Tragic Accident

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I know the lake, the lodge and the owners well.. stayed there last week. I can’t imagine what made them think it would be safe to wander out onto that lake. The tragedy is that they were warned not to do it by the owner who spends a lot of time grooming the snowmobile trails up there.

PJL

Thoughts and prayers out to the families of the missing guys also the search and rescue folks that will end up diving under the ice to look for them.

KT3survivor

the grand mesa can be an unforgiving, unpredictable place. the thought of driving any cat accross any of those lakes seems crazy to me. but 15k on island lake is something i hope no one ever attempts again.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
That is just tragic...

Tom, thanks for sharing that and highlighting a danger many of us don't give enough thought to.

I grew up in the northeast where there tend to be colder temperatures and less snow. That means both the frost level in the ground is deeper, and the ice on lakes and rivers is thicker. My impression living in Utah is somewhat the opposite. We tend to get more snow and it starts to accumulate before the ground has frozen very deeply. That snow then acts as an insulating blanket and the ground never freezes to significant depths. That same concept applies to lake and river ice. I can remember crossing a "frozen" lake while snowmobiling with buddies high in the Utah mountains, looking back at my tracks and seeing slush. I made sure to keep my speed up and fortunately made it across without incident. To put it mildly and politely...it was a learning experience.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
KT3 and Blackfoot...you guys are spot on in your comments. I too question the figure thrown out for the weight of the machine..but having ridden that lake on a snowmobile and having the same experience of slush, it cured me of the desire to surf that lake on a snow machine. Unfortunately I believe this may have been a case of not realizing where they were or even worse one of those “ here hold my beer, watch this “ moments that went wrong.

KT3survivor

Unfortunately I believe this may have been a case of not realizing where they were or even worse one of those “ here hold my beer, watch this “ moments that went wrong.

the 1am engine startup certainly raises eyebrows. been trying to find a picture online of his cat just because im curious myself on the weight

PJL

The lodge owner said he heard the cat start at 1 am. Lends some weight to the "hold my beer" scenario. Several years ago a guy around here did that in a Cessna with 2 passengers. Ended badly.

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Everybody should pay really close attention to the actions and outcome of this very tragic ending of two peoples lifes. Not going to say that alcohol was involved in this accident, but good judgement was definately not used. After talking to the lodge owner about taking it out on the lake they did so anyway. And you would know you were on the lake as soon as you hit the surface of it. The report said the two bodies were recovered out side of the cat which indicates they did try to exit ,but water temps would be unreal to survive in. Very sad deal, thoughts and prayers go out to all who knew these young men. The country that we as snow catters so enjoy if not respected can have severe consequences.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Well this is gruesome...a friend of mine is in the towing business as was one of the victims. He relayed the following..they were drinking if not drunk at the time and their foray on to the lake was intentional. When they were found one of them had a flashlight frozen in one hand and the other hand was cut and scarred from trying to claw his way out! They were both in the Cat irregardless of what the report said.

Think about that for a minute...I guess we all feel a little bit bullet proof in these machines from time to time because of what they are capable of..but do so at our own peril.

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Tom, That is a very sad story. Everybody sure needs to be extra aware of all your actions. There are many ways other than water to get in a bad bind while snow catting in the back country. Just be Safe Please!!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tom, That is a very sad story. Everybody sure needs to be extra aware of all your actions. There are many ways other than water to get in a bad bind while snow catting in the back country. Just be Safe Please!!

I would like to add to that staying sober is another good rule to observe. Sobriety has been scientifically linked directly to common sense. :wink:

Regards, Kirk

PJL

Tom, thanks for filling in the rest of the story. That hit a little close to home.

300 H you are right.

We can sit here and joke about "here hold my beer" but in reality it causes way to many senseless deaths. Every single day.

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
We all need to take a moment and think about what we are doing, stay aware of our surroundings and weather conditions.

I truly hope never to hear about another senseless tragic accident like this one.

my prayers goes to all involved, the families and rescue teams.

Last edited: