• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Took a road trip again..

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Hibbing Hull Rust Mine: Minnesota’s Grand Canyon​

Spent 4 days out and about with my Wife. Headed North for some cooler temps.
This is one of the several things we took in along the way.
Simply amazing to see in person. This news clip is where we were.

Umberto

One of my relatives was a mining engineer there. We visited them when I was a kid and got a tour of the pits. Later he took us fishing, trolling for northerns, and caught my first about a three footer. They filleted it and we had it for breakfast the next day. I was hooked after that.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Pretty interesting! I didn't know there was an area like that in Minnesota. It's now on my To Do List for this summer. For the past 2 years I have been living in Northern Iowa, only 20 miles from the Minnesota border, so it's only 400 miles each way for me.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been there several times. Every labor day for years, we'd head to Hibbing for the labor day weekend shootout at the dirt track. We stayed at the rv park next to the old mining museum. Amazing place to see. The actual mine hole is massive. My mom and brother are going this coming weekend as he is racing there.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty interesting! I didn't know there was an area like that in Minnesota. It's now on my To Do List for this summer. For the past 2 years I have been living in Northern Iowa, only 20 miles from the Minnesota border, so it's only 400 miles each way for me.

About a 4 hr drive southwest for me. We usually drive to Duluth and head up if we have any shopping to do or we come down and cut across from silver bay on the shore of lake superior.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's fascinating and way too cool. Can I ask for travel tips if we go there?

Travelers tip if you like dirt track racing. Hibbing Minnesota has a great race track and every September long weekend, they host a 3 day shootout featuring late models, modified, Midwest mods, and superstocks. 3 days of nonstop racing action. I believe they had around 165 cars this year. I didn't go but my brother raced there. We have gone a few times. Haul the camper down and stay at a campground right next to the hull rust mining museum. We checked that out then went over to see the actual mine which is HUGE btw. The big rock trucks look like little toys off in the distance. Then headed to the track for great racing.