• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tell me what you know about an XJS

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I saw a very clean black over tan Jag XJS. Wife always wanted one. Me, nope, don't need to be chasing leaking smoke, aka, Lucas electronics.
Anybody here ever have one?
What to look out for; what to expect?
Sold the convertible Bimmer, so I have an empty spot.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My son has one. Not sure the year but at least 5 years old.

Diesel w great fuel mileage. Great car on long trips. Spends a lot of money and time in the shop.

DEF fuel problems cost $3,500 to repair.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And Attorney I know had a wife who bought one circa mid 90"s time frame. 1986 V12 of course. It was late enough it had fuel injection. The problems that car had seemed to emulate from there. Solid build quality, rust free example out of Texas. Nicely appointed with leather and burled Walnut trim that appeared to be the real deal.
But in the end a lack of a competent mechanic in the Des Moines area made it to tough to take and it went to auction, to be some one else's headache...
But if you knew the "right Guy" or group of guys who do their own, it might be interesting... Lucas sucks in so many ways
You did not say what year of car your looking at...?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not sure of the year. It was sitting there for sale. Nobody home. Going to try this weekend. I know brakes can be a pain when needing rotors; they are sprung weight, meaning not attached at the hubs but on the half shafts. I watched somebody do it once.
The lines on that car are something.
I'll let you know what comes off it off anything.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you talking about a Jaguar XJS?

I miss read your post.

V12's are a PIA Cannot keep them cool and they do catch fire.
My Business partner back in the 80'w and 90's was, and still is, a jag fanatic But then he was born to money and can afford it..
In line six isn't as fast but are a whole lot less trouble.
Sexy as hell but you can keep it. I wouldn't own one.

Last edited:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, am hoping it's a six.
Have two v12 cars now. Don't need another one.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry I miss read it. The XJS six with a stick a as rare as a good woman and just as much joy to drive.

If you find one of those don't let it go. And, easier to work on it. There is actually room in the engine bay for a normal guy to work. The SJS has beautiful, elegant coachwork and finish. The six makes it a tolerable beast to own.

Good luck with your quest.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Always liked the looks of them, but don't know anyone who had/has one.

As you said, probably saved a bunch of cash.