• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

University of Minnesota Research

chri4098

Hello, I am currently a senior at the University of Minnesota, majoring in political science. With that being said I am working on a research project looking into how media portrayal affects people’s reaction to climate change policy. I am particularly interested in hearing from those who live in rural communities as well as those who work in the agricultural industry. As this is a unique perspective many political scientists do not look into. I would appreciate it if people could take my survey:https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6V72uMzYtDRUCPQ. Also taking the survey will enter you into a drawing for one of the $20 gift cards I am giving away. The survey only takes between 5-10 minutes. The only eligibility requirements are to be over the age of 18, and proficient in English.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Your question "Do you believe climate change is real" is interesting in that it is so vague.

You never asked about people living in suburbia, only urban and rural and transitions from one to the other. Is someone who lives in suburbia, who never lived in a true urban area or a true rural area unimportant? There are probably more "suburban" residents around urban centers than there are urban dwellers and clearly they outnumber rural people. Yet they may not interact daily with either rural or urban people.

Oddly, you skipped the 3rd largest organized political party in your political survey, instead opting to include parties that have never elected anyone to national office.

Several of your questions are also mysterious. For example, "What do you think of the federal government's actions on climate change?" if I answer "extremely dissatisfied" do you imply I want MORE government action? Or do you understand that I want the government to STOP its actions?

Honestly, given how vague some of your questions are, and how some of your answer choices are also somewhat vague, I'm curious if you will get useable data. In my graduate work I did a lot of survey research, I'm curious what results you will get.

Last edited:

chri4098

Thanks for the feedback, the suburbia feedback is much appreciated. In regards to the other points, I understand where you are coming from. I have to be somewhat mysterious and vague to avoid leading people to answer certain questions, trust me, I would like to be more detailed but our university IRB was big on making sure there is no leading. Not worried about getting the data, there are some really neat R-Studio functions I have used so far to get quality data analysis for this project. I can also cross analyze questions to see the relationship between questions and can for the most part deduce what people mean on questions such as "What do you think of the federal government's actions on climate change?" This survey passed through many revisions and people, not worried about its quality too much @Melensdad

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As farmer myself I say this climate change idea is predicated on lies, omission and more.
It is a non-issue in the Agricultural community. We do not plan for it in any way shape or form what we do managing our crops or livestock.
Actually, higher CO2 means fertilizer for crops and all vegetation.
At this point it is quite clear the entire argument is political, propagated here by one political party, and even Geopolitical left-wing extremists. Designed to instill fear in people like yourself who confined in Urbana have little idea of what is going on outside the Urban echo chamber.
Please explain why China is exempt from doing anything.... :furious:
the party that promotes the garbage is the one who lies cheats steals, riots loots and burns. But of course, you saw that firsthand is my bet.
How is the fake meat anyway? I bet you have tried it lol...

You Tube is your friend. Just take some time and investigate Tony Heller.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is a non-issue in the Agricultural community....
Kirk, I certainly hope you filled out the survey.

I'm a former suburban kid who moved to a rural area. I've never pretended to farm for an income but I have planted crops and also had 'real' farmers plant my excess land.

From everything I've seen over the past 3 decades out here, the whole political concept of climate change is an urban issue and as a former small business owner/employer I always wondered why (and of course I know the answers) some foreign nations are exempted from emissions standards and why we penalize ourselves.

Again, I hope that people fill out the survey, largely to see what is being asked. Then come here and speak your mind about the questions because to my mind, despite @chri4098 's comments stating otherwise, the survey actually seems very "leading" to me. And for whatever it is worth, @chri4098, to give you a bit of background, I'd point out that Kirk and I have a long history of political disagreement, so for him and I to agree clearly says something.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The survey was just left-wing bull shit I ended before I finished it. It provided the only acceptable answers, Many questions that were emotion based. Like do you think the climate is changing with no other qualifications... Total bull shit IMHO.
F'ing Democrats in Minnesota of all places who would have thunk?
They cannot even have a fair election. They immortalized a Black thug. :pat: Yea they got it goin'on up there in there soon to be Democrat shit hole.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I did complete the survey. however, as kirk noted, many of the questions were weighted. And so were the answer choices.

For instance, which industry contributes the most to greenhouse gases assume the very concept of anthropologic greenhouse gases changing the climate is valid.

This was intended not to gather any facts, but to measure public opinion weighted by age, income, and status levels.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did complete the survey. however, as kirk noted, many of the questions were weighted. And so were the answer choices.

For instance, which industry contributes the most to greenhouse gases assume the very concept of anthropologic greenhouse gases changing the climate is valid.

This was intended not to gather any facts, but to measure public opinion weighted by age, income, and status levels.
YUP

I think anyone who has any life experience can clearly see this survey is biased. I get that undergrads are idealists, but if this survey has been through several iterations that supposedly removed bias then I'd hate to see what the first few versions looked like.

And I get the whole point that @chri4098 was making about cross referencing questions; again, I did my graduate work in this field, but damn. I mean seriously damn. If this is what passes as unbiased then we have a very serious bias problem in education (and since I have devoted the last 15 years to volunteering at high schools and colleges I already knew that was a real problem).

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
They built it because the world order hasn't enforced any environmental restrictions on them because they are still a developing country according to WTO.

echo

They built it because the world order hasn't enforced any environmental restrictions on them because they are still a developing country according to WTO.
Do you think China would listen to a big money maker for some.

H B Lowrey

As farmer myself I say this climate change idea is predicated on lies, omission and more.
It is a non-issue in the Agricultural community. We do not plan for it in any way shape or form what we do managing our crops or livestock.
Actually, higher CO2 means fertilizer for crops and all vegetation.
At this point it is quite clear the entire argument is political, propagated here by one political party, and even Geopolitical left-wing extremists. Designed to instill fear in people like yourself who confined in Urbana have little idea of what is going on outside the Urban echo chamber.
Please explain why China is exempt from doing anything.... :furious:
the party that promotes the garbage is the one who lies cheats steals, riots loots and burns. But of course, you saw that firsthand is my bet.
How is the fake meat anyway? I bet you have tried it lol...

You Tube is your friend. Just take some time and investigate Tony Heller.
Sure. YouTube videos are research, and you speak for "agriculture". No discussion to be had, la la la la la.

But one example.