Header image

Soooooo, what’s your favorite side by side?

Nort Woods

I have always been partial to Yamaha‘s fit and finish. I have a 2014 “Viking” (I always tend to throw up a little in my mouth when I say that word as I am a Packer fan.) and have zero complaints about it. I am thinking about something new and at this point it will be a Can Am Defender, as Yamaha hasn’t moved up in size from the 700. Not a fan Of Polaris or Arctic Cat.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Since my last post I got rid of the Gator XUV 550, gave it to my S-I-L, and got a Kubota RTV x1120. The Kubota is a completely different class of machine. It's no speedster but at my age, neither am I. I did take it out on the road and thrash it all the way up to 30 mph. It went up to 26 mph in a reasonable time and crept up to 30 mph over the next day and a half. :)
That doesn't bother me too much as I bought it to be a workhorse and that it certainly is. I haven't been able to bog it down anywhere on my little kingdom while toting all kinds of stuff. I do believe that it will outlast me.

Nort Woods

Since my last post I got rid of the Gator XUV 550, gave it to my S-I-L, and got a Kubota RTV x1120. The Kubota is a completely different class of machine. It's no speedster but at my age, neither am I. I did take it out on the road and thrash it all the way up to 30 mph. It went up to 26 mph in a reasonable time and crept up to 30 mph over the next day and a half. :)
That doesn't bother me too much as I bought it to be a workhorse and that it certainly is. I haven't been able to bog it down anywhere on my little kingdom while toting all kinds of stuff. I do believe that it will outlast me.
The Kubota is probably the best machine out there if it is going to be used for work and not trail riding. 3 cyl. diesel engine is definitely a workhorse! Like you said ETF, it’s not fast but it certainly gets the job done. I think you made a great choice. On another note, the cab enclosure (with doors) on the Gator is very nice. Up north the cab enclosure is always something to keep in mind (especially in the winter). I didn’t have that forethought when I bought my Yamaha. They have no total enclosed cab options other than the crappy aftermarket vinyl door systems that Velcro on (POS)! congratulations on your new toy, I mean work equipment.

Reactions: Doc

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I have an old Cushman truck for hauling things around here. Starts and runs every time. 20 hp. Kholer 3 forward gears with reverse. Tops out around 30 mph. Enclosed hard cab and doors with wipers. Has a payload of around 1500# ( heavy frame and suspension, built for industrial use ) and pulls a small trailer. Only one drawback is its on the heavy side and it doesn't take much to get stuck.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
I have had a few side by sides. Love my Honda Pioneer. It will get up and go. It's fast and dependable and will seat 5. but my favorite is my RTV x1100c with the 3 cyl diesel. Enclosed cab!!!! I was looking for the RTV 1140 with two bench seats for hauling more people and gear to our boat docks at rear of property. The guy with it would not come down. In the mean time a friend posted the RTV x1100c. It was his wfes dads machine. He had passed and they just wanted to sell it. I got what I think it a great deal on it and I'm so glad the guy with the open two bench seat model would not deal with me. The enclosed cab is da bomb this time of year. Love it.

6.jpg

Thebartman

Wow. Another year has gone by. I love the Polaris. 2000 trouble free miles. It looks a little different now...

Attachments

• 66BDC2EE-48AF-43D1-BB77-BEBD8B8FD3DC.png
    66BDC2EE-48AF-43D1-BB77-BEBD8B8FD3DC.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 8
  • EFA3EC68-A8AD-438D-863A-3253B3DB7DD0.png
    EFA3EC68-A8AD-438D-863A-3253B3DB7DD0.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 8

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've toyed with the idea of upgrading my cfmoto uforce 500 to something a little bigger but I take mine in some tight spots where I have only a couple inches to spare with the mirrors folded in. It does a respectable 52mph. I gave it a 2" lift and bigger 27" swamplite tires last fall. Doing that gave me an additional 4-5" clearance over the stock 10.2" clearance. Stock width is 58" wide making it not much wider than atvs. Because of the increased height, it became unstable at higher speeds so I installed 1.5" wheel spacers to widen then tire stance slightly. It helped and no longer fish tails but is still narrow enough.

As for reliability, I now have close to 3000 miles on it without a single mechanical or warranty issue. I love the dump box option as I use it for hunting, work around the yard, and firewood. It's a 2018 model. Other than the upgrades I've done, I have only had to replace one battery.

20211026_125205.jpg

Nort Woods

I've toyed with the idea of upgrading my cfmoto uforce 500 to something a little bigger but I take mine in some tight spots where I have only a couple inches to spare with the mirrors folded in. It does a respectable 52mph. I gave it a 2" lift and bigger 27" swamplite tires last fall. Doing that gave me an additional 4-5" clearance over the stock 10.2" clearance. Stock width is 58" wide making it not much wider than atvs. Because of the increased height, it became unstable at higher speeds so I installed 1.5" wheel spacers to widen then tire stance slightly. It helped and no longer fish tails but is still narrow enough.

As for reliability, I now have close to 3000 miles on it without a single mechanical or warranty issue. I love the dump box option as I use it for hunting, work around the yard, and firewood. It's a 2018 model. Other than the upgrades I've done, I have only had to replace one battery.

View attachment 143286
LOL Northern Redneck! I hear what you are saying about tight places. It’s beneficial to have a little narrower machine sometimes. I have gotten my Yamaha stuck between 2 trees More than once (thank goodness for EPS!) But you know, you always have that positive moment, “I can get through there”, but you can’t!

J5 Bombardier

Wife bought a Ranger 1000 , she loves it, she takes her Dad ( who has dementia) , on trail rides . 2 thousand miles later no problems . The Shepherd has dibs on riding in the back .J5 Bombardier :hammer:

Attachments

• 2021-06-19 july 2021 007 - Copy.jpg
    2021-06-19 july 2021 007 - Copy.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 5

Nort Woods

Wife bought a Ranger 1000 , she loves it, she takes her Dad ( who has dementia) , on trail rides . 2 thousand miles later no problems . The Shepherd has dibs on riding in the back .J5 Bombardier :hammer:
Right on J5. I don’t know what it is but man’s best friend loves to go for rides. Greta prefers to drive which makes feel uneasy!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Should have mentioned it is a Polaris.

Glad she's had no problems with it. My buddy at camp bought a ranger 570 the same time I bought mine. He rarely takes his off the gravel roads down trails and mainly uses it to cruise around the campground. He's only got about 700 miles on it now and has already had to change a cv boot and a busted rad hose.

• Wow

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
I rented a Polaris 900 while in Utah near Zion National Park. Wow that things was fun. Had a blast riding the hills and sand dunes. Loved it. Most confortable seats of any side by side I've driven. And it had more power than the side by sides I've owned.

After getting home I strongly considered buying one but the small bed area and it's set up is more for sport riding and I require a work side by side.

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I rented a Polaris 900 while in Utah near Zion National Park. Wow that things was fun. Had a blast riding the hills and sand dunes. Loved it. Most confortable seats of any side by side I've driven. And it had more power than the side by sides I've owned.

After getting home I strongly considered buying one but the small bed area and it's set up is more for sport riding and I require a work side by side.
A short ride from my home. Fresh snow is a treat.