• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The latest in Artifical Intelligence Chat GPT. It will write papers for you.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Chat GPT is the latest AI phenomenon. I saw the demo on CBS Sunday Morning and was amazed.
Is this a good thing, I have to wonder. At this point it seems more negative than positive. Teachers are not in favor. They will have to have their students write the papers in class so they know they did not use this tool. Lawyers sure could use it for all the paper they generate. So could politicians. Still, not sure if that is a good thing. What do you think?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ask it why Christianity is good.
Ask it to describe why the pro-life movement is a positive influence.
Ask it why abortion is bad.

You won't get the answers you are expecting. There is a very clear liberal bias.

chowderman

web sites offering to do your homework / essays for you have abounded since luv-you-long-time.
AI is just the latest incarnation to creating 'WTF?" style compositions.....
they 'work' in the most general sense, but if any depth/technical knowledge required, they flame out, big time.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just like with the model T or the early computers. This is the start. I know people would write papers for a fee to help lame brains cheat. This is a whole new concept. The report I saw said that version 4 of chart GPT has been loaded with millions of documents for it's 'learning process'. It will read those and from that be able to answer many inquiries. I do think the in depth ankylosis will come as the app matures. Time will tell.

chowderman

I followed a lot of the AI stuff during my 'automation' doings - getting AI to 'learn' in restricted environments does work reasonably well. but in an unrestricted environment - like a "librarian" - it cannot cope.
projections are it will be trillions of code lines and a computer several thousand times faster than the Cray generation. then there's the 'storage' question . . .
current technology cannot even remotely 'imitate' the Star Trek computer - which was presented in 1966 . . . so methinks we have a long way to go.