• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 1542 t case

dirtbike87

Got my 1542 transfer case tore apart to reseal and inspect and had a few quesions come up. Someone else has definitely been in there before so I'm not sure what is actually correct.

I have 2 different seals on the input/output shafts. A single lip 450095 and 2 piece cr 3192. They all leaked so I'm not sure which is correct, but I would guess the 3192 is right being a press fit instead of a seal lip?

The input shaft from the trans also did not have a retaining bolt on the yolk. It was seemed to be just held in place by luck. Is this correct? There is no slip joint between the transmission and transfer case otherwise.

What are you using to seal the shafts splines to the yolks. This one had copious amounts of silicone everywhere it could possibly go. Anyone had luck with anaerobic flange sealant?

Finally bearing preload?

Thanks!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
DB,

Tucker made different transfer cases over the years. Without knowing exactly what you have, it's impossible to suggest part numbers. My suggestion is to call Tucker, Inc with your VIN and ask them. Also ask them to sent you the original order sheet. There is a lot of great information on that as far as exactly how the machine was configured when it was originally assembled.

There is no retaining bolt on the transfer case input shaft on any Tucker I've owned. The transmissions (manual or automatic) have had a fixed yoke. if there is any frame flex, the slip yoke at the transfer case input shaft allows for that.

I agree about the spline seal conundrum. Lots of silicone seems like a "Bubba fix". Anerobic flange sealant strikes me as a good idea.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember the bearing preload. I don't recall that being specified in the Tucker factory "manual", either. I would suggest you ask Tucker that when (if) you call them.

Good Luck!