• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
IMG_3216.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3216.jpg
    IMG_3216.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3216.jpg
    IMG_3216.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 28

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Today was one of those days, When my home was built, someone buried a cast iron valve under the driveway ( main water valve ). The home was built in 1993, so it rusted out and failed. I fixed that, a bit of a pain but done. Then I turned the water back on, no leaks. Buried it back up, good to go. Or so I thought. One at a time all my toilet valves stopped working. On inspection they are plugged with sediment from draining the water from the whole system. I got 2 to work but I think there is one that won't and will need to be replaced. Why is everything so hard.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was invited to be a guest coach at Purdue University for their fencing team.

Spent about 3.5 hours coaching there today. They have 3 levels of fencers there. Newbies who know nothing. Semi-competent fencers who have a little bit of experience and were taught by better fencers. And a few seriously good fencers who have a lot of experience. Currently they have no full time coach.

Most of my time was spent working with new fencers who have virtually no skills. Tried to help get them up to speed. The last hour was spent with some of the advanced fencers helping them learn coaching skills so they can help the beginners.

They want me to come back full time. That is not going to happen. But I will go back and help them on several Sunday afternoons.

I took down 2 of the kids that are going to the Junior Olympics so those kids could get some extra practice. My kids were better than most of the Purdue fencers, but not as good as their best fencers, so it was a good practice for them too.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just discovered that my plans of doing sfa today were just shattered when my wife informed me of a couple issues on her vehicle. The first one was an easy fix. Low antifreeze was causing overheating. The second one was easy to diagnose. Front brakes are shot. So I will be picking up a set of pads this morning and doing that.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Finishing my packing. Finishing sending last minute memos to my 'junior olympians' and their parents. Heading to the airport late this morning.

Flying to Salt Lake City for the Junior Olympics, 6 of 7 of "my" kids who qualified will be attending the event. So I'll be busy coaching starting at 8am tomorrow morning and finishing up at lunchtime on Monday. Monday late afternoon flight to come back home.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sleet, ice and snow coming in here today. I'm considering shutting the plant down at noon. Closed for Friday.

I hate the people losing the income but the job we are currently running requires 7people. All "hands on deck" or we really cannot run it efficiently.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been working feverishly for the past few days finally getting the garage organized. It's been a mess since we moved in in 2019. Part of the organization was building a work bench for all my woodworking tools. Mechanical stuff is now all separate from saws sanders etc. I still have a way to go but it's coming along.

20220218_124243.jpg
20220218_151146.jpg

norscaner

I've been working feverishly for the past few days finally getting the garage organized. It's been a mess since we moved in in 2019. Part of the organization was building a work bench for all my woodworking tools. Mechanical stuff is now all separate from saws sanders etc. I still have a way to go but it's coming along.

View attachment 145354View attachment 145355
Brian experience tell me you may need to add another 10 meters to that bench. You will have that buried in no time.

J.J. McDaniels

Today, my parents would have celebrated their 44th Wedding Anniversary. We lost my mother to a very rare form of cancer five and a half years ago and this is the first time my dad hasn't mentioned what today would have been to me and honestly, I'm glad. I'm sure that he hasn't forgotten it by any means, but he's been through enough. I know the loss of a loved one, friends and others is something we all have to deal with sooner or later, but the fear of loss itself is my biggest fear. I rarely open up to anyone anywhere anymore and I much more than have my reasons, but it is. But if I could have traded places with her a few years ago to spare him some pain at least, I would have. It just wasn't on the table. So, today, I'm just spending the day in reflection.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Working on the bedroom loft. It has been "finished" for years now but, I left a lot of trim and built-in shelving projects undone.
Can't work at Hippie Ridge so we stayed home.
By noon this morning I was bored so.... The boss found something for me to do.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Went and bought a running Caterpillar D7 for the mountain for a really good price.

I have a line on an old cat d7d tractor that has been sitting out in the woods since about the early 80s judging by the tree growth around it where they were logging in the area.
20210715_170112.jpg

Brian experience tell me you may need to add another 10 meters to that bench. You will have that buried in no time.

Lmao. Don't I know it. We have a double attached garage to the house that's full as well as the shop that's 32x40 (I think) and has a loft upstairs that we are slowly filling up with furnishings etc for the kids when they decide to leave the house. The shop is my space. When we moved in in 2019, everything was basically piled in there front to back and slowly emptied to the point where I was finally able to get to all my tools to start organizing and such. About that time, my son bought his first car that needed a bunch more work than we originally planned so it sat in the garage for nearly 11 months as I picked away at it doing most of the required repairs. I finished the car last summer and got it on the road a month before my dad was killed. So now I finally have time to dedicate to getting the shop organized.

J.J. McDaniels

I'm going to lay low and do whatever cleaning is necessary today. It's going to rain here for the next three days, but it's going to be another short work week. I'm thinking about combining Tuesday's schedule with tomorrow and taking it off again. Saves me a little gas and wear and tear.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a line on an old cat d7d tractor that has been sitting out in the woods since about the early 80s judging by the tree growth around it where they were logging in the area. View attachment 145424

Lmao. Don't I know it. We have a double attached garage to the house that's full as well as the shop that's 32x40 (I think) and has a loft upstairs that we are slowly filling up with furnishings etc for the kids when they decide to leave the house. The shop is my space. When we moved in in 2019, everything was basically piled in there front to back and slowly emptied to the point where I was finally able to get to all my tools to start organizing and such. About that time, my son bought his first car that needed a bunch more work than we originally planned so it sat in the garage for nearly 11 months as I picked away at it doing most of the required repairs. I finished the car last summer and got it on the road a month before my dad was killed. So now I finally have time to dedicate to getting the shop organized.
Problem I see with that old cat, is looks like the exhaust is un covered and likely locked up. Hauling it isn't cheap either. At least the guy I got it from let me leave it there until the snow melts on the mountain so I don't have to haul it twice

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Today, I made a dump run and measured up what wood I will need to rebuild my front porch railing. Dry rot got to it and it decided to start falling apart this winter,