• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Vintage Cocktails? Anyone ever dig up antique cocktail recipes?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Several months ago (last summer!) I was shopping at the supermarket and they had FERNET-BRANCA on sale, apparently being discontinued. I wasn't sure what to do with it but grabbed a bottle on impulse. It has been sitting unopened. Looked up some recipes tonight. So here we go:

TORONTO COCKTAIL

Dating back to 1922 the TORONTO is a riff on the OLD FASHIONED but, to my taste buds is more of a riff on the BOULEVARDIER than an OLD FASHIONED. Others suggest it is a spin off of a MANHATTAN.

Fernet-Branca is a seriously bitter liquor, that is also high in alcohol, somewhat similar to, but different than Campari.

A Boulevardier is Whiskey, Campari (bitter) and red Vermouth (sweet). The Toronto is primarily the same thing, but uses different ingredients . . . Whiskey, Fernet-Branca (bitter) and Simple Syrup (sweet) plus a dash of Bitters. An Old Fashioned is Whiskey, Simple Syrup and a dash of Bitters.
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 ounces whiskey
  • ¼ oz Fernet-Branca
  • ¼ oz simple syrup
  • 2 dashes bitters
If you like bitter-sweet cocktails like the Boulevardier then this may be one for you to try. I personally like it. I'll likely have it again. And again. But then again, I like the Boulevardier. I would say the Fernet-Branca is more of an astringent bitter flavor while the Campari is more of a syrupy smooth bitter liquor. So perhaps the Boulevardier is more of a sultry drink while the Toronto is a bit more of a shock to the tongue.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tonight was a RUSTY NAIL

Not pre-Prohibition, but dates back to 1937. And not really popular until Dean Martin, Frank Sanatra, Sammy Davis Jr and the Rat Pack embraced it a few decades later. I’m enjoying it.

It’s a lush and savory drink with a bit of annis flavor. No scotch in my home so I’ve tried bourbon and rye. Both seem fine as substitutes for Scotch.

1/2 oz Drambuie
2 oz Scotch Whisky
Dash of bitters, I’ve been using Angustora but I want to try it with Peyscheaud’s bitter next.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, that's a blast from the past. I haven't had a Rusty Nail for decades. It used to be one of my favorite cocktails. Being Scottish, you know that there is always Scotch and Drambuie in my house. I may just have to try one tomorrow night.

Umberto

I used to be partial to Vodka Gimlets and haven’t had one in decades.

I’ll get a bottle of Drambuie next trip to the bird store.