• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Storing snowcat during the winter

josh312

Hey all, new snowcat owner here. Does anyone have tips/recommendations for storing a snowcat when I'm not using it during the winter time. I have an LMC 1500, and I'm in an area that gets a lot of snow. I'm still building a garage to store it in, so I may have to leave it outside this winter. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

jo5

remove the negative cable from batteries ,... so they don't loose their charge, and in case the rodents chew something you wont have an electrical fire,.....
I put a battery disconnect switch in mind on the battery cable in the cab have them in all my equipment
also so a large windshield cover to keep sun off inside and a cover for the rad grill to keep snow from blowing in a piece of pasteboard and fubber bunie work ok
i try to park it into the sun if possible
have mind parked on gravel
pay attention when you first move it to make sure th tracks not froze down
you can’t allows park it where you want to

josh312

Thanks so much. Appreciate all of the replies. I was also thinking about just covering it with a big tarp. Keep the snow off and maybe keep the tracks from freezing to the ground.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks so much. Appreciate all of the replies. I was also thinking about just covering it with a big tarp. Keep the snow off and maybe keep the tracks from freezing to the ground.
I cover mine with a cover I bought that is used for a small camp trailer.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Some will differ with my opinion: every couple weeks in the operational period start the engine and bring it to operational temp.

josh312

Got it yeah. I do plan on using it every couple of weeks. But in between it’ll be sitting outside exposed to the elements :(

MNwr786

No, just use it when storing for a month or more. It lubricates the piston rings so they don't seize and crack when you go to crank it over.

zspryte

Site Supporter
Keep an eye on how much snow accumulates on its cab. Some cabs don't have enough strength to bare a full winter's snow load which by us can be 300 to 500 lbs per square foot. A local full cap Imp has a few 2x4's columns inside to support its roof. When my snowblower gets too much snow on it, like 6 or 8 feet, the tires pop off the rims. Don't know if that can happen on a cat.

A few years back some hunters had to leave their new-ist pickup truck in the forest for the winter after getting stuck in an early snow storm. In the spring the sheriff retrieved a pancake. I wish I had photos to share.

MNwr786

Something happen for a reason
JPPoker
please explain that non-english link that appears to be a website to lose money fast.... is there a back door to some top-secret forum of cool people or just another poker website? I'm good at poker, but at least blackjack can be manipulated mathematically to win...

HankScorpio

My Tucker is on the mountain all winter. I have disconnects on the battery, if its going to be more than a week or two I just bring the battery home. Watch for snow and ice buildup on the tracks. It will snow and then when the sun comes out the dripping melt water will get on the tracks and freeze things up. I also have a wooden broom handle with a uhmw scraper attached to the end. I use it to poke at the tracks and plow to knock off accumulated snow when I park. If you don't get the crusty chunks off and then park it for a while it can result in a big frozen mass and that can break things when you go to move. I also try to grease the bogies after I use the cat, it pushes any water that may have got into the bearings out before it sits and freezes up.