• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker rear end and pontoon repair question

Tye one on

I have a 1965 tucker 343a with a 318 Chrysler that has bent tubes on the front end. I was hoping to tweet them back into place but it's seeming like I may be replacing the housing all together if one can be found. As I disassembled the pontoon to remove it I'm seeing some worn parts that I will replace when I put it back together. There is one thing about the pontoon that has got me puzzled and I'm hoping one of you tucker guys will have the answer. If you look close at the bearing surface on the pontoon closest to the cat there is a steel insert in the Fiberglas that I cannot figure out how it comes out. When I grab it it is loose in the Fiberglas and will spin 1/8 of a turn and stop. It doesn't seem to be held in by anything and will not come out with light tapping with brass hammer. Are these replaceable? Maybe not. Thanks in advance for any info.

Attachments

• image-452931528.jpg
    image-452931528.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 174
  • image-515326135.jpg
    image-515326135.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 172
  • image-4045881752.jpg
    image-4045881752.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 173

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did my two front ones and they are glassed in. That is not a critical connection and should have some play. The only movement is the pontoon pivot so keep some grease there. How much slop? Meausrement? Mine had maybe 1/32-1/16

Tye one on

The piece in the glass spins maybe 1/4" either way but no slop to speak of. There is however slop in the bearing surface of the glassed in pontoon piece and the piece that is welded on the rear end. I am having a machine shop make me new ones to weld to the new rear end housing. Thanks for the info.