• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Subtitles aka Closed Caption

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've started using subtitles and can follow shows easier. My hearing is fading plus I have tinnitus.

Wondering if many of you use subtitles aka closed caption when watching the tube.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We sometimes use subtitles too.

Particularly on Scottish and English TV series and movies. But generally I like having them on.

chowderman

I intensely dislike computers and phone "talking" to me . . . I only enable GPS verbal/audio when in an urban/city setting where I don't dare take my eyes off the road of idiot crazy drivers and pedestrians who have no regard for their personal safety . . .

for (non-movie) videos I almost always set up the playback speed to 2x - I'll stop and reduce if there's something of real interest/detail . . . so subtitles are much better than 2x audio.
then again, come to think about it, I've never watched a movie on the computer . . .

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I intensely dislike computers and phone "talking" to me . . . I only enable GPS verbal/audio when in an urban/city setting where I don't dare take my eyes off the road of idiot crazy drivers and pedestrians who have no regard for their personal safety . . .

for (non-movie) videos I almost always set up the playback speed to 2x - I'll stop and reduce if there's something of real interest/detail . . . so subtitles are much better than 2x audio.
then again, come to think about it, I've never watched a movie on the computer . . .
Me either. I've never watched any show or movie on my computer or on my phone. If I wanna watch something there is always a TV around. However I do read books on both the computer and the phone via kindle and Libby (Libby facilitates getting digital library books, some in kindle format, others in Libby format.).

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm watching Moby Dick, staring Gregory Peck. Made in 1956.
I bought the book. I tried twice to read it. Can't do it.
I swear without the subtitles no way I could watch Moby Dick.
Many shows the people slur or seem to mumble their lines. And the subtitles are mucho better than old close caption used to be. Easy to turn on and off also. Very handy.

chowderman

good example:

Doctor Who - world wide wanna-be
all the Doctors - starting with William Hartnell - were made rid of such heavy accents that the rest of the non-UK English speaking world could understand them . . until...
Peter Capaldi - at first it worked, then his accent became thicker and thicker until a non-Scot could understand only about 50% of his dialogue. I actually stopped watching his episodes. he carried the character well, but was next to impossible to understand.

so sub-titles are very useful.... then again, , , (fluent in German) watched Das Boot in a German airport cinema 'between flights'... and then saw it later on US TV with sub-titles . . . sub-titles lose an _enormous_ amount of the original. the small aside comments, incomplete sub-titles of what was actually said, the background comments . . . do not appear in sub-titles, nor the inflections and verbal 'eye rolls'
so, they're a yes&no thing....

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I use them when watching Spanish shows if they are well done and synchronized properly. Mi español no es muy bueno.

Reactions: Doc

power1

I have tinnitus. Had it a long time. Finally got used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have tinnitus. Had it a long time. Finally got used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore.
Similar here. I have had it for decades. I'm used to it and it does not bother me but as I've got older it does attribute to part of my hearing loss. That bothers me. Hearing aids do not fix the issue.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Me too. Don't even notice it much. But it does interfere.
That's the boat that I'm in too. Add in the fact that I also have hearing loss.

My wife and I sometimes watch TV together in the evening but mostly don't. She watches all the cooking shows and flipping shows or University of Tennessee sports. I watch old westerns or some other movie or football on Sundays. She always complains that I have the volume 'way too high anyway. That drove me to try the Close Caption option tonight. It took me a little while hunting through all the menu options to find it and turn it on.

After watching Randolph Scott and "Gabby" Hayes with the volume turned way down, I think that I could get used to this and it'll stop the TV terrifying the dogs every time there is a gunfight. :yum: :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
What'd you say?

I have tinnitus too from working in the plywood mill for 10 years. It's mainly in my left ear so I moved my chair in the living room to the right of where my wife sits so now it's a nice peaceful high pitched white noise. But I don't do subtitles yet. For me, the tv is mostly on for background noise as I'm doing other things.

it's all about downhill

Nuts
GOLD Site Supporter
There must be no millennials listening here… all affirmative answers. When the grandkids watch anything I think it is set to quiet whisper. They don’t mind turning them on for grandpa (and they do it so much faster than I am

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have them on when Ozzie Osborene or Biden is talking because I cant beleve what they are saying;)

• Haha