• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

*Warning* gripe post - Hate "Bait and Switch"!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I posted a "warning" so if you don't want to hear a mini rant (I'm not really that pissed, but it does piss me off), don't read further.

Anyway, did anyone get one of the Home Depot $28 Ridgid workshop vacs? They are on the front page of their ad. I don't get up at 4am to shop. I may as well tell you that now. I don't stand in line waiting for a store to open either.

So, my wife and I walked in Home Depot at around 8am this morning. The parking lot was about 90% empty. Wow, that seemed weird. I found out why when I walked in. As I got a cart and grabbed one of their ads one of their employees politely asked if they could help me. I replied "Yes, thanks, where are the advertised Ridgid workshop vacs?"

You would though I told a funny joke. Several associates laughed and laughed. "We sold both of them to the first two people in the store", more laughing. I asked about a couple other things on the front page and got the same reply. No wonder the parking lot was empty! I turned to walk out and my wife went to put the cart back and I told her to leave it. With Home Depot's bait and switch tactics I figure they'd spend the rest of the day putting carts back from about 30' inside the front door as everyone realizes what Home Depot has done. :hammer:

Oh, if you want that vacuum, you can get it on their website for $79 plus shipping. :yum:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Dont feel bad dargo , they sure as hell aint the only ones . My Local attwoods Pulled the same thing on a 7 foot disc they had on a flyer I got in the mail wensday . I hired a guy to go pick one up for me & he said they told him they haven,t had any for over a month . I didn,t get no damn disc & still out 75 bucks :ermm:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Dont feel bad dargo , they sure as hell aint the only ones . My Local attwoods Pulled the same thing on a 7 foot disc they had on a flyer I got in the mail wensday . I hired a guy to go pick one up for me & he said they told him they haven,t had any for over a month . I didn,t get no damn disc & still out 75 bucks :ermm:

Maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sears lose a huge "bait and switch" lawsuit several years ago? It sounds like it's time for a few more merchants to learn the same lesson.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sears lose a huge "bait and switch" lawsuit several years ago? It sounds like it's time for a few more merchants to learn the same lesson.

I think I remember hearing about Sears awhile back & I can understand them running out of something , But only carrying a few , or worse yet not even having the damn things & still advertising damn sure otta be against the law . He even tried to get a raincheck & they told him they wernt reordering untill spring . :hammer:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I went to a local store at 6:15 am to get some ammo sales and some of the stuff they had was already almost gone. I think low inventory can be expected this year.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They get around a lot of it with word games. I left the first TSC we went to and drove down to one in Pa. to get rubber stall mats and dog food. If I would not have been saving $80 it would not have been worth the wait in line. Folks are crazy when shopping today. Wife wanted to stop a few other stores and I said no way. The TSC in Pa. was a lot better than the brand new one in Corning. They had a scout troop selling food and the kids loaded your stuff for you. I donated a few bucks just to have them wrestle those mats.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
The only thing I bought today was a special on bulk ammo from Bud's which is in their Safe and Surplus store that I thought they move out of. At any rate got an email that they had 1000 rounds of American Eagle ammo for a very good price so showed up when they opened their doors at 9 AM. Also got 2 Remington Thermos bottles as well as the ammo. Now my range ammo should be covered for about a month or so. At any rate I have all my Christmas shopping done usually well before Thanksgiving so I don't deal much with Black Friday nonsense as I've seen the bait and switch tactics before.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
At any rate I have all my Christmas shopping done usually well before Thanksgiving so I don't deal much with Black Friday nonsense as I've seen the bait and switch tactics before.

No poking, no joking, you're my hero on this issue. I always seem too busy to shop before now and it's about time this bait and switch crap bites some store in the rear to slow it down. I expect is most years for the top items. It seems that most items listed on their ad for today are items that are not available and the stores just wanted to do anything they could to get you in their store; even lie. Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over it, but it isn't right.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
The same thing happens at car dealerships for nearly every printed add. Haven't you ever seen the "price leader" advertised? The dealer has one or maybe two for the listed price. When they're gone, they're gone.

This is no different. I'll bet the add said somewhere words to the effect "...while supplies last, no rain checks..." That will leave them off the hook, and you can go home and be pissed.

Doesn't make it right, but it sure makes it legal.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I have to agree and since no need to wait for bargains as they come up through out the year. My wife and I buy year round for Christmas, especially with the size of my family. This time of year we are stocking up of food as they all seem to depend on us for their holiday meals too, man what happen to woman that like to cook?

Well with 3 grown kids all married with 17 grand kids and 4 great grand kids our Christmas cost would be astronomical if not spread over the whole year. Never mind the in laws or what we spend on ourselves through the course of a year just for junk we really don't need. :smile:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Best Buy is always known for this tactic at least in my experience.

As for Home Depot they can post all they want I wont go back in one again.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
I hate the bait and switch as much as the next guy, but isn't this an accepted advertising practice that has gone on forever? I'll give ya it's supposed to be illegal, but it is as common as finding pennies in the parking lot.:hammer:

k-dog

My wife bought one of those shop vacs from Home Depot today as a gift for her brother. She got there around 8:30 am and she said they still had 15 or 20 left after she got hers. This was in the Hagerstown, MD store. That is one of the better and more helpful Home Depots that I have been in though.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
lol i hate best buy they do the same thing!

LOL, I have refused to go into one of their stores for years due to bait and switch. I have called them "Best Lie" for so long that it just comes out that way for me naturally now.

Trakternut

LOL, I have refused to go into one of their stores for years due to bait and switch. I have called them "Best Lie" for so long that it just comes out that way for me naturally now.

We went to the Best Lie/Buy store in Fargo, N.D. to get a laptop for my wife. The guy who sold it said it would be at the service desk in a couple hours as they had to load all the stuff on it before we left. Okay, fine. We went to eat and took our sweet time. We returned to find that it hadn't been set up yet as we had to pay for the laptop first before they'd do the setup!!!! :hammer:

Damned fool sales feller didn't tell us that! :pat:.
So, we left with no laptop. 200 miles and 6 friggin' hours down the tubes! :glare:

kitty

LOL! When my husband and I were going to Rochester we drove past a sign that said Worst Buy and on the other side Best buy screwed me over or something along that line I thought it was funny!

ncroamer65

I'm in agreement with the posts about being baited to get you there.
Read the add CAREFULLY. If you get the add early enough call and ask "How many".
One experence for me "BassPro" several years ago ran an add on a product that I wanted very much. So I ask and was told they had over a hundred
of them. I did get it along with about 75+ people. The item Ruger 10/22
Rifle @ $150. :wow:

ncroamer65

It came with a wood stock, switched to synthic, may switch back one day.
Not tring to OT this thread, my point was check with the store as to qunaity of for sale item(s). For myself as I've gotten older I read the
add and use a magifiying glass to read the fine print.

Jev if your interested in what I've with my rifle please pm me.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Picked up a lockset for my Amish neighbor at home depot this morning. When I picked it up they were clearly marked for $9.97. I needed some screws and electric boxes so I gathered up my stuff and checked out. When I went by his place to drop it off I saw they had charged $12.97 for it. Took 2 calls to get a manager on duty but she walked to the aisle and looked and said they had stocked the wrong item in that space. Told me her name and said bring the receipt next time I am in and they will refund $3.24 to me. That is the first positive experience I have had with them in quite a while. We are limited for places to buy certain items around here or I would not even go there.