• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My buddy, Andy, is one of the honchos at the Tacoma Fencing Club. I’ll leave it at that.
Nice.

There are not enough clubs. The sport is still considered an elite sport, which is a shame. More clubs would mean more exposure and more fencers.

My club is primarily a 'recreational' club but we have several competition focused members, generally we support those members by sending giving them a place to get lessons but really they need to be at other, higher level, clubs. Distance is the main problem. The next closest competitive club is a solid 1 hour drive away, and we are lucky because there are several clubs in the area. In other areas it can be a 2 or 3+ hour drive between clubs.

Umberto

Nice.

There are not enough clubs. The sport is still considered an elite sport, which is a shame. More clubs would mean more exposure and more fencers.

My club is primarily a 'recreational' club but we have several competition focused members, generally we support those members by sending giving them a place to get lessons but really they need to be at other, higher level, clubs. Distance is the main problem. The next closest competitive club is a solid 1 hour drive away, and we are lucky because there are several clubs in the area. In other areas it can be a 2 or 3+ hour drive between clubs.
That sounds about like the Tacoma Club. There have been competitions but nothing recent due to the current troubles. They get some really good fencers migrating in from Asia.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Celebrating an amazing girl.

About 8 years ago she came to me to learn how to fence saber. Worst student I ever had, literally lost every bout she fenced her first year, but she loved it. She had the heart of a lion. Eventually became the captain of the high school team and an all conference award winner.

Now she has 171 NCAA collegiate Div 1 wins, was co-captain of the Lawrence University team and competed successfully in several national events, including the Junior Olympics, behind her and she still has 1 more year to go.

She refers to me as her "fencing dad" and I'm proud to accept that title.

View attachment 150058
That's awesome! I'm glad you stayed with her and encouraged her to keep going.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's awesome! I'm glad you stayed with her and encouraged her to keep going.
I have 1 or 2 students per year that I seem to stay in contact with.

Some continue to fence. Some do not. But they tend to come to me for advice, or for some sort of help from time to time so it is nice.

Lexi, the girl above, is from my 2nd year at Lowell high school. Her dad and I became friends through this whole journey too.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I have 1 or 2 students per year that I seem to stay in contact with.

Some continue to fence. Some do not. But they tend to come to me for advice, or for some sort of help from time to time so it is nice.

Lexi, the girl above, is from my 2nd year at Lowell high school. Her dad and I became friends through this whole journey too.
Keep up the good work!!!!

echo

Something Funny to me:

I was going into a market to shop.
Some nice looking gal came out and a swallow was circling her real close.
She acted like it never happened.
Not sure if I want to date her.

Celebrating the fact that the words of two foreign languages both have the noun as feminine with the French adjective attached as such.

Off to my more lucrative work now!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Been of the line for a few days. Contracted something on Wednesday that had me feeling weak. By that I mean i could lift 50 lb roll of film over my head to load the spindle at work. Something I do 8 to 10 times a day so the gals don't have to.

By Thursday I knew the was a problem because I couldn't do one sit up. I usually do thirty every morning and again every nite.

By noon I was a wasted man and took a nap at work. Fever was 104 F. So we stopped at the urgent care for COVID test and a check up. Everything was negative. No COVID, no Flue, No infections found. BP 124/78 Oxygen at 96 heart rate elevated at 84. SO, I shouldn't be sick right? Only I was. Very much so.

My temp went to 2006 F or higher. That's how high the monitor went. Still no clue what it is but this evening temp is down to 2004 And I did 5 sit ups before fatigue. I'm feeling stronger as well. The wife says I am stronger. Although, she might be just referring the body odor.

No idea what hit me or what this episode means in the long run but it was a bit scary. I am hoping things are back to normal come Sunday.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We took Kobe to the Gary Railcats baseball game.

There are 2 local minor league teams in our county, the Corn Dogs and the Railcats.

Corn Dogs play at a park stadium that is nice but doesn't have the 'real stadium' feel to it, so it is pretty much like going to a high school baseball game.

The Railcats play in a real stadium, not quite Wrigley Field in quality but it is a nice stadium, free parking, and despite the fact that it is literally located in downtown Gary, it is safe for family fun. We go to a few games a year and have never even heard of a problem there. Prices are cheap, games are good enough, spectacle is entertaining enough for kids and families. Yesterday was free hat day. It was also corn roast day. $14 for first row, over the dugout, first base line, including the hat. Heck of a value.
073201E0-B95C-4BD7-9E0D-9B16B36FE8E7.jpeg
046293A4-0A00-4E1E-BA16-66D5E0FE97D1.jpeg
45F85680-E662-41A4-9E57-62D08BB28FBE.jpeg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Feeling somewhat better today. Hoping I can put enough energy together to mow the lawn.

Yep, that's the plan for the day

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We took Kobe to the Gary Railcats baseball game.

There are 2 local minor league teams in our county, the Corn Dogs and the Railcats.

Corn Dogs play at a park stadium that is nice but doesn't have the 'real stadium' feel to it, so it is pretty much like going to a high school baseball game.

The Railcats play in a real stadium, not quite Wrigley Field in quality but it is a nice stadium, free parking, and despite the fact that it is literally located in downtown Gary, it is safe for family fun. We go to a few games a year and have never even heard of a problem there. Prices are cheap, games are good enough, spectacle is entertaining enough for kids and families. Yesterday was free hat day. It was also corn roast day. $14 for first row, over the dugout, first base line, including the hat. Heck of a value.View attachment 150326View attachment 150327View attachment 150328
That is one adorable young man

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sooooooooooo I had plans to mow the lawn.

But then came the mandatory COVID test at the Walgreens.

"Mandatory" you asked?

Required by the management actually. Seems I failed the test last week so Crumpy made me study for this one.

Problem is that the trip to the Pharmacy wore me out.

I mean I couldn't pull the rope on the mower if I wanted too.

Whatever this is it ain't COVID. It likely is an intestinal upset/flareup from the Food Poisoning of two weeks ago. It may well be sympathetic as I enjoyed a beefy burger Tuesday night, and my symptoms actually started then

Again;
Do not order the Shepard's Pie from the cheesecake factory.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Back home after a weekend at camp. Finally got the boat in the water and tied to the dock. We couldn't until yesterday as the ice going out this spring all but destroyed 3 of 4 dock sections. The dock section where I tie mine is all floating sections held in place with pipes driven into the ground. The ice ripped those out and tore the complete dock from the shore. They got it back in place and drove new posts into the ground.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Feeling somewhat better today. Hoping I can put enough energy together to mow the lawn.

Yep, that's the plan for the day
One of my kids, Tyler that gave COVID to us, about 4 months ago had COVID symptoms but not nearly as bad and cleared in a week. Same thing as you tested negative several times. Wondering if it can cause symptoms without testing positive.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure if Covid will test NEGATIVE several times. Once, sure. Twice unlikely. More than that and you should buy some LOTTO tickets. I had, what I thought, was Covid a couple times. Each time the tests were Negative. Each time I was sure I had it. But it never lasted long enough. Never tested Positive, ever.

AS FOR TODAY, I babysat Kobe while the lovely Mrs_Bob ran her sister to the hospital emergency room after her sister fell and hurt herself. Nothing broken. But still in pain. So very likely sprained something-or-other. That pretty much filled my day from 8am to 2pm.

After the lovely Mrs_Bob returned home I went out to the west side of the house, where the sun was beating down on me, nary a breeze to cool me, and the humidity was HIGH and I put exterior reflective window film on a patio door and 2 windows. I have more windows to do, but I was glad to get those done. We have 28 windows on the west wall of the house. All have some sort of E-glass and interior film, but a few years back they came out with weatherproof exterior window film, the installation process started today. MY PLAN WAS to get out early this morning and do it. MY S-I-L's fall pretty much destroyed the plan. So I was happy to get 3 of the windows completed. Too hot and sunny out there now. I'll get back to it early in the morning when I can work in the shade. NOT planning to do all 28 of the windows with the exterior film, but if I can get the lower and main levels done that would be a huge help to take pressure of the AC system. The living room has double stacked windows that are 9.5 feet tall, and 40% of the dining room wall is glass so getting those done is a major goal.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have had COVID three times and tested positive for two of them. There were no tests the first time in January of 2020

So far I have tested negative. The last test has not come in.

I don't really care, I'm sick. Really sick. Symptoms are the same as food poisoning. I could not get up from the Tub last night without help. That never happened before in 75 years, even with COVID

Ironman

I have had COVID three times and tested positive for two of them. There were no tests the first time in January of 2020

So far I have tested negative. The last test has not come in.

I don't really care, I'm sick. Really sick. Symptoms are the same as food poisoning. I could not get up from the Tub last night without help. That never happened before in 75 years, even with COVID
Does food poisoning last for days?
Either way I hope you snap out of it. Sounds bad.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Does food poisoning last for days?
Either way I hope you snap out of it. Sounds bad.
Yes. I was sick for five days. But that was over a week ago before this started. My assumption is this may be a second dose of bad food or a rebloom of the E-coli from the first Episode. This is, again, five days.

I do most of the cooking, always from fresh, frozen or canned. Leftovers are mostly banned after a few days and I personally don't eat them after one day.

My work lunch is usually at the same restaurant and it is always vegetarian. Salad and pasta with marinara. Crumpy and Teddy ate at the Chinese place last Friday. I didn't, they brought it to me. I froze it and ate some of it Monday. It tasted fine.

The thing is, it is my gut that is screwed up. Suggesting food poisoning.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Watching the grass grow.

Day 4 of doing sfa as it's been raining on and off all week and when it's colder damp temperatures, I can barely stand for any length of time. Lower back is burning. Loss of feeling and strength in my legs. Oh well.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Just got home from the work cabin, stripped the old roof and put a new one on. The place lived up to its name once again. Ass dragging in the dirt. I will post it in the camp section tomorrow.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Decided to take my son to the races last night. It was originally supposed to be Wednesday but got rained out. Yesterday was almost a rain out again with strong winds and a few scattered thunder storms in the area. But it held off for some great racing. My brother's car is currently out of commission as after two races opening weekend, he popped the heads off the engine and discovered 7 pistons chewed to pieces. Come to find out that he asked a gas jockey to fill a Jerry can with premium for his race car. They gave him regular. Blew a $7000 motor to pieces. Expensive mistake.

20220616_211445.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Packing for the St Louis Crossfires annual float trip. I'm not sure waht river we willb on inthe Ozarls but these are always fun.

This year I refuse to be the freight canoe. Paddling alone with a loaded canoe whilst everyone else plays every year, I put my foot down after last year's debacle. Paddling for 6 hours trying to keep up. It is supposed to be a "float" trip. This year I'm just pushing a one man river boat with a floating cooler of beer on a tether. Everyone seemed to race to the next party stop and then complained that I was so far behind.

It is supposed to be relaxing, not a race to the finish. But then these people are sports car fanatics.

I'm glad I set this up because I am still weak from whatever that was I had last week. I doubt I could handle a loaded canoe for long.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Packing for the St Louis Crossfires annual float trip. I'm not sure waht river we willb on inthe Ozarls but these are always fun.

This year I refuse to be the freight canoe. Paddling alone with a loaded canoe whilst everyone else plays every year, I put my foot down after last year's debacle. Paddling for 6 hours trying to keep up. It is supposed to be a "float" trip. This year I'm just pushing a one man river boat with a floating cooler of beer on a tether. Everyone seemed to race to the next party stop and then complained that I was so far behind.

It is supposed to be relaxing, not a race to the finish. But then these people are sports car fanatics.

I'm glad I set this up because I am still weak from whatever that was I had last week. I doubt I could handle a loaded canoe for long.
Hang in there!! It will get better. Last year I had the Covid and did not go to a doctor. Just took it day by day. For a while I had to walk with a cane. The only thing that hasnt gotten back to normal is my sense of taste. I cant taste any thing. According to the experts I shouldnt have survived because of my age. Well, have a goodun!!!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Hang in there!! It will get better. Last year I had the Covid and did not go to a doctor. Just took it day by day. For a while I had to walk with a cane. The only thing that hasnt gotten back to normal is my sense of taste. I cant taste any thing. According to the experts I shouldnt have survived because of my age. Well, have a goodun!!!!
I had COVID last year, and again this year, as well.

Like you, I survived without a doctor's assistance.

We are much alike. But I suspect I'm better lookin'LOL

Ross 650

Site Supporter
I had COVID last year, and again this year, as well.

Like you, I survived without a doctor's assistance.

We are much alike. But I suspect I'm better lookin'LOL
Yep, you probably got me in the looks dept!!! The only plus to losing my taste ability is that I can eat a hamburger and I can put toilet paper between bread and add mustard and they taste the same!!!!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, you probably got me in the looks dept!!! The only plus to losing my taste ability is that I can eat a hamburger and I can put toilet paper between bread and add mustard and they taste the same!!!!!

LOL!

My wife lost her sense of smell to COVID. She says it is not so bad. The tradeoff is worth it. Because,,,, I am now more tolerable.