• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The real reason people are against commercial wind farms.

kc3tec

I have heard it all about why people protest wind farms,
They site that they are unsightly, noisy, harm wildlife,
To some extent there is a small bit of truth here.
But not to the extent they are claiming.
The real reason is the utilities will be getting a huge boost in output from commercial wind and solar that they can charge customers for
Generation cost goes down while rates stay the same, much higher profit.
As consumers we want much lower rates thats understandable, but do you think the utilities and their stockholders will want to part with any amount of such a windfall?

Thats the real reason for their protesting!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have heard it all about why people protest wind farms,
They site that they are unsightly, noisy, harm wildlife,
To some extent there is a small bit of truth here.
But not to the extent they are claiming.
The real reason is the utilities will be getting a huge boost in output from commercial wind and solar that they can charge customers for
Generation cost goes down while rates stay the same, much higher profit.
As consumers we want much lower rates thats understandable, but do you think the utilities and their stockholders will want to part with any amount of such a windfall?

Thats the real reason for their protesting!
Please cite your sources for your claims. And you have made many claims.

What is a windfall profit? How much is reasonable and where is it unreasonable? A gas station makes about 3-5 cents per gallon on the sale of gas, a jeweler make between 100 and 400% forgot per item sold. Which is reasonable? Are either a windfall?

With taxpayer subsidies, is wind power actually cheaper to produce? Or is the actual cost higher per watt after taxes are factors in due to the grants, tax credits, carbon offset credits, property tax allowances, subsidies, etc?

Is windpower scalable? Meaning can they actually produce more or is there a practical limit per tower? If there is a limit of output then it is not actually scaleable, and they need more towers, which means costs actually go up to generate more.

kc3tec

A windfall profit for example
If you sold bottled water after a hurricane or natural disaster your sales exceed the normal sales dramatically thus the government may tax you accordingly to redistribute some of thos profit to help rebuild the community.

Wind, and water generation of ppwer depend on the durability of the equipment and elemental exposure.
Hydro- electric depends on gravity of a liquid medium
And is generally consistant and stable.
It downfall is its extremely rough on hardware.
Maintainance cost is higher.
Wind power is dependant on the wind itself.
Only certain locations( wind alleys) produce enough wind to be viable but it will be sporadic at best and large battery banks are required during low to no wind conditions.
Yes the can produce noise from wind turbulance.
Yes they can be hazardous to birds.
Solar generation has two categories:
Passive ( heat generation) and active ( conversion)
Passive solar farms focus mirror arrays os a single point to generate steam.
Its remarkably efficient for something so simple.
But any bird that flies within the focusing zone gets killed or seriously injured from the intense heat.
Active: the generation of electrical power via photovoltaic cells converts sunlight into electricity.
This is a zero emission process throughout the life of the solar cell ( which by the way is a hell of a long time)
Downfalls are. They are light dependant heavy overcast will produce little to no power.
Also require a fairly decent battery bank.
Need periodic surface cleaning for efficiency.
And lastly there is the issue of disposal of damaged cells.
Earlier solar cells leached toxic elements into the ground so disposal was a problem.
With advances today that has been drastically reduced.
And finally the cost is still prohibitive.

No energy source is perfect.
Hydrocarbon fuels conversion produce the most readily available power per pound and a liquid medium makes it easy to transfer from one place to another( storage tank to its consumption area be it a piston, turbine, and or boiler)
Nuclear power is very efficient but its downfall is
Its waste products are hazardous and extremely difficult to safely dispose of.
And as far as information sources, ive learned a long time ago no to place complete faith in any source of information without researching multiple sources.
As information can be skewed to directly influence the desired outcome.

Any one cans sell you a baggie of salt and tell you its sugar
But until you test it yourself you will believe its sugar.

chowderman

in the USA public utilities like water, sewer, gas, electric . . . are granted monopoly status and are highly regulated.
they cannot do "windfall profits" - their rates and profit margins are regulated and monitored - we get rate change notifications right regular and I always take the opportunity to react by snail mail, demanding the public utility commission(s) tell the utility companies to take a hike.

in contrast for example, cable companies like to contractually monopolize and area in cahoots with local governments, to keep competition from, well, err,,,, competing. in my area, in additional to all the 'local programming' surcharges and the 'local sports coverage' surcharges, there's a "township fee" - it's basically a tax - I pay the township $x per month so they can prevent fiber optic companies from moving into Comcast's 'turf' and competing.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A windfall profit for example
If you sold bottled water after a hurricane or natural disaster your sales exceed the normal sales dramatically thus the government may tax you accordingly to redistribute some of thos profit to help rebuild the community.

Wind, and water generation of ppwer depend on the durability of the equipment and elemental exposure.
Hydro- electric depends on gravity of a liquid medium
And is generally consistant and stable.
It downfall is its extremely rough on hardware.
Maintainance cost is higher.
Wind power is dependant on the wind itself.
Only certain locations( wind alleys) produce enough wind to be viable but it will be sporadic at best and large battery banks are required during low to no wind conditions.
Yes the can produce noise from wind turbulance.
Yes they can be hazardous to birds.
Solar generation has two categories:
Passive ( heat generation) and active ( conversion)
Passive solar farms focus mirror arrays os a single point to generate steam.
Its remarkably efficient for something so simple.
But any bird that flies within the focusing zone gets killed or seriously injured from the intense heat.
Active: the generation of electrical power via photovoltaic cells converts sunlight into electricity.
This is a zero emission process throughout the life of the solar cell ( which by the way is a hell of a long time)
Downfalls are. They are light dependant heavy overcast will produce little to no power.
Also require a fairly decent battery bank.
Need periodic surface cleaning for efficiency.
And lastly there is the issue of disposal of damaged cells.
Earlier solar cells leached toxic elements into the ground so disposal was a problem.
With advances today that has been drastically reduced.
And finally the cost is still prohibitive.

No energy source is perfect.
Hydrocarbon fuels conversion produce the most readily available power per pound and a liquid medium makes it easy to transfer from one place to another( storage tank to its consumption area be it a piston, turbine, and or boiler)
Nuclear power is very efficient but its downfall is
Its waste products are hazardous and extremely difficult to safely dispose of.
And as far as information sources, ive learned a long time ago no to place complete faith in any source of information without researching multiple sources.
As information can be skewed to directly influence the desired outcome.

Any one cans sell you a baggie of salt and tell you its sugar
But until you test it yourself you will believe its sugar.
Strikes me you live by feeling instead of fact because you failed, nay refused, to provide factual information or sources, then degraded sources. I suspect you just want other people to pay for things you want.

kc3tec

No i dont, so stop making that assumption.
Is it so wrong for someone to rant about high costs of everything.
Is it such a fecking sin to be upset that at a time when places are screaming for workers because of joes bonuses in unemployment that people wont work, ( they make more money in unemployment than the did at their regular wage and for a longer time).

That no one will hire you even for part time because your health ( cardiac patient)
Even though its illegal to discriminate against a heart patient they claim its a sarety issue.
You basically have to have a body cam on you in order to prove it because just audio recording is inadmissable as evidence in a court of law.

I never used to be this way, being forced into retirement on a pension not even 1/5th the monthly income i was pulling down and watching all your savings vanish quickly in medical expenses.
What i want is a freaking job but all im getting is a sandpaper dildo up the ass.
So yeah im a disgruntled veteran whos tired of getting screwed over by the dicks he served to protect.
I get no benifits from the veterans affairs because my condition is not military related
So even those on welfare have it better off than i do,
I have to pay for my own health insurance, loans, utilities, support my wife, her medical bills too.
Its a struggle to keep my head above water.
So lets get this thing clear right now.
I DONT WANT ANYONES PITY, IM NOT BEGGING FOR MONEY AND I DONT WANT ANYONES HELP.
But at least allow me the opportunity to rant once in a while.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
blah blah blah . . .
. . . IM NOT BEGGING FOR MONEY AND I DONT WANT ANYONES HELP.
And yet you want your neighbors taxed to pay for solar panels you'd like installed on your roof???

kc3tec

You are implying i want them taxed, in no way did i state that.
If that is what you assumed, you are totally wrong, my only reason was complaining about the high prices and nothing more.
I though i made this clear enough but i guess not judging by the continued negative response.

Furthermore as a staff member of a forum you should know that what you are exibiting is trolling behavior by continuosly aggravating a situation that I am trying to defuse.
( im no stranger to forums being staff, admin, and supermoderator myself on other forums)

So to that end enough is enough, ban my account and delete if you want because as of now i dont give a shit.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not implying it.

It is fact.

If you want it paid for by tax dollars then, by default, you are asking for others to be taxed.

Why would you be banned for expressing your opinions?

kc3tec

Where exactly did i say i WANTED it subsidized?
Where did i say i Wanted it paid for with other peoples taxes?

Answer Nowhere in MY POST have I ever stated that.
So yes someone is implying that i did.
So who is breaking one of the 10 commandments. ( thou shalt not bear false witness)