• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 442 Door Window Help

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Trying to replace the sliders in my doors. 68 tucker 442. They had plexi-glass bypass sliders. They were in a felt U track. I think the top may have had some metal u track. The interior trim may have assisted in holding the felt track but I don't know when or if I will put the interior door trim back on. The track is about 1/2-3/4 wide and was screwed to the door frame. The doors also have a slight curve to them so glass will not be an option so I am going to use lexan.

Where can I find the track/felt channel for this preferably something stiff better than the stock felt? Where can I get some handles or buttons to attach to window so I can slide the windows? Is there some 2 track channel that would work better to isolate the window from each other to prevent scratching and rattling?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So I found some channel. Now wondering if I should go stainless or rubber?

Thinking stainless. Now I need to find a felt strip to go on the end of one window vertical to keep some weather tightness.

Still would like input.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
with the lexan window I put into my ACME doors on my jeep I didn't need any handles I was able to slide them just fine if you needed some latches and handles I would look at an rv parts place like coast distribution they should have about every thing you need.

4plus3vette

Window Parts: I bought parts to repair the window guides on my Thiokol Spryte from Peterson Equipment in Utah - 435-752-5110.

I think the vertical part that goes between the two windows is described as "fuzzy channel" on my receipt - Item # RM01831-011. It was either $4 or $8 each (plus shipping). The reason that I am "fuzzy" on the price is that I can't remember if I ordered 1 or 2!?!

You said that you found the other parts already, but if you need other window parts, they should be able to give you some guidance. Anyway, I suspect that these will fit your Tucker windows.

As far as slider handles go, I cut a piece of 1/4" plastic to a size of about 1"x3". I chamfered the the top edges to remove the sharp corners, then took a piece of 1" wide foam, double-stick tape and stuck it to the window in the appropriate location. I use this to open the window a few inches, then grab the edge of the window to slide it the rest of the way open. Hope this helps.

Jim

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
HOw have people been attaching the tracks? adhesive of some sort. the issue with rigid channel is you have to assemble the frame around the slider and installed then screw or glue. The screw heads might snap the slider unless there are some clips.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the 2 types of guides I have seen are rubber gasketed like the sliding back windows on older pickups. and a screw down type like the ones commonly used in rv's and camper shells the screw down models should work nice as long as your cut out matches the inside of your tract. I would guess one could also use a urethane glue in system like modern vehicles use now

Cletis

So how do you attach the channels? Would like to see a picture when you get them on.

Cletis

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got my plan together and it worked real well. Other than the white track this setup is tight.

Just need to find some felt for the ends now. 1/2 felt tape thick pile form somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 207

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Adhesive tape was either on it or I added it.

These plastic ones seem to freeze less than the glass. Still working nicely decade later.