• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trike ride to Great Smokey Mountains, Maggie Valley and Cherokee area

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last week Gail and I rode our trike to The Great Smokey Mountains area. We spent time in Asheville, Maggie Valley and Cherokee. We drove the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Cherokee. We drove through 17 tunnels and found out it was truly dark in there with sunglasses on when you can't see the other end of the tunnel. We rode a route that had a lot of waterfalls and we visited Fontana Dam. So much fun. I will post some scenic pics here but they do not do the area justice. There are so many breathtaking views, and the air smells so clean on top of the mountains. We will visit the area again.

Attachments

• IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1067.JPG
    IMG_1067.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1069.JPG
    IMG_1069.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1072.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1075.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1093.JPG
    IMG_1093.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6230.JPG
    IMG_6230.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6231.JPG
    IMG_6231.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6232.JPG
    IMG_6232.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6234.JPG
    IMG_6234.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6236.JPG
    IMG_6236.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6250.JPG
    IMG_6250.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6252.JPG
    IMG_6252.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6256.JPG
    IMG_6256.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6257.JPG
    IMG_6257.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6268.JPG
    IMG_6268.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6272.JPG
    IMG_6272.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6273.JPG
    IMG_6273.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6280.JPG
    IMG_6280.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6287.JPG
    IMG_6287.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 95

Ross 650

Site Supporter
My brother and I used to take our vacations on shovelhead Harleys. We always went West and I still dont know why. That desert riding was not very relaxing. Our longest ride was from Houston to Phoenix. Those old bikes were easy to keep running. Of course we carried quite a few tools. Good old days!!!!! Have a goodun!!!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My brother and I used to take our vacations on shovelhead Harleys. We always went West and I still dont know why. That desert riding was not very relaxing. Our longest ride was from Houston to Phoenix. Those old bikes were easy to keep running. Of course we carried quite a few tools. Good old days!!!!! Have a goodun!!!!!
I hear about some of the long rides that some can handle. I'm impressed. The Iron Butt Challenge is 1000 miles in one day and so many can do that. I can't. My butt, back, knees etc are painful after a few hours of riding. I take a break and then get on and go some more but most miles I did in a day was 400. That's the distance from my place to Asheville where we stayed. So I did that twice. Rained on for a few hours on the way down. But at end of each day after riding 400 miles I was glad to get off the bike for the day. Some say there are more comfortable seats but they cost a lot (800+) and I'm not sure they would help me that much. I fear I have back hip and knee issues that will bug me no matter.

The desert sure is different. Beautiful in it's own way. I like driving through it in my SUV. On a bike it would be tough but I do see the attraction. Did you ride Death Valley?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sweet pics for sure. What happens when it starts to rain? Ride thru or stop?
I am more of a rookie rider. I had driven the bike 5k miles since I bought it last august but all were day trips in SE Ohio and WV. Never in the rain. So wouldn't you know it one hour into our trip to the Smokey's it started to rain. Light at first. Then it picked up. I was surprised how it was not that bad. I have a windshield on the bike and my wife had on a full rain suit so no prob. Rain slowed us down some as I've read bike traction is not as good on wet pavement. So I took it easy but weathered the storm. It rained 3 separate times on us on the trip down. My rain suit was to hot and the windshield and floor boards helped keep me mostly dry. No problemo. I'm glad to have some rain riding under my belt. Now I know better what to expect. After that one day of rain that was it. No more rain for the rest of our trip. :D

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
No pictures of The Dragon????
Highway 129 at Fontanna
One of the "Death Roads" in America.
11 miles with 318 curves. It is a must run for bikes and two seat roadsters.

My Chrysler Crossfire club has a meet there every spring and fall.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No pictures of The Dragon????
Highway 129 at Fontanna
One of the "Death Roads" in America.
11 miles with 318 curves. It is a must run for bikes and two seat roadsters.

My Chrysler Crossfire club has a meet there every spring and fall.
I decided not to do the 'dragon'. I have the 'triple nickel' near me and drive it regularly. Once done I'm sure ready for some open road. Since trikes don't lean like bikes they are not as much fun in all those turns. I like windy roads but the 'dragon' sounds extreme and due to it being so busy I did not drive that. Maybe next time.
Rt 28 on the way from Fontana Dam to Dry Falls was fantastic. Beautiful views and fun road to drive.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I decided not to do the 'dragon'. I have the 'triple nickel' near me and drive it regularly. Once done I'm sure ready for some open road. Since trikes don't lean like bikes they are not as much fun in all those turns. I like windy roads but the 'dragon' sounds extreme and due to it being so busy I did not drive that. Maybe next time.
Rt 28 on the way from Fontana Dam to Dry Falls was fantastic. Beautiful views and fun road to drive.
For the record, Crossfires don't lean either.

14 minutes, 12 seconds, my best run.

As for views, I've never seen any as my eyes were focused on the hairpins that come rapidly one after another.

However,,,,;
The new speed limit on the Dragon is 35 MPH. Even Harleys can do that.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For the record, Crossfires don't lean either.

14 minutes, 12 seconds, my best run.

As for views, I've never seen any as my eyes were focused on the hairpins that come rapidly one after another.

However,,,,;
The new speed limit on the Dragon is 35 MPH. Even Harleys can do that.
LOL Yep a Harley can do that. LOL
Sports cars are made for those tight turns. The turns are extra fun in them or on a bike. Not the same with a trike. I won't attempt to race or keep up with y'all. I about got ran over by a group of corvettes on the triple nickel. I made it easy for them to pass and get on down the road.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
LOL Yep a Harley can do that. LOL
Sports cars are made for those tight turns. The turns are extra fun in them or on a bike. Not the same with a trike. I won't attempt to race or keep up with y'all. I about got ran over by a group of corvettes on the triple nickel. I made it easy for them to pass and get on down the road.
Yes, rt 28 is lovely. It goes all the way down to Franklin NC and is a great run for views and driving skills. Even on a Honda. LOL

• Haha

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Does Squerly live in that area?
I was just about to post about that. YES.

He has a Chateau, he built, near Franklin NC with a great view and a deck he built to host our Crossfire club.

Also known as: "Franc's OFF ROAD to the Mountain Chalet"
No worry though, it is not "OFF ROAD" anymore
icon_cool.gif

This is the official "SIGN UP" thread for the BBQ
You must post here if you plan to attend this BBQ and the number attending.
The list will be maintained in post #2 right here daily / nightly.
You must post by September 29th to allow our guests to plan for the total number attending.

It is on for Friday October 6th.
Leave the lodge at 9:30 AM.
The route / trip down to the chateau takes 2 to 2.50 hours.
BBQ begins as soon as we arrive and through the afternoon.

Leave the chateau and return whenever you wish.
One can make it back on 64 to Franklin and then to the lodge on the main highway in about an hour.
All will leave by 4:00 and get back in time to meet incoming members at the lodge.
icon_biggrin.gif

The day is free with a great meal and lovely view with a wonderful couple.
Bring a token gift, wine, a local micro brew beer if you like.
rolleyes.gif

If it rains on Friday then the whole thing will move to Saturday

dsc_4270_f79ae1ffd2edf6c08480fefdaff25c381a40c688.jpg

dsc_4281_be9d4bba318716cb44ba8839c92e8c6f01f9590e.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome. I remember watching him build that beautiful place.
I asked him on the tractor forum if he was in that area but didn't get a reply. I did not pursue it as our schedule was rather tight. Might give him a shout next time in that area.

edit to add:
Looks like we were very close. Dry Falls is just 25 mins away.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, since you missed the Dragon, here's a video from some of the road via a Crossfire run in 2017

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
THANKS Franc!!!!! :tiphat: That does look fun. I was expecting more hair pin turns, more motorcycles and more traffic. We will have to look it up on our next trip down there.
Those falls were amazing. Do you recall the name of them?
The drone footage is amazing. Way kewl.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The Falls are not on the Dragon but by another good scenic route. I cannot recall the name right now, but I will look it up.