• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

TUG (1984 DMC 1450) Listed For Sale on ksl.com

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
wow, what a great machine and it is for sale, BFT rarely sells, so for a machine that has had ever nut and bolt inspected and truly everything fixed, the reliability is through the roof....bft and his work buddy are very detailed in the work they do
you can spend more and not get a better machine !
you can spend less and then keep spending and never get a machine nearly as good and truly never get one as good,
don't think twice about this one,
it is so rare when a good machine comes on the market,

Last edited:

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
The machine looks great. This will be a solid purchase for someone. Just a thought: perhaps adding the word "Snowcat" to the title would allow the listing to show up in more search results on KSL. Either way it will probably sell quickly.

Bennyboy1337

Any concerns with the "extra wide track" modification? They didn't extend the bogies and drive sprockets to now be at the center of the new desired track width. This would in my mind put undue stress on the belt and wheels since one side is wider than the other. Mint machine otherwise! I assume if it's been running for 10+ years with the track mod with no major consequences, should be fine right?

Drifli

Any concerns with the "extra wide track" modification? They didn't extend the bogies and drive sprockets to now be at the center of the new desired track width. This would in my mind put undue stress on the belt and wheels since one side is wider than the other. Mint machine otherwise! I assume if it's been running for 10+ years with the track mod with no major consequences, should be fine right?
Many cats ran tracks just like this with the strong OC-12 rearend shouldn’t have any issues. Look at the 2100 series thiokol’s, damn near every ski resort ran them for decades with no issues.

Bennyboy1337

Many cats ran tracks just like this with the strong OC-12 rearend shouldn’t have any issues. Look at the 2100 series thiokol’s, damn near every ski resort ran them for decades with no issues.
Are 2100s really off-center though? My friends grandfather had a 2100b wide track for sale I looked at. Too wide for me, and I thought about cutting the outer band off, but then the drive would be off center, so I passed. Actually, able to find photos of LMC3700s that have extra extra wide tracks with an additional band on them, so they are off center.

But yeah, to your point, if something like this has run on oil fields and ski hills for half a century with out any apparent issue, then should be solid.

Hmmm... maybe I should go pick up that 2100 and cut the tracks off and build a cab on it now :D (I stole the pic of the one below online, but was more or less what he had).
1674606423795.png

View attachment 160445
1003-5.jpg

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
This is the famed unicorn of snowcats. Worth every penny.
Agreed. And to buy one in lesser condition and put it into this kind of condition, even if you are as knowledgeable and particular as these two guys, can involve you donating hundreds of hours of your time and spending tens of thousands of dollars. Ask me how I know 😌

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you all for the kind words. I sincerely appreciate them!

Jon, that's a heck of a good idea and I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that. I wrote the listing, read it over multiple times - making revisions here and there...and never considered the search aspect. Thank you. The listing on ksl.com has been revised!

Bennyboy, I share your concern about an asymmetric track belt setup, though it does seem to work okay and several manufacturers seem to use that design.

We kept the machine pretty much on the trailer when we worked on it, and if we were in and out of the cab frequently we would put a short bucket and some wood blocks between the tracks to support the upper track and make it more stable when getting in and out. Scott has suggested adding an extension to one of what I'll call the axle tubes, along with an idler wheel to add support to the outer track belt.

We're really past the meat of the snowcat selling season, and if it doesn't sell and we get caught up on our other projects, maybe we'll add idler wheels.