cranks on the oil filter to. Normally I can just grab them, and twist them off. But every new vehicle I've owned, has required a filter wrench to get the oil filter loose.
I'm picky about my vehicles.
At the tire shop, I brought my own torque wrench. As they mounted and balanced each new tire, i rolled it to my truck, put on the wheel nuts, and once all 4 were on, he lowered it to the ground, and I then tightened each one in a criss cross pattern in 3 steps.
The mechanic didn't mind, and actually complimented me for caring, and said he himself won't let anyone else work on his vehicles.

I drove it home, and double checked the torque of every wheel nut.
Some call me picky, or anal, I believe in doing it correctly.

I used to do all my own oil changes. Somehow laying on a cold cement floor in the winter isn't as appealing as it used to be. Lol. The absolute worst vehicle I ever worked on was the 2001 kia sephia my ex was adamant we had to buy. Picture the filter mounted sideways about halfway up the engine between the engine and firewall. With an opening barely big enough to get your hand in directly over the exhaust. Forget about using a filter wrench as it wouldn't fit. I remember reaching up and nearly burning my arm on hot exhaust pipes and using a crumpled up piece of sandpaper for grip on the filter then when I finally got it loose, having hot oil run down my arm all over the exhaust. I 🤬 that car. We ditched it a 50000km when the back tire locked up without warning.

PGBC

I enjoy shop time, usually, unless something goes really bad.
I just came in from the shop actually.
Put a new water pump impeller in the boat. Then replaced the back window washer nozzle on the Subaru.
I've found that many parts on the Subaru are of extremely low quality.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm officially looking forward to my retirement come April!
That said, I'm working today.😬
I've a niece who did not approve of my announcing it on Farcebook.
She wanted to know why I'm retiring early.
I removed the post as she always has something to say.
🙄

PGBC

I worked long hours yesterday, and then did just 8 hours this morning.
When I got home took a 2 hour nap, I was sleep deprived.
Took my new pup for a long walk on the snowmobile trails.

Looked online for a Honda S2000, my daughter would like to have. Their price is ludicrous.

PGBC

I'm officially looking forward to my retirement come April!
That said, I'm working today.😬
I've a niece who did not approve of my announcing it on Farcebook.
She wanted to know why I'm retiring early.
I removed the post as she always has something to say.
🙄

I'm 3 months early, but congratulations!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Didn't do much yesterday as my lower back gave out on me. Today's not looking much better. When my lower back goes out, I can't walk without assistance. I should have been expecting it though as we have a storm coming today forecast to drop up to 20cm of snow.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm loafing so far today. Two no shows at work so only two machines running. Nothing to do but walkaround the shop making everyone nervous. So I'm sitting at my desk doing special exercises.

I think these are called diddily squats

J.J. McDaniels

Staying warm. It's been cooler here for the last few days and we're in for a brief warm up tomorrow with a projected high of 72 but down to 38 by Thursday for a high and we'll be in a deep freeze each and every morning for the next couple of days. I'm in the South, but we're a lot better off than we were early last year. We had our own Ice Storm from hell.

PGBC

It was -29 this morning around 5am.
I'm on call today 6am till 6pm.
Hasn't been bad so far, only 18 patients images have come in.
I don't mind at all when i can stay home, and the techs do the imaging, then send them to me.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just ventured out in the storm to drive my son to work. Did an hour of plowing when I got back. Did 50kmh in 4x4 the whole way. It's only 10km one way to work. Speed limit is 80km.

20220118_161349.jpg