• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 1542 park brake

dirtbike87

Can anyone tell me ( or better yet show me a picture) of what the park brake band is supposed to be engaging when applied? I just have the stubby output shaft from the transmission going to the transfer case but there isn't anything on that drive shaft for the brake band to engage with. 5 speed manual transmission. I can post pictures next week if nobody can figure what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Pics from a Chrysler 318 Industrial and New Process 542 transmission as removed from a 1980 Tucker:

Right side.
IMG_0959.JPG

Left side.

IMG_0958.JPG

Rear.

IMG_0951.JPG

You will probably have to source the parts from a salvage yard. The 542 was a medium duty transmission so likely from a truck salvage yard. I don't have a clue where you're at but my yard of choice is Holst Truck Parts in Idaho Falls.

dirtbike87

Yep that's what I was thinking should be there. That's not what I have at all. I would have to venture the guess a u-joint went out and ruined the original. I'll have to try and find one locally in flatland (michigan). Is it really necessary to have it? I would think parking in gear would hold the machine in place...how easily do these things roll?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have seen flatlanders such as myself, flop a cat onto its side while loading a trailer. It wasn't until I had the opportunity to operate a cat higher elevations that the need for brakes became apparent. Warming up a cat and or anchoring it in position to perform a task are a couple reasons for a brake, if everything is in good shape they roll really easy.