• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Urgent: LMC 1500 leaking antifreeze? Yellow fluid

josh312

After driving my LMC 1500 pretty hard this morning, I noticed it started getting very hot. I was going through 6-7 feet of fresh snow. Then I noticed there was a lot of yellow fluid coming from underneath the front. Right under the headlights. Was coming at a pretty fast pace.
Any tips/ideas? I turned off the cat and now I’m just sitting here in the middle of a trail in North Tahoe. If anyone is nearby would love any help! 919-906-6637

josh312

Nothing out of the ordinary here?

Attachments

• 2E17DC66-540A-4BAA-A147-8AFD49F8FE00.jpeg
    2E17DC66-540A-4BAA-A147-8AFD49F8FE00.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
You can add water to the radiator if you need to limp back to the trailhead, but only do that if you can flush it out before it freezes.

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Carefully open the radiator cap with a rag or glove and see how much fluid you lost.

Drifli

Obviously you have a issue. Get back to a road and figure out what’s going on. Could be the heater core leaking but, any leak on a snow cat is trouble.

josh312

Any chance I can keep it running it during winter as long as I keep the fluid topped off, and carefully monitor the temperature? Just don’t want to get stranded. But I can really get a mechanic up here.

Drifli

Any chance I can keep it running it during winter as long as I keep the fluid topped off, and carefully monitor the temperature? Just don’t want to get stranded. But I can really get a mechanic up here.
I wouldn’t risk it. You need to at least locate where it’s leaking from. This could be an easy fix like a lose hose. Find someone who can pressurize your radiator and track down the leak. Shouldn’t be hard to track it down.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
"I was going through 6-7 feet of fresh snow."
I am think you may of stuffed the cooling vents in front of the radiator full of snow blocking all air movement through the radiator. Then you over heated engine and either popped the radiator cap to relieve pressure or you have a radiator overflow tank that filled and let coolant out to relieve the pressure. If this is the case your engine temp gauge should of alerted you or it maybe defective. Hopefully you did not damage the engine.

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have a blade on the machine? If so the blade’s push frame probably would have blocked the snow from contacting the radiator grill. But if not I think @mtntopper has a good analysis.

zspryte

Site Supporter
If what Mtntopper and sheep_mtn described didn't happen to you, which sounds really likely it did, next time you add radiator fluid add some florescent coolant dye. A kit with glasses, light and dye is pretty cheap. This will help you find the leak.

Since it only took 2 liters to refill it you might have lucked out. As long as there was enough fluid in the radiator bottom's portion, the water pump still had fluid to push into the engine block to cool it. The radiator wouldn't have been totally efficient, but it still would have done some if its job.

While not viable for long trips, you can avoid the issue Mtntopper and sheep_mtn described by driving backwards. Your not pushing snow against the radiator and in really deep light powder (5+ feet) some cats, like Sprytes, steer better in that direction. After major dumps I pack the approach to my cabin this way.

josh312

Thanks so much everyone. Really appreciate all of the advice this community offers up. I think what mtntopper said is prob pretty accurate. My radiator cap never came off, but maybe I have some sort of radiator overflow to relieve the pressure.

We filled it up with 2L of water, then drove the rest of the way to the cabin and let it all cool off. Then checked the fluid level again. It took another 2L of water to fill it back up.

at that point I checked all the clamp screws on the hose, and noticed one of them was a little loose (and very wet). I tightened that one down and I’m praying that will fix it. But will see if I lose any fluid the next time I drive. It’s a little under a mile each way to the cabin.

josh312

Pics of digging the snowcat out. And driving to the cabin. This was before we noticed the leak/overheating temp gauge. The temp gauge was def showing it was too hot I just didn’t notice right away

Attachments

• 343B7488-9D27-48E0-A856-43AE7E8D52A3.jpeg
    343B7488-9D27-48E0-A856-43AE7E8D52A3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • E00EE70C-AD25-481F-A7B4-90F599479855.jpeg
    E00EE70C-AD25-481F-A7B4-90F599479855.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1946.MOV
    5.5 MB

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Pics of digging the snowcat out. And driving to the cabin. This was before we noticed the leak/overheating temp gauge. The temp gauge was def showing it was too hot I just didn’t notice right away
That’s an impressive snowpack. Quite a storm cycle for the Sierras. I don’t want to sound judgmental, but based on the video (which was cool!) it seems like the machine may have been pushing it pretty hard. It’s challenging not to push it sometimes as conditions dictate, but it may have been a factor in the overheating. Coastal snow is dense and takes a lot of work for shovelers and snowcats alike.

Last edited:

josh312

Yep makes sense. Was definitely pushing it a bit too hard
That’s an impressive snowpack. Quite a storm cycle for the Sierras. I don’t want to sound judgmental, but based on the video (which was cool!) it seems like the machine may have been pushing it pretty hard. It’s challenging not to push it sometimes as conditions dictate, but it may have been a factor in the overheating. Coastal snow is dense and takes a lot of work for shovelers and snowcats alike.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Definitely get some antifreeze in there sooner than later. With 4 liters added to an unknown concentration that was already in the system, there is no telling what your protection level is now. Better to drain & refill than to start popping freeze plugs.

josh312

Definitely get some antifreeze in there sooner than later. With 4 liters added to an unknown concentration that was already in the system, there is no telling what your protection level is now. Better to drain & refill than to start popping freeze plugs.
Good point yeah. Does anyone have any handy tutorials on how to drain the coolant? Thanks!

PJL

It's tough to make a solid diagnosis over the internet, but it does look like reduced airflow into the radiator and an engine being worked very hard led to overheating and the radiator cap released the pressure. Probably does not have a coolant recovery bottle so it just spit out of the top of the radiator. Should be a little nipple in the neck right below the radiator cap. There might be a small hose attached to it. Might also be as simple as a bad cap not holding pressure. Check for a rubber gasket on the bottom and see if it has a springy feel when you push on it.
1640884465799.png

Your car or truck moving along the highway generates plenty of airflow through the radiator. Your cat working it's heart out at maybe 2-3 MPH has no airflow. If the fan can't pull enough air it will get hot.

You definitely need to learn how your cat works and be able to repair minor problems. Carry a tool kit, extra coolant, oil, maybe a belt and some hoses. Some electrical bits. Easy stuff to fix if it breaks. The chances of getting a mechanic out to fix it are about slim to none. You guys look pretty well dressed for the outdoors. Carry extra food, water, clothes and sleeping bags in case a breakdown turns into an overnight stay in the back of your icebox/1500.

Radiator might have a drain petcock on the bottom, or it might not. Or it might twist itself off the radiator. Ask me how I know that.

Do you have the Ford or AMC engine? Some engines will have a threaded plug in the block to drain the coolant. The Ford 6 has it under the exhaust manifold.

josh312

It's tough to make a solid diagnosis over the internet, but it does look like reduced airflow into the radiator and an engine being worked very hard led to overheating and the radiator cap released the pressure. Probably does not have a coolant recovery bottle so it just spit out of the top of the radiator. Should be a little nipple in the neck right below the radiator cap. There might be a small hose attached to it. Might also be as simple as a bad cap not holding pressure. Check for a rubber gasket on the bottom and see if it has a springy feel when you push on it.

Your car or truck moving along the highway generates plenty of airflow through the radiator. Your cat working it's heart out at maybe 2-3 MPH has no airflow. If the fan can't pull enough air it will get hot.

You definitely need to learn how your cat works and be able to repair minor problems. Carry a tool kit, extra coolant, oil, maybe a belt and some hoses. Some electrical bits. Easy stuff to fix if it breaks. The chances of getting a mechanic out to fix it are about slim to none. You guys look pretty well dressed for the outdoors. Carry extra food, water, clothes and sleeping bags in case a breakdown turns into an overnight stay in the back of your icebox/1500.

Radiator might have a drain petcock on the bottom, or it might not. Or it might twist itself off the radiator. Ask me how I know that.

Do you have the Ford or AMC engine? Some engines will have a threaded plug in the block to drain the coolant. The Ford 6 has it under the exhaust manifold.
Thanks! Very helpful! It’s the AMC engine.

zspryte

Site Supporter
Aside - looks like shoveled a ton get your cat out. Was that necessary? I shovel to the door, clear a foot near the bottom and three or four up higher and get as much off the top and back as possible. Then I drive out. I've never had an issue even when the tracks were 8 feet below the new snow surface.

josh312

Aside - looks like shoveled a ton get your cat out. Was that necessary? I shovel to the door, clear a foot near the bottom and three or four up higher and get as much off the top and back as possible. Then I drive out. I've never had an issue even when the tracks were 8 feet below the new snow surface.
Yeah you prob right. Was trying to be over cautious :)