• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

VMC Pics From Today

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We were out and about checking and testing out the diesel hydrostatic VMC today. It is running very good, handles well, has a vey quiet interior and is a fast high speed cat in the right snow conditions. Below are a couple pics prior to discovering another flat tire caused by poor prior owner maintenance practices. I am beginning to like this snow cat better with each outing.
P2160004.JPG

P2160020.JPG

nutsster

I would like to know your thoughts about the VMC after you put it through some tests, like climbing and deep snow. :letitsnow:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
nutsster said:
I would like to know your thoughts about the VMC after you put it through some tests, like climbing and deep snow. :letitsnow:

And I would like to go along when you do !!!:coolshade I do have beer money ??????:alc: :beer: :1062:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
nutsster said:

I am still waiting for "mother nature" to cooperate with some decent snow. The lowlands highways are closed again today with wind and snow. We got about 1 inch of snow and 40+ mph winds again. What snow we have is all in piles/drifts and cement hard as you can see by the pics. :eek:

nutsster, You need to remember not all snow cat needs are for the steep and deep. This cat is a nice smooth daily driver if the diesel engine is up to the tasks and starts. Time will tell just how well it works out for our requirements of a commuter. We will get some spring big snows to give it a good test and if we don't we better pray for a lot rain this spring/summer. :letitsnow: :snow2_smi:
Bill

Steep and Deep = Aktiv TracMaster or *LMC 1200
Comfort, Speed, and Great Handling = VMC RT-01
Sporty, Economy, Easy to Drive and Great Manueveabilty = BR100+

* All around cat that can do it all very well and still my favorite :thumb:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
Steep and Deep = Aktiv TracMaster or *LMC 1200
Comfort, Speed, and Great Handling = VMC RT-01
Sporty, Economy, Easy to Drive and Great Manueveabilty = BR100+
Bill, you forgot:
Corn & Bean fields = Aktiv Snow Trac :17875:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I can tell you that unit was not the one we had at our station (unless for some reason they switched all the tires out). Are tires were foam filled and we didnt have the blade pads as seen in your pictures above. I hated when I had to go and use one of the other cats since most of those yahoos did nothing they were supposed to or should have. Like check tire pressure ect ect. They just relied on the once a year going over in Reno NV. But they hardly used there cats much too. Ours (Ely) and the Reno cats were used the most.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Are tires were foam filled and we didnt have the blade pads as seen in your pictures above.

I put the pads on to keep from biting too deep when using the blade. The tires are not foam filled and the tracks on this cat were brand new belts and HD cleats when I bought it. The chalk marking on the belts are still readable. From what I heard all three cats had the lighter duty cleats originally. I wish I would of known which was yours when I purchased it and I may of saved a lot of labor on rebuild/repair. It is working well now after spending many hours checking and fixing the little bugs.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
We had the light duty grousers which were a pain in the arse. We replaced grousers just about every trip. They were just to flimsy in my opinion. We (I) greased every wheel bearings and all zirks after every trip. The heavy maintenace (like oil changes ect ect) were done in Reno. They wouldnt let us do that. Glad to see she has a good home now.

nutsster

mtntopper, I understand that snow cats have been designed for different applications and capabilities. I have read several claims about the great performance of the VMC, but have heard otherwise. We were seriously looking at becoming a VMC dealer for our area. However, with PistonBully purchasing Lite-Foot and gearing up to build them in Reno, we have become less interested in setting up a dealership and have to compete against the PB Scout. :smileywac

I have been looking at the VMC to purchase for myself, but would like to know how it would handle our deep soft snow that we get in Utah. A good friend of mine has a very nice "81 Tucker that seems to struggle a lot when it goes off the road. He was unable to get up his driveway in a few feet of fresh snow. (something my IMP 1402 had no problem with at all) Yet, you always hear how great they are in deep snow too. I would never expect a small cat like the IMP or VMC to climb steep terrain like the Spryte 1200. :letitsnow:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
nutsster,
Here is my take so far. My VMC is an older unit and has the 570-8 tires and wheels which limits the under body clearance. Newer VMCs have taller wheels and tires which may help. With the smaller wheels this cat is awesome on hard packed side hills. It has a low center of gravity which makes it work very well. It does have some serious higher speed capabilities that my 1200 lacks for commuting. No, it probably will not go through 3 foot of fresh snow as easy as the 1200. But for everyday use and commuting it does a great job with a many comforts that my other snow cats lack.

It will not and was not designed to climb over the 3 foot tall tree root balls, 2+ foot diameter fallen trees and fairly large rock boulders that I did Sunday evening with the 1200 LMC. Now that was impressive, but a little hard on the cat as we went boon docking up a creek bottom and had to rearrange the landscape here and there to complete our trip. I am sure there never has been a snow cat up that creek before. I forgot the paddle.....:yum: The wife said your not going up there, are you?? :eek: The Spryte, DMC and LMC 1200 are pretty tough and have some of the best capabilities of any brake steer snow cat ever manufactured.

I would some day like to see how the Litefoot/PB Scout work. I will have to wait for a good used one to be sold as I can not see paying 80K+ for a new snow cat when the value on new snow cats drop 50% in a few years.

Donald McMullin

Nutsster, what type of tracks did you friend's Tucker have?? I am a novice, but with even limited experience around steel track Tucker's I am surprised your friend was having trouble in the powder.

Your take on why he was having trouble would be appreciated.

Regards,
Donald McMullin

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Donald,
I am posting some pics of two different Tucker snow cats The model numbers for Tucker designate several different configurations including length of tracks. Note the 4 roller short track (1342) versus the 6 roller longer track (1642) on these two tuckers. This may account for the problems encountered by the Tucker in nutsster's as it may of been only a 4 roller short track Tucker snow cat.
Bill

1977 Tucker 1642.jpg

1985 Tucker 1342.jpg

Donald McMullin

Thank you for the input. I was concerned about the comments regarding the deep powder performance of a Tucker. I have seen a couple of pontoon versions working up here in SW Colorado and was impressed.

I am currently looking at a Tucker with the 84" x 28" wide pontoons. It has the conventional crossbars with the center links, but no side "Ice" links.

This Forum has provided me with a lot of information.

Donald McMullin

Vance

I'll add another Tucker here.

This is my 1971 1342 and happens to have 5 wheels. This was either an early 1342 or a 442 that had the 1300 conversion. Although this one has 5 it is true that most of the 1300 series that I have seen had 4.

I'll also add that this one has the earlier 24" tracks with 2 belts vs. the 28" with 4 belts.

Vance

Attachments

• 1971 Tucker 1342.JPG
    1971 Tucker 1342.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 696

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
As far as real deep powder capability the VMCs did pretty well until they installed that 700 lbs Roll Over Protection device around the cab. Still they worked pretty good up here in Ely and around. The biggest asset was the front blade. We could cut a path on a wind blown snow drift on the side of the mountain. I never liked crabbing the VMCs they just didnt feel right. Take the rop of and the front blade and they would be a good powder cat. Not as good as a Snow Master though!

Donald McMullin

Vance, interesting convertable crew cab. Thanks for the picture. Do you have any comment about your belted track performance in powder??

Deep Enough
Donald McMullin

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I would like to get a Tucker with the wide tracks (1642). I think they just look cool. I would also like to get a 601 Thiokol and a wide track Thiokol but not sure which one yet. BUT not until I finish what I have now. I think a Tucker 1642 will be next on my want list.

Vance

Don,

I'm not sure what you mean by convertible crew cab? It is what I would call pickup/flatbed style. The cab is 2 man with the gas tank and a shelf behind the crew. The roof is fiberglass with a vent.

I haven't got the cat out in the powder yet - maybe this weekend tho. This machine is lighter than the newer ones with a smaller cab and 1/2 ton running gear. I'm hoping that once I remove the blade and lighten the heavy duty flatbed that with the longish tracks it'll do pretty well in the powder... At least I hope so.

Luckily it doesn't look like the pic above now. I've cleaned it up a bit and will take some more pix this weekend.

Vance

P.S. Sorry to but in on the VMC discussion...

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Weight is the biggest killer of any snowcat. Of course you all know that. Wide long tracks and light weight are the combo for real deep powder! I am going to start a new thread on whats the best Deep POWDER snowcat that is still towable.

Vance

Snowcat Operations said:
Weight is the biggest killer of any snowcat. Of course you all know that. Wide long tracks and light weight are the combo for real deep powder! I am going to start a new thread on whats the best Deep POWDER snowcat that is still towable.

I think that you have already answered that yourself.... SnowMaster....

Vance

P.S. To answer the question above, there are a few pics here. More next week.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=7245&highlight=xmas
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=6775&highlight=1342

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yah well they are pretty damn good thats for sure but NUTTSER has one hell of a Deep Powder cat in my opinion. And he built his pretty much. I am just trying to get everyones opinion.

Z1TURBOCAT

Site Supporter
I am considering a VMC rt01 for commuting 11 mile to my place at 10,000 her in Colorado and am wondering what you're opinion is. How do yo think it will do pushing thru the4-5 ft sugar snow drifts I have to go thru here? I will be driving on unplowed dirt roads haw do the grousers hold up? I've heard that there were some issues with acceleration and power on the VW powered units, any comments. I currently have a Tucker 1542 but it needs a ton of work and I think the VMC would be easier to get in and out of as I get older. any other incite you can pass on would be appreciated.

Salinger

I am considering a VMC rt01 for commuting 11 mile to my place at 10,000 her in Colorado and am wondering what you're opinion is. How do yo think it will do pushing thru the4-5 ft sugar snow drifts I have to go thru here? I will be driving on unplowed dirt roads haw do the grousers hold up? I've heard that there were some issues with acceleration and power on the VW powered units, any comments. I currently have a Tucker 1542 but it needs a ton of work and I think the VMC would be easier to get in and out of as I get older. any other incite you can pass on would be appreciated.
Finally, what is the follow-up? Did you buy the VMC? I got one and I had to replace both rear sprockets (had only 300hrs on it). In general, I’m really glad to own and run it!