• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thinking of getting a sports sedan

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't drive much since retirement but like to have something nice and sporty to drive around in. My truck sucks for driving around town.

Currently driving a BMW 530i but that brand (like Audi) are finicky about maintenance and can get costly once you cross the 120K mile mark.

Was thinking of going away from German cars and go with something else, probably Japanese. Was considering a Lexus GS350 but then saw the Toyota Avalon is about the same car for less $.

Thoughts of sport sedans worth looking at?

I'm also considering a mid-size SUV. As I age, getting in-and-out of sedans is not as friendly as stepping into a SUV. Mrs. Zoom has a Lexus RX350 which is a sporty little thing. Actually, I checked our insurance policy. We pay a premium on the BMW and RX350 as their horsepower to weight ratio is so high we have to pay a surcharge.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had that BMW Z3 sports car. Loved it but it was getting close to 120k so I sold before I was hit with major repair bills. Loved driving that car. My wife's car is a 2013 Avalon. I drive it as much as her since we usually go to town together. It is fun to drive but no BMW. It is sporty enough for me most of the time. I get a hair up my butt once in awhile and consider another sports car but that is the last thing I need. The Avalon is more fun to drive than my Chevy truck for sure. My main vehicle is a Toyota 4Runner. It has a very nice ride. We take it when going on long trips for the extra space and to sit up higher than you do in a car. It seems more comfortable than the Avalon for long trips. I'm not a mechanic so I settle for Toyota dependability. And they are fun to drive but hard to compare to the BMW for sportiness.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Avalon has been looking like a great choice for the past few years and the current version looks great. If you can live without the “L” logo you save thousands and get a very similar vehicle.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Away from German cars? I can't imagine unless I went nuts and bought a Bull.
Oriental is soulless, lifeless, utilitarian.
Don't do it!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My main vehicle is a Toyota 4Runner.
Funny you should say that. The SUV I'm strongly considering is the Toyota Highlander.

Fred - Agreed that the Japanese aren't quite as nice as the German cars. I've had 2 BMW's, 3 Audi's and 2 Mercedes. I've also had probably 10-15 Honda's and Toyota's. I think the Asian market is stepping it up quite a bit lately to compete against the German cars. They're also a LOT more reliable and when they do need repair, it's significantly cheaper than the German cars.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Probably, but boones farm.is cheap and consistent too.
Jus sayin....
For me, I can fix the cars, and I actually like doing it. So cost of ownership is not an issue.
If you are not inclined so, yes, oriental is the way to go. Or have deep pockets since the stealerships are rapists.
And I don't get the reliability thing. I've owned benzes almost exclusivity since 1997 (plus 2 bimmer). Brakes, tires, suspension, a battery every six years, just like any other car.