The morrels are out!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent a good part of the day picking wild morel mushrooms. Must be a good year, as we filled two grocery sacks, in about 3 hours or so.

I think I have enough to last me for a while, and share with my dad. Unfortunately the rest of my family doesn't enjoy them as I do. Oh well more for me...:wink::biggrin:

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

Infirmière essentielle
GOLD Site Supporter
I love morels, they are plentiful around here, but you just need to know where to look! :smile:

Umberto

Holy cow, Kirk, that is a huge haul. My buddy in Tipton only found 4 mushrooms the other day and usually they get many.

I put them in spaghetti sauce as well as batter fry.

Last year he did find 2 huge hen of the woods.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just had a large plate of Morels and wild asparagus... I finished planting corn this evening,:clap: after a week wait on a drainage tile contractor.:sad:
I used I teaspoon of finely minced onion, and filled the Grisswold No.7 CI skillet with 2 table spoons of butter and a single layer of mushrooms that had been dusted with flour, salt and pepper. Cooked them on both sides till close to done, added about a cup and a half of asparagus pieces, and one third cup heavy cream. Reduced it by half, about 5 min on medium heat. Plated it and some grated parmesan cheese over the top.

Absolute heaven!!:biggrin: Of course anything in a reduced cream sauce is..:wink:

Next time I might add a handful of shrimp to this...:whistling:

And I need to find a few more Morel's too...

Regards, Kirk

Umberto

Shrimp with butter, olive oil, garlic, and parmesan over linguini.... the morels would be a nice touch.

My dad was a soil conservationist and planned tiling. Those were simpler days. I loved going to Sheffield and Rockford for the free tiling toys they gave out.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
at safeway today they had fresh chanterelle mushrooms for $34 a pound. i seen them locally online for $17.