• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

weather alert units

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
does anyone here regularly employ one of these? i had a small midland unit years back that i would use all the time as i have on and off been a recreational storm chaser. i lost it in the move somehow and am looking to getting another one. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Midland-WR-100B-WR100B-Weather-Radio/dp/B0001OHH0Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271796022&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Midland WR100B Weather Radio: Electronics[/ame]

this was such a good performer, does anyone else have one? just curious to see what units other folks use. also, if you dont have one i would definatley reccomend getting one, as they can save your ass. most get alerts 5-10 minutes before the TV stations do. its a damn good precaution especially if you live in a bad area, i.e. tornado alley, ect.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll have to look at the details but the one I like is a portable unit that sits in a charger. It's about the size of a FRS radio. Reception really sucks where I live but I do get a signal on one of the primary (7?) channels.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
i have a handheld unit. its more of a walkietalkie, but it has weather band. but it doesnt have the alert function, which is the main point i like to have one lol.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I have one in the bedroom and another in the basement where we go if something happens. They're not the fancy hand held types, both are 120v with battery back-up. There is also another radio with a weatherband that is battery powered with a hand crank generator to charge it. I think all of them came from Radio Shack.

I wouldn't be without them. A few years ago we had a tornado pass over the house just after midnight and touch down about 5 miles away. My wife was cuddled up in the den with a sick dog and I was in bed. It got both of our attention. No, it scared the hell out of both of us. By the time you realize what is going on, it's too damned late. I swore that I'd never be caught like that again, late at night with the TV and radio both off and no way of receiving a warning. I bought two of the radios next day.

WVBill

We have a First Alert WX-150 with the SAME Alert function.

Where we live, there are no tornado alert or such sirens (not really "Tornado Country") and the regular broadcast radio and TV don't focus on our area so our Weather Alert radio gives great peace of mind.

SShepherd

LOL...I literally live about 500yrds from the fire dept. ( but for them to drive here it would be 5 miles)
When they set off the tornado warning you would think it's armegeddon:hide: