• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

something for my snowtrac to pull

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
I needed something for my snowtrac to pull home so I got a 1404 imp. It needs some work but seems to run ok. I call it my pumpkin

Attachments

• MVC-013F.JPG
    MVC-013F.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 390
  • MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 396
  • MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 394
  • MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 389

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I needed something for my snowtrac to pull home so I got a 1404 imp. It needs some work but seems to run ok. I call it my pumpkin

Be careful what you wish for!!! The Imp may pull your snowtrac home someday. :thumb: They are a great small cat and yours looks like it is in real good shape. You will strengthen your right arm shifting all of those gears ....:yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Larry, it looks like it is missing a steering wheel :17875:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pumkins dont have steering wheels!!YOU HAVE TO PULL THEM AROUND.
Larry you just did a great job of describing BigAl's Kristi :yum:

So in all seriousness, what are your intentions for "the Pumpkin" and its future? Looks like it has a nice cargo area on the back. Will it be used to haul building supplies, bulky equipment, etc out to your remote cabin?

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
Well I plan on pulling a drag with it and use it to haul fire wood ,supplies ect.
I am going to try to haul a small snow go with me just incase the pumpkin breaks down. I have ran imps before but I have never pulled big loads with one or worked one real hard,I have even got to pull one with my snow trac to get it started.So it will be fun to compare the two of them.I like the way the imps turn sharp on tight trails.Any way it should be fun!!!! Right now it has a real bad case of the clacken tracks!I dont know if there is a bearing going out or if one track is to lose or what,haven't had time to really look it over yet.Just so I can say that I pulled a snow trac with my imp,I could go pull Alaska 120s snow trac out of his wifes shop befor he gets his head skinned!!

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
WELL as far as pulling a drag with an Imp I would not. The oc-4 clark rearend is great for a normally loaded Imp. The oc-4 would quickley deteriorate pulling anything with resistance. You want something like a super Imp with the oc-12 rear in it.

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
What is a normal load for 1404 IMP? What is the diff between hauling a load and pulling a load? or is there any?IMPLESS in Alaska.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Well I plan on pulling a drag with it and use it to haul fire wood ,supplies ect.

If you are going use a drag behind the Imp, I would strongly consider setting it up with ram steering. It will save a lot of steering/brake band wear, rear end problems and the Imp will manuver like it has power steering.

Below is a pic of a ram steer set-up where you actually turn the drag and cat via hydraulic cylinders mounted between your drag and snowcat.
Ram Steer (Medium).jpg

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
That is a pretty neat looking set up.but a little to fancy for me,maybe I could put a Gee-pole stearing assist on it.??

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
That is a pretty neat looking set up.but a little to fancy for me,maybe I could put a Gee-pole stearing assist on it.??

Okay you win, what is a Gee-pole stearing assist. Is it gee, I pulled the stick and I hope it goes that way.....:yum:

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
Ya got it right!!!:applause: The old time dog mushers used a pole on the front of their freight sleds to help steer heavy loads.maybe that will work on a limp imp???:drink:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Weak spot will be the axles. The aux transmission allows alot of torque to the rear.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
You would be much better off all around with a Thiokol 1202B with the oc-12. If you had both Imp and snowtrac hooked up to it in the rear pulling the other way the 1202 would walk away not even knowing something was behind it!

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
If I had the money in my wallet to buy a 1202B with the oc12 and hooked it up behind my snow trac and imp then hooked my wife to it,she could walk the other way and not even know anything was behind her!!! Guess I'm stuck with the imp.What is a normal load for the 1404 imp?

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
I park her in my bathroom! I only drive her when I want to take a red neck bubble bath.If you will pm me your mailing address I will send you a bag of high-tech bubble bath free of charge.A seismic guy like you will get a kick out of it.:thumb:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Larry's Orange Pumkin "Imp" will be running long after he gets the Snowtracs back to gether after this last winter's playing around.... :thumb:

Yeah, his one shot at pull starting an "Imp" was mine when the starter went out. It was only about a 12' pull to start the Imp and the snowtrac was starting to bog down after the spring "Sling shot" energy ran out of the Nylon rope..... Wasn't a pretty site either....:pat:

But now he has a Great Pumkin to bail him out when needed... figure there will be a snowtrac sale shortly now that he has a real tracked rig...:coolshade ....

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
Wow!! Fogtenderizer fessed-up!!I pulled his wimpy imp with my snowtrac!!!The only spring I felt was when we wound up the rubber band that powers his Mickey mouse wimp-mobile.:poke: MY SNOWTRAC PULLED HIS IMP!!!!:yum:

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
I am going to take a can of yellow spray paint on trail with me this year so I can touch up the skinned places on Alaska 120s pretty new paint job he put on his st4 snow trac and I can use it to put a big yellow X on fogtenderizers imp when it breaks down on trail (foggies favorite color):poke::yum:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Geeze, good thing Larry got the Imp, now he has something to retrieve all the Snowtrac's he has.... and go pick up all the parts that they keep losing along the trail..

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
I have to find time to pick up my tools so I can work on my imp first. Then I can run it on trail, break down and then drag it home with my snowtrac!!:moon: :poke: :yum: Good videos Mark ,where is the one of the snowtrac pulling the imp?????:weneedpic

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Could we see some pictures of the trailer tha you pull with the Imp? I am brainstorming a design for a trailer myself..