• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary yesterday. The lovely Mrs_Bob got a garnet and diamond ring. Then I went outside and did some yard work.

Today is more yard work. But we had a nice walk in the neighborhood earlier with Kobe. He made it about 1/2 a mile before I had to carry him back. Now he is napping.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary yesterday. The lovely Mrs_Bob got a garnet and diamond ring. Then I went outside and did some yard work.

Today is more yard work. But we had a nice walk in the neighborhood earlier with Kobe. He made it about 1/2 a mile before I had to carry him back. Now he is napping.
Congrats!
40 years on Sunday for us. Mother's day too!
Got her a nice gold with diamond lights and a ruby. They say ruby is for 40 years.
Her response will be that I should not waste money on things like rings. We need boats and cars. Seriously, she will.

Attachments

• Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 44

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats!
40 years on Sunday for us. Mother's day too!
Got her a nice gold with diamond lights and a ruby. They say ruby is for 40 years.
Her response will be that I should not waste money on things like rings. We need boats and cars. Seriously, she will.
Garnet is her birthstone, which is why I bought her the garnet. 1.5 karat, emerald cut, natural stone (not color enhanced or manufactured), excellent clarity, no visible inclusions, origin is Mozambique. She thinks it is pretty.

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 10.49.23 PM.png

But wait for Mother's Day ... Melen and I bought the lovely Mrs_Bob a new gas powered Power Washer with a concrete cleaning disc so she can clean our patios. I'm such a romantic.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Garnet is her birthstone, which is why I bought her the garnet. 1.5 karat, emerald cut, natural stone (not color enhanced or manufactured), excellent clarity, no visible inclusions, origin is Mozambique. She thinks it is pretty.

View attachment 149056

But wait for Mother's Day ... Melen and I bought the lovely Mrs_Bob a new gas powered Power Washer with a concrete cleaning disc so she can clean our patios. I'm such a romantic.
Women seem to like the power washers. Apparently.
My wife has three of them.

Our 53rd anniversary is May 10th. All that said, I doubt another Power washer would be appropriate.

Crumpy doesn't like jewelry very much.

Cars, boats and RV Campers she does like. But we have far too many of those.

I usually have something unique and special lined up. However, I'm kinda stumped this year

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Planting corn is still on hold here. This past winter I bought a rather nice looking 12ft wide twin blade Woods Twin Cadet 121 3-point hitch mounted mower in very nice condition, and considering its age it is unbelievably nice, all the paint, shields and decals present. I found out why...... the left hand gear box was in seriously damaged condition. $875 latter and hours of labor it is back in the machine. We were going to lay it down this morning as it is hanging from an over head hoist to ease the job of working on it. In the back of my mind there were lingering issues with the preload on the tapered roller bearings in the vertical shaft bearing quill. There seemed to be no way to adjust that critical setting. Eventually I contacted the dealership who sold it 30 years ago. They e mailed me the 66 page manual for this machine. I just finished up making the shims I need on my metal lathe.
So after lunch I will finish buttoning up this mower with confidence that another $1K of wasted money will not be in the future of this mower, I hope.......

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
How about a set of aftermarket wheels for one of the rollers? She'll sure like that.
I did that on her 2002 limo minivan.

Months later it threw a rod.

So, now she has a brand-new Pacifica, and I don't think new wheels will impress. But thanks for the thought.

Reactions: Doc

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The mower is finished up, the oil/filters are changed in the daughters' rides, and I got a good start on the battery recharger...
I very nearly ran it over the other day in my haste with the front duals on a large tractor. It was connected to the tractor at the time, but from the cab it could not been seen sitting in the seat. It still works fine, but the wheels no longer pointing the same direction...
Another hour or two should fix that.

That is an $800 Solar brand charger. I love that thing. I used to go through the Schumacher $150 units every year or two. This one has served me well for most of a decade. I hope for much more out of it.

carebears

that was nice! happy anniversary!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm leaving shortly for a day trip to Indianapolis for a fencing tournament.

7 of my club members will be joining me there, 1 Foil fencer and 6 Saber fencers. I'll be coaching some of the saber fencers. I'm also a 'recurring guest coach' for the Purdue University team, one of my Purdue Saber fencers and about a half dozen Purdue Foil fencers will also be competing in the event so I'll also be helping to coach some of them.

Betting odds would suggest that my Purdue Saber fencer is the favorite to win the Saber competition. But the real reason I'm going, in addition to supporting 2 of my competitive high school students, is because one of my novice fencers will be at the event, it is her very first event. She is not expected to do well, she started fencing as an adult and loves the sport, wants to get her feet wet in competition and this is a small enough event that it is not going to be overwhelming, so a good first event.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Today I got up at 4:45am to take a tramadol for pain.

Yesterday was the cause of the pain I have today. Left the house at 6:30am to drive to Notre Dame to pack up Dasha, move her into her friend's apartment for a 1 week stay, but then bring 90% of her stuff home. She was supposed to have gotten boxes and pre-packed. Had to be out of the dorm by NOON.

Get to campus a few minutes early only to find that:
  • she was in a panic after realizing how much stuff she had to do
  • terminal procrastinator this kid is
  • she had flat boxes but no packing tape
  • so without tape, she just left the boxes unassembled (flat)

Fortunately yesterday was "late move out day" so there were literally a half dozen girls moving out of the entire dorm and we didn't have to fight for the elevator, didn't have to fight for rolling laundry bins to help us move boxes, etc.

Being an ex-warehousing and shipping guy, I stopped into action, told her i needed ALL the big stuff. The biggest being a futon on an adjustable frame. Of course there was a pile of stuff between that futon and the door. I grabbed one of the big rolling bins, put some smaller things that she had pre-packed and headed down to the parking lot with what I could move ... but leaving her with instructions on clearing a path so we could get that futon out of the room.

I'm sure most parents of college kids have experience some similar catastrophe :bonk:

As with all these stories, it all works out. But damn I am sore. Rheumatoid Arthritis sucks. Killed the pain with some bourbon before bedtime and slept well until about 4am.

I'm smiling in the photo because I had NOT yet realized that I would be unloading the truck at home, alone.

tempImager4oIuu.jpg

tempImagezvtA6B.jpg

tempImageSpRrVw.jpg

Umberto

Yikes!

we had the same situation with my oldest when he graduated Iowa State. After the graduation ceremony we went to his dorm and he hadn’t even begun to pack and his room was a disaster. Luckily my sister in law was there with an empty truck.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Well dang it....

30 acers of this years 900 acer corn crop left to plant and it had to start raining. :bonk:
Two more hours and I would have been finished with corn.

On the plus side, we need the rain for the sub soil moister we don't have.
plant 30 acres in 2 hours?? wtf it took me 2 weeks to mow down 7 acres

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Waiting for Biden to say/do something lucid, and brush his hands of the Ukraine as nothing but foreign military intervention on his part.
Pretty sure your post belongs in the JOKES forum. Sadly. But it is the state of our nation at this point.

This morning I was filling a new raised bed with topsoil. Was stopped by rain, but I also ran out of dirt. I need about 1.5 yards. Had about a yard.

Made gumbo & cornbread for dinner.

Went to the fencing club, just for the social aspect. It was our club saber championship tonight, just sat around with the other old guys mocking the youngsters who can kick our butts 10 different ways.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been busy this week getting things ready for camping this weekend. But this year is twice the work and half the time to do it in. With the late spring, I was only able to open up the fifth wheel last week. Same for our seasonal camp. I brought out the golf carts and untarped the outdoor kitchen and opened the slides. The camp water wasn't on yet so I had to wait until today to drive back to do it. My wife is taking the kids out this weekend while I head out with the boat and fifth wheel for our annual fishing trip where we camp out in the woods in a clay pit and fish for 3 days. I've been going every single year since I was 2. My grandfather took my dad. He took us. Now I take my kids. This year it's my son and I, a friend of mine down the road, and an American buddy from Michigan who's in his 70s and has been coming up every year for 60 years straight.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Annual physical today. A lot of tests.
I studied for weeks

Stood on the scale (after food poisoning) and weighed in at 184Lbs. I am officially tall enough for my weight. BMI of 24.5

Blood test all came back within normal operating parameters.
Hypertension gone, BP of 120 over 74
COPD gone with no medications (Advair) taken for two years.

My doctor, who I have known since he went to medical school, said he envisions the day at 94 years old, I am in a hospital dying of absolutely nothing. He says he will be there, retiring his practice and holding my hand pleading, "Let go franc, just let it go." Except for the annual physicals, he hasn't made a dime off me in all those years.