• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Official snow total for Cedar Lake, IN the small town 7 miles to my northeast, was 11.5". It is the closest location to me that was shown with a snow total on the local news station.

We are getting very light flurries today that should end early. I don't expect the need to go back out and do too much shoveling today.

Schools are closed. Most businesses have re-opened. Several rural counties are asking people stay home and off the roads as blowing and drifting snow is making roads impassible.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Official snow total for Cedar Lake, IN the small town 7 miles to my northeast, was 11.5". It is the closest location to me that was shown with a snow total on the local news station.

We are getting very light flurries today that should end early. I don't expect the need to go back out and do too much shoveling today.

Schools are closed. Most businesses have re-opened. Several rural counties are asking people stay home and off the roads as blowing and drifting snow is making roads impassible.
It's over.
Thank God.

20220203_173928.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We are still dealing with 'blowing and drifting' but that is mainly from the 2nd wave of snow that hit us. The 2nd wave came off Lake Michigan and was much drier and lighter snow.

My neighbor to the north's son drove his 2wd pick up off the driveway and got it stuck in the snow. Rear wheels were in the grass, the front on the asphalt drive. But blocking the driveway. My wife was driving by and saw him out there shoveling (it is a 100+' long driveway) and he is in his 60's. He needed to get to work. She called me and told me to bring out the tractor. Drove over and cleared his driveway, hooked up a tow strap and pulled the kid's truck back onto the driveway. He owe's me a beer.

They hired a skid steer guy to clear their drive after the 1st wave of snow, it was the 2nd wave that cause the problems. He sits on top of a hill about a 1/5th of mile north of me, no trees, the wind comes around his house and the drifts fill his driveway when we have powder type snow.

J.J. McDaniels

Good grief, that's A LOT of snow. I'm up early again out of habit. My built-in alarm clock went off after the 3:30 mark. At least I'm off today but it's still way too early. The rest of the house is still asleep. Lucky them.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Finally shoveled some snow. We got about 12 " here altogether. But with four cars in the drive most of it was between them.
No way I was using the blower around Crumpy's new Pacifica. So, I did it old fashioned. With a coal shovel.

I find an aluminum or plastic coal shovel works best over the commercial designs. More control and more volume in every stroke.
And they actually last from season to season.

The Birds have eaten everything I put out Wednesday. Six feeders are about 10 lbs of seed. Normally that last a week. We must be the only fortified feeders in the area. Never have we seen so many. That or we have the best eatery in town.:clap:

They eat well, sing and chirp. Some take baths in the heated pond water. Happy customers??? One would think so. One would think they appreciated the service, the atmosphere, and fine food.
But their tips are crap. :ermm: :(

Same with the squirrels.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Humor and Clean Jokes

It got down to 19 deg. F this morning in Austin, TX.....

el_arroyo1_37355206e68af98d81a4483032cd1f848ea82a49.jpg

My thermometer said 16 % F this morning. Saturday is supposed to be colder. Like below Zero.

Gary O'

Tomorrow;

Begin the framework for an armoire (never done one before)
Well now

Yesterday I commenced on the armoire
Basically, a big box

Ended the day with working on the door
All was going so well
Working to the beat of the stereo (House of the Rising Son)
Smooth sawing
Sweet screwing
Too good
Stopped to prefit the hinges
Wrong screw placement

hinge 2.jpg

Fixed that

hinges 3.jpg

door.jpg

Stood the doors on the front of the big box
Not unhappy....yet

doors ready to hang.jpg

Today, all is well
May even turn up the stereo.....
What else can go wrong

Maybe I'll play something a bit slower

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
40 Degrees F outside. So, I decided to shovel some snow.
It's wet and heavy now but at least it stays where you put it.

Bright sunshine has the greenhouse up to 85% F. So, the heaters go off and the blower into the house goes on.
Furnace gets a break until about midnight tonite.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
After that snow storm, I put in a lot of hellish hours at work doing OT to cover for nurses who couldn't make it in.
I've felt like a zombie walking around for the past two days.
Aside from that, I've been talking to my son Ty who after all this time tested positive for covid, so did my granddaughter Maddie.
His lady love Felicia and the other grandie Elaina are just fine.
That said, he told me "it feels like a damn cold, Mother".
I did face time and made a phone call to check on them.
I'm not worried.
Gave my advice and will monitor them best I can.
Still have some on the covid ward at work, 5 residents.
You wouldn't even know.
I think our days of worrying about the damn virus are coming to an end.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I tore into the garage again last night. My two-car garage has only held one car in its entire 45 year existence.

My 57 T-Bird.

I do far to much rehabbing and needed the space for materials.

Years ago, I did T&G oak flooring throughout the main floor of the house. As I planned to add a room, I bought enough to do it as well. I've been storing the excess for about 30 years. Neglected, behind paint cans and other "stuff," I assumed it would be fine when I finally got around to using it. WRONG!

Although the top cartons looked fine everything else was damaged by termites. The problem is this was prefinished, varnished, planks that would exactly match what I had. I doubt I will find it again because today everything is poly urethane finish. Bummer!

Tonite, I will be sorting and counting the material still in a usable condition. The bugs mostly ate at the bottom side of the planks, leaving the finished side intact but dirty. It is possible I could still have enough material to get the task completed. Hopefully, this is just one more time consuming "problem" in getting the room addition done.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It was warm enough today to exercise my limbs at Oakwood park.
After I cleaned my apartment to my OCD level of satisfaction.
The kids tested negative for covid.
I'm not surprised.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I got home from work early today. About 4:30 PM with plans to power wash the oak flooring in hopes that some could be salvaged. It was a balmy 45 %F outside.

Out of 40 pieces of 2 1/2 "prefinished quarter sawn oak T&G, I was able to save 26 pieces. I have 25 pieces that had no damage as they were stored elsewhere. That's 51 pieces at 21/2" by 8 feet. That's 127.50"long X 96.0" wide

These are 96" pieces of flooring with each piece being made up of 4 to 6 smaller pieces different random lengths glued together. It makes for a nice straight board that will not warp over the 8 feet of length. I need enough to make an 8 X 8-foot square to tie in and match the original floor plus an 8 foot by 3 foot step to the lower level.

I have just enough material to do that.

We are not getting to this project until summer however, I needed to know I had this irreplaceable oak flooring on hand.

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I decided to take a drive out to camp with a buddy this morning to check on things. All is well. When I got back, I headed up a ladder onto the roof to remove snow around our two skylights. I'm not a fan of them. Who ever thought that a skylight window was a good idea up in Canada? I managed to clear about half of one side of the house of 2 feet of snow.

20220210_101018.jpg
20220210_123923.jpg

J.J. McDaniels

I had a super short work day today and came home to cook afterwards. Slow cooker ‘Crack’ Chicken - which consists of boneless chicken breasts, Ranch seasoning mix, and Creme cheese with bacon, cheddar cheese and green onions as a garnish. But at the moment, it strongly resembles Chicken Alfredo.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
So I have been working on screwing in studs on the van tracks, last year the road at the cabin was solid ice. Almost didn't make the steepest hill, sliding all over, even slid back a time or two. That has a pucker factor on a mountain road with a vertical cliff on one side. I have doing an hour here hour there for several months. Today put in 3 hours and finished them. There are less than 100 screws left out of 1000. Not something you want to do in a hurry. Did all of them by hand with a nut driver.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent time cleaning the area where the termites attacked my stored Oak flooring.
Poured termite killer down the crack where the floor meets the foundation. Turned a lot of useless clutter into trash. Stuff I have saved because I just might use it in the future. Now headed to the landfill.

Moved the new freezer into place next to the beer frig. The outdoor kitchen project will be rooted there. Need to cut the wall and set a door to the beer garden patio outside the garage. Smoker grill is already there. It's a two-weekend project I'll start when the weather breaks.

Now to tackle that part of the garage we are turning into a butler's pantry. First, I have to clear it of "useless clutter."

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Skipping the Super Bowl.

Driving south to Purdue University to be the guest coach for their fencing team.

I'm also bringing 2 of my student fencers with me, they are just going down to get more practice with unfamiliar fencers. Its always good to do bouts with people you don't know because you have to learn to adapt to new styles, face people of different ages, speeds, heights, etc.